(XianXi/MKL etc) Gamesx Neo-Geo RGB pinout.... incorrect?

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
To XX, MKL or others,

[Ok - so I am probably wrong here...]

I have a feeling that the NeoGeo pinout on gamesx.com is incorrect.

I am 99% sure that pin 3 is video sync - not pin 7.

I only mentioned this now as I was browsing the wiki and noticed the same diagram here:

http://www.neo-geo.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Consolize_an_MVS_Board

I'll have to check at some point - this is just me remembering things I've done a while back...

Last edited:

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Just to confirm, I wire up 3V at pin 16, making the scart input switch to RGB mode.

It then accepts sync on pin 20.

If I connect pin 3 to pin 20, I get a picture
If I connect pin 7 to pin 20, no picture...

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Composite video is usually hooked instead of composite sync in most rgb scart cables I've seen. I have also noticed that in later models of the aes, there is no composite sync output. Composite video comes out of both pins 3 and 7.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Composite video is usually hooked instead of composite sync in most rgb scart cables I've seen. I have also noticed that in later models of the aes, there is no composite sync output. Composite video comes out of both pins 3 and 7.

That's must the same as the link from MKL.

I am using the a scart cable wired for Neo Geo RGB.

And from my Panatwin, I am only taking R,G,B,Sync and Ground from the Jamma edge - there is no composite - and I have the same issue.

(One other possible reason is that my scart lead was wired incorrectly.)

The question remains - how come the later revision systems output RGB and no Sync???

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

That's must the same as the link from MKL.

I am using the a scart cable wired for Neo Geo RGB.

And from my Panatwin, I am only taking R,G,B,Sync and Ground from the Jamma edge - there is no composite - and I have the same issue.

(One other possible reason is that my scart lead was wired incorrectly.)

The question remains - how come the later revision systems output RGB and no Sync???

The correct pin conections are

From Jamma board to FEMALE SCART

Components side---------------------------------------------------->Female SCART

Pin 12 (Green)--------------> 1K resistor --> + 47 microf cap - --------->Pin 11
Pin 13 (Sync) --------------> 3K resistor --> + 47 microf cap - --------->Pin 20

Solders side

Pin 12 (Red) --------------->1K resistor --> + 47 microf cap - ---------->Pin 15
Pin 13 (Blue) --------------->1K resistor --> + 47 microf cap - ----------->Pin 7

I hope this solve your question, I've used these conections and them work fine, below is fully detailled, but take care there is an error, the R5 must be conected directly to RV5 not to R6.

This is the scheme
http://www.data-sat.com/_private/JAMMA EUROCONECTOR.pdf

Another issue is RV's are pots and only these are used on "sofisticated" CMVS and superguns

Saludos

Last edited:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member

Because the composite video signal also contains the sync info. TVs (unlike arcade monitors) are designed to strip that info from video so feeding them composite or sync is the same, that's why the sync output could be eliminated on later neos. As a matter of fact consoles RGB cables use composite video instead of syncs. As for the Neo pinout, pin 3 is always composite. All the links posted in this page are in agreement on this. If the Panatwin has sync on pin 3 then it doesn't have the same pinout as the neo.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
LOL this spaniard is going to post the same shit in every thread

Tinieblas

Marked Wolf
excelente trabajo fremen, me quede con el ojo cuadrado, cuanto tiempo te tomo?

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

LOL this spaniard is going to post the same shit in every thread

I'm trying to help people to make a right SCART supergun because all of them have the same problem, a bad wired SCART supergun.

By the other hand I understand your point, so I delete in this treat the links on how to, only I left the scheme.

Saludos

Last edited:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Hi,

I'm trying to help people to make a right SCART supergun because all of them have the same problem, a bad wired SCART supergun.

No, not in this case. If you read post #3 you would know the OP doesn't have any problem to hook up his supergun to his TV. he's just assuming that since pin 3 is sync on the supergun the same must be true for the neo geo home system.

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

No, not in this case. If you read post #3 you would know the OP doesn't have any problem to hook up his supergun to his TV. he's just assuming that since pin 3 is sync on the supergun the same must be true for the neo geo home system.

I'm sorry for this misunderstanding, I try to do my best only but my English is so bad, please be patient with me.

Chi vediamo

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Sefer Halilović (Xian Xi --if you refuse to deal with him over a name change a mod will stab*;3042525 said:
Is everything squared away El Capitan?

I'm thoroughly confused. Late as it it, I'm going downstairs with a multimeter....

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Let's start with the simple questions,

What board revision Neo do you have?

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
(Thanks for the help so far!)

I have about 5 or 6 AES systems from 019600 up to 220xxx - so all sorts.

So here's the thing:

I am using a scart lead I bought off eBay (lol - bad start?), and it looks like it's the wiring in there which is odd / not how i expected.

[I HAVE EDITED THIS LINE] I've just tested it now, I was expecting pin 7 from the Neo Din to be wired to pin 20, but in this lead, it's pin 3.

This seems fine with what MKL says - the RGB sync can be got from either the dedicated sync pin or the composite video signal pin. (It would be good for someone to just confirm this statement.)

The reason I have been looking into this is that I wanted to make all my superguns, CMVS etc etc have the same DIN socket as the Neo (for RGB outut). This means only one type of scart cable would fit everything. I was therefore using the gamesx pinout and was planning to put sync to pin 7.

The real question is now whether this scart lead is considered correctly wired up for NeoGeo - it works, but it it correct?
Basically - if I bought a brand new, SNK official RGB scart lead, how would it be wired up? Which pin on the Din plug would take a signal to pin 20 of the scart connector? Is this cable I got off eBay wired up correctly?

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You can use either pin just like MKL said. If you don't plan to use composite video at all you can just use both pins with sync on a CMVS. But just like MKL said the converters usually take the sync information from the composite signal when presented to them. I'd leave the sockets as they are with composite on 3 and sync on 7.

You should check your scart cable, do a continuity test to see if pin 20 from the scart socket goes to pin 3 or pin 7 on the din side.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Sefer Halilović (Xian Xi --if you refuse to deal with him over a name change a mod will stab*;3042718 said:
You should check your scart cable, do a continuity test to see if pin 20 from the scart socket goes to pin 3 or pin 7 on the din side.

[I HAVE EDITED THIS LINE] I've just tested it now, I was expecting pin 7 from the Neo Din to be wired to pin 20, but in this lead, it's pin 3.

I know how this cable is wired up. I guess I need to know how a proper SNK Neo Geo scart lead should be wired up.

I would have a problem if I wire up a CMVS to work with this scart lead I have (i.e. Sync to pin 3 on the Din socket).... but then I sold the CMVS to someone who used their own scart lead which had Sync wired to pin 7....

I really gotta go to sleep. Fingers crossed you (or anyone else) knows what the standard should be...

Last edited:

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

I know how this cable is wired up. I guess I need to know how a proper SNK Neo Geo scart lead should be wired up.

I would have a problem if I wire up a CMVS to work with this scart lead I have (i.e. Sync to pin 7 on the Din socket).... but then I sold the CMVS to someone who used their own scart lead which had Sync wired to pin 3....

I really gotta go to sleep. Fingers crossed you (or anyone else) knows what the standard should be...

I'm sorry for my posts above, I've asked with one of the most Spanish respetables cosole modders and he told me that he does his cables wiring the neo pin 3 to SCART pin 20 and he never uses neo pin 7, actually neo pin 7 is not used even in the models that the sync is not assigned to the pin 7, he uses always pin 3 to pin 20.

Saludos

Last edited:

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

The only SNK official RGB cable isn't scart, it's wired according to the Japanese 21-pin RGB pinout and uses pin 7 of the A/V port as sync:

http://a.imageshack.us/img180/7258/fcg9.jpg

This is the conections used by this guy abovementoned

Neo RGB Conector----------------------------------->European SCART

1--------------------Sound------------------------------>6 and 2 (if it doesn't work you can use 1 and 3)

2--------------------GND-------------------------------->17 and 21

3----------------Composite Video------------------------->20

4-----------------100 ohms resistor----------------------->16 (to activate the RGB mode in the SCART)

5--------------------RED--------------------------------->11

6-------------------GREEN-------------------------------->15

7------------------------------------------------------>Not used

8---------------------BLUE-------------------------------->7

Saludos

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
I must have been tired last night - for complete confirmation:

This scart lead I have is wired pin 3 on the Din (composite video out) to pin 20 on the Scart (Sync input with pin 16 blanking enabled).

The same as the fremen's friend.

And there is no SNK scart standard.

Many thanks for everyone's help.