What is the best Samurai Shodown game?

What version of Samurai Shodown on the Neo is the best?

• Total voters

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I know this has been done before. But new members join all the time, and people change their minds as they keep on collecting. It is well known that Samurai Shodown 2 is considered as the greatest Samurai Shodown game ever created. But when topics about this arise, everyone seems to think 3 is the HNIC. Let's get this straightened out for the time being.

P.S. If you pick 1,4,5, or 5 Special, you must have never played 3.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
The only thing that 3 only really had against itself was the rediculously high damage. If you could deal w/ that and consider it more of a Bushido Blade like feel then you could probably put 3 right up against 2.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
2 is the best, 3 is my favorite.

I voted 3 as best just to be contrary.

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
I've played them all, and while 2 is my favorite SS overall, i have had a lot of fun recently in SSVS.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
2>1>4>3>5S>5

The first two Shodown games are definitely the best of the series.

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
SS2 all ways will be for me.

Though follow by SS3&Tenka.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Although SS2 is technically superior to the original in every way I still prefer to play the original game.

I may change my mind to SS3 if I ever play the fixed version. I had a lot of fun with that game but there were a few flaws that keep it from being top tier to me.

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
I should pick 2 but 4 just plays the best for me. So 4 it is.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
2 for me, mainly just because SS1 and 2 were huge deals for me as a kid, arcades were big and samurai shodown cabs were super common.

I could count on one hand the amount of times I have seen SS3 and 4 in a arcade. so I just don't have that deep nostalgic love for them.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
SS2, I had SSV for a while and I didnt care much for it. I still need to try out SSIV though.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
neo-geo forum history lesson: LoneSage made liking SSIII cool.

BIGTIME

Galford's Armourer
OMG why is everyone bashing IV? I grew up on Sam Sho I, II and III. Even though those three make me feel like a kid again and bring back tons of great memories I still think IV is the best. The gameplay was just so damn good and the character lineup was excellent. That being said I have only played V a handfull of times.:buttrock:

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I have a lot of fun with 2 but my favorite is 3 even though I don't have as much fun with it. 3 is a darker game, zero fun to be had with 3 when you can get sliced in half with 2 well placed slahes. 3 feels more tangible, like a real duel rather than 2 which is more like SFII with swords.

I voted for 3 of course :emb:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
SSVS and SSIV are great games, SFIV is the zanny of the bunch while SSVS has the best button setup ever! Love that D! I'm probably the only one that likes every single SS, I love them all but not equally.

BIGTIME

Galford's Armourer
Because it sucks. It's a combo-licious heap of garbage that does everything wrong except bring in a couple good characters.

I guess. All I know after playing them both through with each character is IV was way better than III. Therefore III must blow the the big one if IV sucks.