What is the best Samurai Shodown game?

What version of Samurai Shodown on the Neo is the best?

• Total voters

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
samurai shodown 2 is definitely the best..the most balanced for sure. What makes it most memorable is how each stage perfectly matches the character. I liked sam sho 4 but the stages were all over the place.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I've never played 5, is it not worth owning?

Is it the same game as 5 Special?

In my opinion V isn't worth owning. V Special is better. Some people like to complain and say it's shit, it's not. It's just probably the weakest title.

1 can be had for like $20.00 shipped. It's worth that for sure. I would say just buy them in order and skip V, and just get V Special on that multcart if you wanna try it. It is NOT worth hundreds of dollars.

I like 2+3 = tied for first.

Sam sho 4

Then I don't really know. 2,3, and 4 are the ones you will always come back too.

I'm not sure of all the differences of V to V Special, but I know V has a boss that was omitted from Special. Sankuro or Sanjuro, I can't remember. V special is basically V with new bosses, more characters, and tweaking.

Last edited:

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
The shitty thing with V special is it isnt a very accessible title in the series. Both the AES and MVS cartridge cost hundreds and its the only sam sho title not in the samurai shodown anthology. The only way to play it without dropping tons of cash is to play it on an emulator or a multicart. Is the multicart emulation any good ? i heard some games like Garou can be shit on a multicart , personally ive never tried a multicart

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
The shitty thing with V special is it isnt a very accessible title in the series. Both the AES and MVS cartridge cost hundreds and its the only sam sho title not in the samurai shodown anthology. The only way to play it without dropping tons of cash is to play it on an emulator or a multicart. Is the multicart emulation any good ? i heard some games like Garou can be shit on a multicart , personally ive never tried a multicart

I've heard it runs well on the 161-in 1. But I don't own it. Garou on the other hand is a beta version. That's why it sucks.

After getting Sam she 1-4 there are many other great fighters besides V. Like ninja masters, garou, last blade, waku waku 7, fatal fury 3, or any real bout game. I would suggest getting all those before V.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
whats the consensus on sam sho 6?

It's shit. No blood and they changed the voice actors. AND they recycled the character sprites for the millionth time. You're not missing anything. SNKP really needs to make a new SamSho with a fresh look like KOFXIII

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Is the multicart emulation any good ?
it's not emulation, the multicarts work with roms - so as long as the hardware of the multicart and the dump are good, it should play the same as a legit cart... it certainly is good enough to check SSVS out (and realize it's not the hot shit so many idiots make it out to be - but you could do that for cheaper with PC emulation).

After getting Sam she 1-4 there are many other great fighters besides V. Like ninja masters, garou, last blade, waku waku 7, fatal fury 3, or any real bout game. I would suggest getting all those before V.
So much this. The system has much better to offer and you should really get a greater variety (and not just SamSho titles - I'd say get the cheapos (1&2), they're awesome and then check out other series first).

Last edited:

plasmapants

Rugal's Thug
I like the 1st one just because that was the start, weapons in a fighting game and so unique to the other brawlers at the time and earthquake stage rocks, but 4 has to be my favourite due to how dark the games feel was compared to the 1st 3 and it played so fluid and fast.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
What's this Sam Sho VI you all speak of? Is that something like Sam Sho Hyper 64?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
No it isn't, geez talk about bullshit talker not knowing any better. You don't like it and that's alright but the game is solid.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Play Sam Sho as a 6 button game, it will blow your mind.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Yes! At least with Samsho 2, surreal. Used to have the PC version which was pretty good for the times and it had the option for a 6 button set up, loved it! Sometimes I play the rom just so I can play it this way. 4 buttons is still king. Funny how I can't for the life of me be able to play Karnov's with PP KK, I switch the wires to PK PK ala KOF, I dunno it just flows better for me.

World Heroes Perfect is also amazing as a 6 button game.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I really need to play VI. I assume I would like i because I like all the Samurai Shodown games, even the Hyper 64 release.

I was hinting at earlier that it is just one of those games like the Hyper 64 one that people have forgotten about, or don't even know exist.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Samurai showdown 6 is not a bad game. Its not as good as the older ones, but it's still fun. Wish they kept the violence though.

I really liked Warriors Rage on ps1, but I might be blinded by nostalgia. It was one of my first ps1 games.

I feel all the entries to this series are solid. Except for Sen.

Samurai showdown Sen is the worst.

enix2093

Crazed MVS Addict
I agree with what a couple others were saying. SS2 is technically superior, but my vote is SS1 because I love it.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
Only played the 2nd and 3rd so far. I like the 2nd a bit more because it has a better character roster. Charlotte is my favorite.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I know this has been done before. But new members join all the time, and people change their minds as they keep on collecting. It is well known that Samurai Shodown 2 is considered as the greatest Samurai Shodown game ever created. But when topics about this arise, everyone seems to think 3 is the HNIC. Let's get this straightened out for the time being.

P.S. If you pick 1,4,5, or 5 Special, you must have never played 3.
No way is 3 the best- but I've probably haven't played it enough to really judge it. I like the first one the most (and SSIV), as the gameplay is almost as good as SS2, and it has Tam Tam. The gameplay mechanics changed from 3 onwards (not necessarily for the better), and I prefer the graphics (sprites, backgrounds) of the first two SS games. In any case, the first four games (SS, SSII, SSIII, SSIV) are way better than the last two (SSV, SSVS). It's just like the Metal Slug series, where the ones after 3 aren't as good. And nobody has played SSVS Final Edition, but that's probably about as good as the last two.

2>1>4>3>5S>5

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I like all the Samshos bu my favorite is 2 simply 'cause I have played it a whole lot more than the rest. It's a shame the button layout isn't like 3 or 5S. 2 buttons for kicks feel unnecessary on samsho 2.

3>2>5S>5>1>>>4

Oh wow, I'm gong to agree that 5S is a great game, I'm surprised that you feel that way.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
I enjoy all the NG ones for different reasons. (only 1-5S, I couldn't dig 6)

Samsho 1 is forever my king. It was my first Neo Geo game, and still the entry of the series I've dumped the most time into. I know 2 is a better game, but it's 1 I keep going back to the most. 3 was definitely the most rewarding and technical to play, and packs some of my favorite visuals on the Neo. 4 brought back my faves Charlotte and Jubei (my -only- beef with SS3 was dropping those two), and gave me some neat finishers, both major pluses for me! Feels like a slightly simplified 3, but with a bigger roster. I mean, yeah, it still keeps the Slash/Bust system, but I dunno, playing it just doesn't feel as smooth! Pity the backgrounds are so lackluster, though. 5 Isn't a terrible game but 5 Special removes Sankuro, making it my definitive SS5. God. I hate. Sankuro. I'm not a fan of losing Slash/Bust in favour of just filling more character slots with the counterparts. Feels cheap to me.

Last edited: