Refresh my Memory...

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
It's been a while since I have played any of the fighting games. Swapping carts on a motherboard erases unlocked characters and high scores right? I never really had the problem since I had one mb dedicated to each game. I might try for an adapter board that will allow you to save everything on one mb. I have several rev1 boards laying around and it'd be nice to get rid of them.

NM, searched and got it. I'll work this into my schedule when I have time.

Last edited:

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Like a hyper memory card of sorts?

If you could work something out as an off board storage board... like rather than internal to each cart, you could have a breakout board... would be great.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Like a hyper memory card of sorts?

If you could work something out as an off board storage board... like rather than internal to each cart, you could have a breakout board... would be great.

Well I'm assuming the sram on the mb gets wiped when the game is swapped. I could just remove and put a large switchable sram chip on board where each bank can be switched dedicated to a game. Or just have multiple sram chips. The larger the size on sram, the higher the price. 32k and under seem pretty cheap, so it might be easier to just put multiple.

I could make a memory card, but it would probably be more useful to just be attached to the mb. Since there are no memory card utilities and only 4 games.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Well I'm assuming the sram on the mb gets wiped when the game is swapped. I could just remove and put a large switchable sram chip on board where each bank can be switched dedicated to a game. Or just have multiple sram chips. The larger the size on sram, the higher the price. 32k and under seem pretty cheap, so it might be easier to just put multiple.

I could make a memory card, but it would probably be more useful to just be attached to the mb. Since there are no memory card utilities and only 4 games.

Yeah I don't see any need for anything compact and fancy like a memory card.
Especially given all the extra space on the hyper mobo, I would think that having a setup attached there that you could just reach in and flip would be perfect.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
That would be bad ass. I would love to see this and a "Hyper UniBios" one day...(hint, hint) :drool:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Traced the pins this morning and I think its easily doable. I know nothing about making a unibios for it, but at least we can have one board with all our scores/unlocks saved.

This mod would require more soldering. But the good news is that if people were to send these to tech guys to install, you wouldn't need to send the entire board.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Awesome.

The breakout saves mod will be great. Everyone can now finally swap out their carts in their hypers.

Unibios would be cool, but I guess it's one of those things where would someone with the know-how (smkdan ;) ) feel the motivation to do such a project for 4 games.

How are you thinking of laying it out? Like chassis mounted setup or something that sits on the actual motherboard?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
or something that sits on the actual motherboard?

Definitely sitting on the MB. A switch can be mounted anywhere you want, but the actual board would have to sit relatively close to where the existing sram is.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Definitely sitting on the MB. A switch can be mounted anywhere you want, but the actual board would have to sit relatively close to where the existing sram is.

There's a few extra threaded screw holes near the SRAM location on the Rev1 so mounting it there is very doable. You just need a small spacer so the PCB won't be sitting on bare metal.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I'm looking into about a 2.5" x 1.5" pcb to hold the sram and battery. Probably going to be a single 1 Megabit split into 4 banks. One sram chip will save battery life instead of having four separate chips. It will have a separate battery and keep the one that's on board for the RTC chip.

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
I'm not really compelled to import a hyper right now but I'd only ever get one system board, so it's nice to see.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Got it working tonight. Its a fairly simple swap, just need a 1Mb sram chip with similar pinouts 2 resistors and a dip switch.

Example
00- Buriki One
01- Sam Sho 64
10- Sam Sho WR
11- Fatal Fury

Tried them all and each bank is holding save states when carts are swapped. I can show a pic later. I dont think there is a need to make a special board for this. The Hyper doesnt have a nice connecter to tap into to allow an easy install. Have to remove the existing surface mount sram chip solder a new one down in its place, wire up the resistors, wire up the switch. Anyone comfortable with surface mount soldering wont have a problem.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Cool dude. Let me know exactly which part I need and I'll do it on mine.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I'll get all the info together tomorrow. Compatible SRAM chips run a few bucks each.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
h64sram.jpg

LMK if this doesnt make any sense. This auction has a good sram chip for the job with the pinouts you need. Its SOJ, but you can still solder it down to the pads. Here is an example of a regular 2 position dip switch. Anything like this will work.

The only thing you have to do is make a guide as to what game is in each save bank. Time for me to dump these extra hyper boards I have...

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
That's understandable to me, and I'm a dope.

What would happen if you had the wrong bank selected when you started a game? Would it automatically overwrite what is on there? Would it be possible to make a copy of one of the banks?

PS - Great thread title. *wink*

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
That's understandable to me, and I'm a dope.

What would happen if you had the wrong bank selected when you started a game? Would it automatically overwrite what is on there? Would it be possible to make a copy of one of the banks?

PS - Great thread title. *wink*

that's what I thought when I was looking at the diagram.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
If you select the wrong bank it will be wiped. Thats why its a good idea to have a sticker on there that tells you what each bank is for. I dont know what would happen if you write protect the chip during boot, but it might help.

As far as copying the data, that would need a lot more to the circuit. I havent thought that far ahead.