Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refresh my Memory...

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!
    They call me Hell. They call me stacey. They call me her. They call me Jane. That's not my name. That's not my name. That's not my name. ☭

Refresh my Memory...

It's been a while since I have played any of the fighting games. Swapping carts on a motherboard erases unlocked characters and high scores right? I never really had the problem since I had one mb dedicated to each game. I might try for an adapter board that will allow you to save everything on one mb. I have several rev1 boards laying around and it'd be nice to get rid of them.

NM, searched and got it. I'll work this into my schedule when I have time.
    Last edited by NeoTurfMasta; 08-04-2010 at 03:38 PM.

Fighting Artist

Like a hyper memory card of sorts?

If you could work something out as an off board storage board... like rather than internal to each cart, you could have a breakout board... would be great.

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!
    They call me Hell. They call me stacey. They call me her. They call me Jane. That's not my name. That's not my name. That's not my name. ☭

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_haozi View Post
    Like a hyper memory card of sorts?

If you could work something out as an off board storage board... like rather than internal to each cart, you could have a breakout board... would be great.
    Well I'm assuming the sram on the mb gets wiped when the game is swapped. I could just remove and put a large switchable sram chip on board where each bank can be switched dedicated to a game. Or just have multiple sram chips. The larger the size on sram, the higher the price. 32k and under seem pretty cheap, so it might be easier to just put multiple.

I could make a memory card, but it would probably be more useful to just be attached to the mb. Since there are no memory card utilities and only 4 games.

Fighting Artist

Quote Originally Posted by NeoTurfMasta View Post
    Well I'm assuming the sram on the mb gets wiped when the game is swapped. I could just remove and put a large switchable sram chip on board where each bank can be switched dedicated to a game. Or just have multiple sram chips. The larger the size on sram, the higher the price. 32k and under seem pretty cheap, so it might be easier to just put multiple.

I could make a memory card, but it would probably be more useful to just be attached to the mb. Since there are no memory card utilities and only 4 games.
    Yeah I don't see any need for anything compact and fancy like a memory card.
    Especially given all the extra space on the hyper mobo, I would think that having a setup attached there that you could just reach in and flip would be perfect.

Tesse's Maintainence Man

That would be bad ass. I would love to see this and a "Hyper UniBios" one day...(hint, hint)

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!

Traced the pins this morning and I think its easily doable. I know nothing about making a unibios for it, but at least we can have one board with all our scores/unlocks saved.

This mod would require more soldering. But the good news is that if people were to send these to tech guys to install, you wouldn't need to send the entire board.

Fighting Artist

Awesome.

The breakout saves mod will be great. Everyone can now finally swap out their carts in their hypers.

Unibios would be cool, but I guess it's one of those things where would someone with the know-how (smkdan ) feel the motivation to do such a project for 4 games.

How are you thinking of laying it out? Like chassis mounted setup or something that sits on the actual motherboard?

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!

or something that sits on the actual motherboard?
    Definitely sitting on the MB. A switch can be mounted anywhere you want, but the actual board would have to sit relatively close to where the existing sram is.

Fighting Artist

Definitely sitting on the MB. A switch can be mounted anywhere you want, but the actual board would have to sit relatively close to where the existing sram is.
    Oh to limit wire travel? Didn't think of that.

JammaNationX

There's a few extra threaded screw holes near the SRAM location on the Rev1 so mounting it there is very doable. You just need a small spacer so the PCB won't be sitting on bare metal.

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!

I'm looking into about a 2.5" x 1.5" pcb to hold the sram and battery. Probably going to be a single 1 Megabit split into 4 banks. One sram chip will save battery life instead of having four separate chips. It will have a separate battery and keep the one that's on board for the RTC chip.

Galford's Armourer

I'm not really compelled to import a hyper right now but I'd only ever get one system board, so it's nice to see.

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!

Got it working tonight. Its a fairly simple swap, just need a 1Mb sram chip with similar pinouts 2 resistors and a dip switch.

Example
    00- Buriki One
    01- Sam Sho 64
    10- Sam Sho WR
    11- Fatal Fury

Tried them all and each bank is holding save states when carts are swapped. I can show a pic later. I dont think there is a need to make a special board for this. The Hyper doesnt have a nice connecter to tap into to allow an easy install. Have to remove the existing surface mount sram chip solder a new one down in its place, wire up the resistors, wire up the switch. Anyone comfortable with surface mount soldering wont have a problem.

Fighting Artist

Sounds great.

Does it still need a battery?

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!

Sounds great.

Does it still need a battery?
    It's using the one on board. Don't see any reason to put another one on there.

Fighting Artist

It's using the one on board. Don't see any reason to put another one on there.
    Ah so you were just going to add another if you were using a secondary board?

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!

Ah so you were just going to add another if you were using a secondary board?
    exactly

Fighting Artist

Got ya.

How much is it for a 1MB SRAM chip?

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!

I'll get all the info together tomorrow. Compatible SRAM chips run a few bucks each.

Fighting Artist

I'll get all the info together tomorrow. Compatible SRAM chips run a few bucks each.
    Cool thought so.

Take your time man... you have a lot going on now.

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!

Steers&Queers

LMK if this doesnt make any sense. This auction has a good sram chip for the job with the pinouts you need. Its SOJ, but you can still solder it down to the pads. Here is an example of a regular 2 position dip switch. Anything like this will work.

The only thing you have to do is make a guide as to what game is in each save bank. Time for me to dump these extra hyper boards I have...

That's understandable to me, and I'm a dope.

What would happen if you had the wrong bank selected when you started a game? Would it automatically overwrite what is on there? Would it be possible to make a copy of one of the banks?

PS - Great thread title. *wink*
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi
    I have to question your modus operandi, as you make statements about personal edification but choose to serve others in rather menial jobs. What would be to stop you from building the education to work a market to your advantage and provide your family with some kind of security? You're a pretty well read man. Don't tell me that you would rather work for small change and read spy novels than live the lives you read about. There's a time to move from fantasy into real life.
    Motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverSublime View Post
    That's understandable to me, and I'm a dope.

What would happen if you had the wrong bank selected when you started a game? Would it automatically overwrite what is on there? Would it be possible to make a copy of one of the banks?

PS - Great thread title. *wink*
    that's what I thought when I was looking at the diagram.
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken.

Neo Geo Dip Switch wiki page

Quote Originally Posted by SonGohan View Post
    I didn't even talk about how you live in a shack and shit in the fucking forest.
    Quote Originally Posted by SonGohan View Post
    I mean, at least I didn't say your wife should divorce you or comment on your need to play RE while shitting or whatever else was said.

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!

If you select the wrong bank it will be wiped. Thats why its a good idea to have a sticker on there that tells you what each bank is for. I dont know what would happen if you write protect the chip during boot, but it might help.

As far as copying the data, that would need a lot more to the circuit. I havent thought that far ahead.

Thread Information