Guwange coming to XBLA

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I still find it hard to believe how much hate and alienation people are expressing towards this game. Patch or no patch I think this port is incredible and ridiculously inexpensive not to own.

I'm kinda biased though, ..."

Nah, it's not your bias. It really was a great deal with or without the patch. It's pretty sad when people expect the sun and the stars for $10. They can't be happy with an incredible game at an incredible price.

Wouldn't be surprised if Cave didn't bother with any more XBLA ports considering the whiney nothing is ever good enough fan base that came out of the woodwork for this one.

$10...

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Cave announced last year that it was working on a Dangun port for XBLA to release sometime this year.

It's been discussed to death, but not putting a simple feature like 4:3 support in a 240p game is just ridiculous—it's such an easy thing to implement. People who are fans of the genre not being happy about this lack of attention to such a simple thing is hardly a cause to say that they "expect the sun and stars." Cave should have known this would be an issue from the start with all of their die hard fans.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Nah, it's not your bias. It really was a great deal with or without the patch. It's pretty sad when people expect the sun and the stars for $10. They can't be happy with an incredible game at an incredible price.

Wouldn't be surprised if Cave didn't bother with any more XBLA ports considering the whiney nothing is ever good enough fan base that came out of the woodwork for this one.

$10...
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. By the look of things it seems every port is criticized up the ying-yang.

The way I look at it is either get the PCB or just deal with what you got and enjoy it.

Let's look at cave ports just 'cause maybe people are expecting too much out of certain things. Let's keep in mind that CRTs are a thing of the past. 4:3 is a thing of the past, we need to get this in our heads and accept what's coming so we can adapt and make the most out of our games. Of course I love CRTs, of course I want a hugue 4:3 LCD with RGB, VGA, DVi, HDMI, Component and an S-Video upscanner built in, I'd fucking replace all my cabs with these if it's up to me, I know my back would love the change, but it is what it is folks.

OK here we go, discuss away, let's see different viewpoints and see what really draws you or alienate you from the ports. A simple fact is that some people complaint about the slowdown, I don't really care for that 'cause although I want to be competitive and proficient in my own way, I'm not worried about small details as it is I don't think I'll be running into an Arcade with the PCBs waiting for me and I already know the game in and out so I can show it off. Also, I play more with instinct than memorization, I use memorization for score gain, although some ports have different parts where slowdown takes place, it's actually fun to find new "milking" ways on your won.

Donpachi (Saturn/PSX) I was happy with the port, I know the explosions look akward but what can you expect when the native rez of the game is different from the consoles.

DoDonpachi (Saturn/PSX) Same story as above but it seems like the PSX is a notch nicer and has an arrange mode. (God Mode)

ESP Galuda (PS2) Filtered but again the native rez of the PS2 is just so different from these games that no port in it can be done pixel per pixel. I however felt that the port is incredible regardless the filter.

Ibara (PS2) Oh Oh, different speed, Oh noes! No big deal, I still love this port, I feel is a great training wheels for the PCB and given the arranged mode being very similar to Kuro I think this port is excellent and the AST is sick!

Mushihimesama (PS2) Fantastic port aside from filter issues which all PS2 ports are infected with. Arranged mode is pretty fun too.

DOJ (PS2) Great port, same issues as all other PS2 ports but the benefits of a stereo OST make up for it in spades. Love this port, love this game!! My fav Pachi for sure!

DOJBLEX (360) In par with the PS2 port of DOJ as far as "ingame" goes, the main menus are horrible and so is the loading but it's a small price to pay with the inclusion of BL and X mode. I know 5BP pretty much just copied and pasted the PS2 port and added to it, once you get through setting everytthing the way you want the game plays great 'cause you only have 1 loading screen to get through to play the game.

Deathsmiles (360) Excellent port in everyway, I know the US port has different slowdown parts but god damn the port it still fantastic, people just bash on for the silliest things.

Mushi Futari 1.5 (360) Just when I though a port couldnt get any better cave comes out with this. One of my fav Cave games for sure and this port excells in more ways than one. You really don't need a PCB once you get a hold of this.

ESP Galuda II (360) Just as great as the Futari port, excellent!

Guwange (XBL 360) Well I for one enjoy it big time. I have no complaints 'cause I don't use my 360 on CRT nor 4:3 ratio screen, however I have and I'm lucky that my Wega has a Zoom in feature that works perfect for this, however playing 360 on a CRT specially a 4:3 CRT is just a pain in the ass when you know there are far better ways to use the console. I guess some folks can't fathom to play with clean pixels, but for me that's how this game and all others were designed.

On a side note, I think I might be the only Mame whore playing with no effects, just clean pixel per pixel count, that's my shit right there!

Ketsui (360) 5BP finally got it right, I was very impressed with how this port was treated. It's basically bare bones ala Guwange and that's all you really need. The X mode is a welcome addition.

DDPDFK (360) Excellent port, my favorite port so far but that's 'cause DFK is perfect already! Hard to fuck it up. Even the iphone port is a must.

I too get worried if companies like cave stop producing ports like these 'cause of mouthy fanboys. I'm not arguing the fact that having a 4:3 mode would be cool or that patching DOJBLEX would be ace, but these are not things that I worry about. I'm more concerned about future releases above all else 'cause for some this is the only medium to play the games.

As always I get carried away, but I'm not trying to argue here, is just that I see so much negativity. There's gotta be a good reason why Guwange didn't have this feature available from the get go. This people do this for a living, what makes you think that any of you know what's doable and what isn't? I mean if you do then go get a job with them and get it done!

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
SNKP and Cave are poor, that's why we don't always get the features we want in their home ports.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
SNKP and Cave are poor, that's why we don't always get the features we want in their home ports.

There should just be consistency though. Most Cave ports have extremely thorough options when it comes to tweaking the screen as they obviously realize that their fans are playing these ports on a variety of different devices from televisions to PC monitors to arcade monitors and even through scalers like XRGB units. It should just be a standard by now to include it in all ports of their 240p games.

We can all just agree to disagree. One camp sees the whole thing as bitching and whining because it's only $10 and they should be happy with what they get. The other camp can't understand why such a simple thing has been excluded when it's obvious from previous ports that it can be implemented, and probably quite easily at that.

My one hope was that Cave would take notice from all this and in turn, improve they're future ports that are getting an online release. Sounds like that's the case as they seem to feel it's worth addressing.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Consistency is for the rich. When you're poor, details fall through the cracks. Cave's games were ported by various teams. They use what resources are at their disposal, and unfortunately their budgets and staff were probably not consistent.

I guess you can put me in the first camp, because most times I just feel damn lucky that Cave and SNKP are still around.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I think the people that asked for 4:3 should send thank you letters to Cave.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I think the people that asked for 4:3 should send thank you letters to Cave.

Their sense of entitlement will get in the way of that. You didn't know? Cave might as well have shipped dog shit right to their door since it didn't have 4:3. Considering how much of a fortune everyone had to shell out to play this, I'm amazed that they still aren't burning torches wanting their money back since Cave didn't send a rep out to blow them when they got their 100% achievs.

Princess-Isabel

Geese's Thug
Any shooter fan should buy it.
Love how Cave sticks with releasing stuff on XBLA, it would be nice having these games on discs but ultimately the way these games are distributed is very convenient.