New Cave Shooter - Akai Katana

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
Here's that video footage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Y2dbEydD0

Seriously, you turn into a ninja! I thought the flier was just talking about ninjas in another regard...

Anyway, it definitely looks like a Progear game, down to the bullet shape. I like how the option picks up items and you can fling it around. Looks complicated, but I'm sure the info will pour out soon on what everything means.

Rancor

Rocnar,
Ok - I just returned. My video is below. Looks like I opted for an alternate place. Inside the arcade was TOO CROWDED. I went outside and set my camera up to film the monitors on the outside of the building. I was a bit far away, and my camera doesnt have a zoom, so i just cropped everything out except the TV. Again, sorry for the poor quality but I think you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-LeY_0zGrY

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Here's that video footage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Y2dbEydD0

Seriously, you turn into a ninja! I thought the flier was just talking about ninjas in another regard...

Anyway, it definitely looks like a Progear game, down to the bullet shape. I like how the option picks up items and you can fling it around. Looks complicated, but I'm sure the info will pour out soon on what everything means.

It might be just the camera, but I have some difficulty to see the contrast between white bullets and the white circle around the character. It seems that the guy got nailed twice by those white bullets at the end of the video so it's probably not just me.

Last edited:

ikariwarriorf22

New Challenger
Akai Kantana looks...Awe-Inspiringly, similar to Capcom's 194X series, but with an option to be a flying ninja outside your plane. It is just too cool, to see a game like this still be made today.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Video looks good. Can see they took some ideas from Daifukkatsu. I thought I was done buying these PCBs but I may not be able to stop myself for this one :P

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
If only this didnt go for 2k+ , does look awesome though.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I'm not buying it on release, but this will make it into one of my cabs by Christmas.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Looks alright, for a hori, turning into a ninja is dumb though and I'd prefer non human bosses.

Rancor

Rocnar,
I don't see where everyone is getting the progear vibe from this game...aside from it being a hori. I don't see anything at all in common with progear aside from that.

Seriously? :spock:

Have you ever PLAYED progear?

Go back and play it again. Notice the art style? Notice the way that tanks and rail-guns scroll to-and-fro in an pseudo isometric angle? Notice the overabundance of gun towers? and thats not all, theres more.

Whoever said this game is progear2 had it right.

I saw this game up close and in person today - and while it is beautiful and amazing, it doesn't look like anything that couldn't have been done back in 2001 on CPS2 hardware.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Looks awesome. Really does look like a quasi-sequel to Progear with some new features and whatnot.

I wonder how long it'll take the price to drop down under $1k for a loose board.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Looks awesome. Really does look like a quasi-sequel to Progear with some new features and whatnot.

I wonder how long it'll take the price to drop down under $1k for a loose board.

What are your Galuda scores looking like?

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
about 8.9 million is my best so far. Still only making it to the 4th stage.... Was getting better, but hit a wall for the time being. Going to play some ESP.Ra.De and Dragon Blaze again, and come back to it I think.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Seriously? :spock:

Have you ever PLAYED progear?

Go back and play it again. Notice the art style? Notice the way that tanks and rail-guns scroll to-and-fro in an pseudo isometric angle? Notice the overabundance of gun towers? and thats not all, theres more.

Whoever said this game is progear2 had it right.

I saw this game up close and in person today - and while it is beautiful and amazing, it doesn't look like anything that couldn't have been done back in 2001 on CPS2 hardware.

I've owned progear for years and play it regularly. It's one of my favorite cave shooters. So yes, I'm very familiar with it.

Of course it took some things from progear as you mentioned, but it took just as much from other recent cave shooters.

It doesn't really matter to me either way. This game looks awesome regardless of what people think it is a spiritual successor to.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I've owned progear for years and play it regularly. It's one of my favorite cave shooters. So yes, I'm very familiar with it.

Of course it took some things from progear as you mentioned, but it took just as much from other recent cave shooters.

It doesn't really matter to me either way. This game looks awesome regardless of what people think it is a spiritual successor to.

Yeah, I haven't played a shitload of Progear, but I have to agree that it doesn't look that much like a Progear sequel. It doesn't have the same steampunk appearance. I don't like the transforming into a ninja deal or that the plane is flying perpendicular to the ground...

Last edited:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
It looks just like progear.

With the Ketsui Canal Fleet tossed in.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Every time I see that wonderful looking ketsui 3rd level I'm usually like FUUUUUFFCCCKK and just trying to stay alive

can't get the extra life either, usually shit myself and just bomb in the end. :envy:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Every time I see that wonderful looking ketsui 3rd level I'm usually like FUUUUUFFCCCKK and just trying to stay alive

can't get the extra life either, usually shit myself and just bomb in the end. :envy:

I've NEVER got the extra ship.

I made it through several times, not many, and never got the fucking life.

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
The bullet canceling morphing thing in this game looks totally nuts.

My guess is this is going to be released on "SH4" platform. Since SH2 was based on the PGM standalone hardware, it would make sense for them to do a similar thing with the newest PGM2 stuff. Especially since they just re-released DDPDOJ on PGM2, maybe as a hardware test? All speculation on my part...

I thought they made the move to PC hardware for easier porting but so far they don't seem to have a problem porting SH3 stuff to the 360. Just really happy to see all this hand drawn goodness :tickled:

TonK

Least Valuable Player

My guess is this is going to be released on "SH4" platform. Since SH2 was based on the PGM standalone hardware, it would make sense for them to do a similar thing with the newest PGM2 stuff. Especially since they just re-released DDPDOJ on PGM2, maybe as a hardware test? All speculation on my part...

I thought they made the move to PC hardware for easier porting but so far they don't seem to have a problem porting SH3 stuff to the 360. Just really happy to see all this hand drawn goodness :tickled:

Wasnt the Dreamcast based on SH-4 hardware?

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member

eh? PGM was 68000 based not SH2.

DC was SH4 based, SH = Super Hitachi, a CPU, i.e PGM isn't SH2 based. Some people refer to the pre SH3 CV1000 stuff as 'SH1' 'SH2' and I have no fucking idea why.