New Cave Shooter - Akai Katana

iluvmonsterz

Edo Express Delivery Guy
not if they are telekinetic or psychis...lol. and we were talking about the merits of the specific character designs on that particular quote. read the above posts to see why i have a boner for character shmups..i know not everyone likes controlling little people. wouldnt go so far as to call it "lame"..but i m not into that kinda thing.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Its Progear 2.

Except the enemy bullets go straight or follow a motion pattern.

I love Progear, but if I had to throw out a complaint it would be what I call the pseudo-gravity or knuckleball bullets.

Basically, when bullets are throw up, then come down in an erratic fluttering (like a knuckleball) motion.

I see their point, requiring you to have lighting precise reflexes where memorization doesn't help, but at points they've really pissed me off.

All of Yagawa's games under Cave bombed. Cave won't let him do any more. They still keep him around to do arrange modes for the ports, so at least he still has a job.

Sorry, necro bump.

Google accidentally dug this thread up for me when I was doing a search.

I'm sure many people know, but Yagawa did both DFK Black Label and most of the programing for Akai Katana as well. So he's actually done their last 2 arcade releases.

So yes, he does still have a job and no it's not been just to do arrange modes for ports.

Josh

Banned
Update:

The official name of Cave's new STG is Akai Katana.

According to Cave's website, there will be a location test at HEY Arcade in Akihabara July 23-26. The release will be sometime in August.

I definitely want to preorder this game, Im confused to why progear wasnt ported..

If I remember, I'll check the HEY arcade out and take some pictures or video when the location test is there. Unfortunately I only have iphone 3gs camera. when I first arrived last year, times were tough and I had to sell my cannon7d :emb:

Rancor

Rocnar,
If I remember, I'll check the HEY arcade out and take some pictures or video when the location test is there. Unfortunately I only have iphone 3gs camera. when I first arrived last year, times were tough and I had to sell my cannon7d :emb:

loc test was last year. The game is in almost every arcade here in Tokyo, and multiple youtube videos exist. HEY currently has 3 cabs with it running, and interest appears to be waning. I was at HEY yesterday and no one played it the whole time I was there.

Josh

Banned
loc test was last year. The game is in almost every arcade here in Tokyo, and multiple youtube videos exist. HEY currently has 3 cabs with it running, and interest appears to be waning. I was at HEY yesterday and no one played it the whole time I was there.

Oh wow, work has definitely kept me out of the loop. Well I wasn't really in the loop so much before to begin with but tried to follow the buzz. I am totally loving progear on PSP and XBoX emu. I need to make it over to HEY. I want to check this game out!

Do you know if preorders have opened for a 360 release? if it's anything like progeAr, I want the LE version for sure.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Oh wow, work has definitely kept me out of the loop. Well I wasn't really in the loop so much before to begin with but tried to follow the buzz. I am totally loving progear on PSP and XBoX emu. I need to make it over to HEY. I want to check this game out!

Do you know if preorders have opened for a 360 release? if it's anything like progeAr, I want the LE version for sure.

Pre-orders should def. be up on play-asia and yesasia, unless you meant real world stores. People are saying this is Progear 2. I say no fucking way.

Josh

Banned
Pre-orders should def. be up on play-asia and yesasia, unless you meant real world stores. People are saying this is Progear 2. I say no fucking way.

I just checked out the video, it looks insane compared to progear. Looks fun! Yeah, I don't know many stores outside of the shops of Akihabara. If there is a known store for reliable preordering in Tokyo, Id really like to know where!

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
I just checked out the video, it looks insane compared to progear. Looks fun! Yeah, I don't know many stores outside of the shops of Akihabara. If there is a known store for reliable preordering in Tokyo, Id really like to know where!

I often used to preorder games, including Neo-Geo homecarts, at Yodobashi Camera. If there's a Yodobashi in Yokohama you might want to try there.

Josh

Banned
I often used to preorder games, including Neo-Geo homecarts, at Yodobashi Camera. If there's a Yodobashi in Yokohama you might want to try there.

Ok cool. The closest store from my place is in Shinjuku. Hahaha, I just looked at my receipt and I actually just bought Ketsui there last week. I know exactly where that place is. Thanks for the heads up!