The Walking Dead TV series courtesy of AMC.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
ONE THREAD PER TOPIC. SERIOUS

NO FOOLIN HERE.

INTERNET MEANS BUSINESS

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
You guys are are retarded babies.

I just figured we could use a new thread once the series finally aired.

CrusadeKnight.jpg

YOU HAVE CHOSEN [HIGHLIGHT]POORLY.[/HIGHLIGHT]​

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
The Prison and Governor Arcs alone are worth the read.

Spoiler:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: they stayed in that fucking prison way too goddamned long. They were there for like 20 or 30 issues! The overall story was solid, but it took too long for anything to happen. Hopefully they'll tighten that part up a bit in the show (and avoid stupid shit like issue-long flashbacks that reveal nothing).

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
Honestly, it looks a bit cheaper than I imagined.

The trailer was shit compared to how the first episode turned out. It's like they hadn't finished the special effects for the trailer in time and had to put in placeholders.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
The trailer was shit compared to how the first episode turned out. It's like they hadn't finished the special effects for the trailer in time and had to put in placeholders.

True that...thank goodness.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Im on issue 5 right now. Reading them via droidx comic reader. Im really surprised how well the story is written. Thanks for the spoiler tag, ninny. Im enjoying not knowing what's going to happen next. Are these released in graphic novel form?

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Im on issue 5 right now. Reading them via droidx comic reader. Im really surprised how well the story is written. Thanks for the spoiler tag, ninny. Im enjoying not knowing what's going to happen next. Are these released in graphic novel form?

They were released in every form you could ever want. There's the standard softcover 6 issue collections, hardcovers with more, a big omnibus thing, and some other hardcovers with other issue counts and stuff like that. I can't remember all of them, to be honest. I'd probably stick to the standard trades, myself — those are the best deal.

azda

n00b
Friggin awesome show watched the pre air last week and cant wait for the 2nd episode.The bloke plays the lead role really good being as he is English playing an American.Seems a lot of English actors on us tv lately with the guy in Sons of Anarchy being great also.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
They were released in every form you could ever want. There's the standard softcover 6 issue collections, hardcovers with more, a big omnibus thing, and some other hardcovers with other issue counts and stuff like that. I can't remember all of them, to be honest. I'd probably stick to the standard trades, myself — those are the best deal.

Robert Kirkman must be feeling like the goddamn king of the world these days.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I knew reading the comics would make me like the tv series a little bit less. This pacing is god-awful.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I'm enjoying it, but we'll see if it can hold my attention. Part of my personality just means that for something I have to wait a week for to get some minor plot advancement, I just don't care enough to bother so after 5 or 6 weeks my interest might Nesagwa.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I knew reading the comics would make me like the tv series a little bit less. This pacing is god-awful.

It is very heavy on decompression. Every person I turn on to the comic, I warn them that there is a lot of talking and a lot of character exposition. I love decompression as long as I enjoy the characters, so every issue has been a worthy read for me.

The series' popularity tells me that most people don't seem to mind that much:)

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
It is very heavy on decompression. Every person I turn on to the comic, I warn them that there is a lot of talking and a lot of character exposition. I love decompression as long as I enjoy the characters, so every issue has been a worthy read for me.

The series' popularity tells me that most people don't seem to mind that much:)

I'm talking about the pacing relative to the comic. I love the comic. I mean we're 2 and a half hours into the show and they haven't even hit camp, yet.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Oh! Apologies for misinterpreting your comments. I thought...well, you know what I thought.

Well, I'm glad you're loving the comic, man!

One thing I will recant, however, is my insistence that people who like the show should read the comic.

If you like the show, DON'T read the comic.

Reason?

Well, in watching the second episode last night, which I really liked, I find my enthusiasm for the TV show's events to be less than what I'd like. They added in some extra stuff and they found a way to make the zombie escape scenes really intense. Hat's off to the tv show crew for making it really compelling.

But knowing what's going to happen next, for the most part, makes me anticipate the next episode less. Compare that with Sons Of Anarchy or Spartacus: Blood And Sand, where those shows reach a fever pitch because I don't know what's coming next (and are shows I both really, really enjoy,) and it makes me wish I could unabashedly love the tv show more.

I'll keep watching, of course. It's still a great show. But I don't have a burning drive to see the next episode. I'm eminently patient about it. Compared with other shows I've really loved in my day and I just wish I didn't know what happens next.

aria

Former Moderator
Well, Wes has made me happy I've skipped on the series. I'll look again once season 1 is done and rentable.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member

It goes with the medium.*

Watch the "comic book animatic" of the first episode and all of a sudden you appreciate how the comic's pace was translated for television.

Creating a set for a show requires more logistical and monetary costs that translate differently than the stroke of a pencil. I imagine each new setting / event is going to be an episode to make it worth their time to create.

*. . . but I agree the ending of episode 2 would have worked better if they reached camp.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
It goes with the medium.*

Watch the "comic book animatic" of the first episode and all of a sudden you appreciate how the comic's pace was translated for television.

Creating a set for a show requires more logistical and monetary costs that translate differently than the stroke of a pencil. I imagine each new setting / event is going to be an episode to make it worth their time to create.

*. . . but I agree the ending of episode 2 would have worked better if they reached camp.

I understand how it works. I just don't really care for it. It's not like I dislike the tv series; I think it's awesome. I would just prefer it if they accomplished more story during an episode. That's something they'll have to feel out with time, and, with feedback from fans/critics, I'm sure they'll pace it a bit faster.

Bobak has the right idea. This is something I would like to watch all at once. Waiting a week between each episode and the story moving as slow as it is, it's a bit irritating to keep up with. If they stick close to the comics even a little bit, at this rate, it would probably take like 20 seasons to finish.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Dude, I know you watched DBZ back in the day. How did you bear THAT show's pacing? I found it to be brutal at times.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Dude, I know you watched DBZ back in the day. How did you bear THAT show's pacing? I found it to be brutal at times.

Well there was a huge difference back then: I started watching it in '89 when it aired on Japanese television. I wasn't aware of the jump comics until around '91, but it didn't matter because I couldn't read any Japanese. Before the jump comics were translated in America, they slowly started releasing dvds with THREE FUCKING EPISODES on each one. At one point I had 2 racks on my shelf just full of them. When the graphic novels were translated, I pretty much gave up on the actual anime. It's okay to watch a couple episodes maybe once or twice a year for nostalgic reasons (that, and the fight between Goku and Vegeta is still awesome to see animated), but I slowly grew to despise the anime and all the filler that came with it.

Brutal is the perfect word.