The Walking Dead TV series courtesy of AMC.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
So I'm the only one who thought it was dumb that Darryl was shrugging off horrific injuries, then?

When he pulled the arrow out of his own goddamned side and shot a zombie with it, I was like, "Come the fuck on." Then he gets shot in the head. But he's totally fine. Okay....

Sorry fellas. This show is on a one way trip to stupid town as far as I can tell. I swear it gets worse with every episode, and worst of all, it still feels bloated and padded. There's no urgency, no excitement, no drama, and not much entertainment to be had. I'm watching it basically out of habit now.

hexcrass

n00b
Haven't read the comic but was wondering, what's the deal with the ears?
That's a homage to Universal Soldier I think.
I think the reason that this show is getting very boring for most people, it's because it's no longer a travel story. They haven't left that damn farm this entire season and it doesn't look like they are going to any time soon.
As far as Daryl surviving the headshot, it's not like he got shot with an ak-47, at that range someone (like Daryl) could survive possibly.

Last edited:

HeartlessNinny

I agree that it's plausible he could have survived, but it's just a stupid thematic move. The character was put in huge amounts of danger with no consequence, which makes the show boring.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Where are they at now? the 11th Episode?

That is about the point where The Prisoner went from awesome to awful.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
So, I just got caught up on this episode. I thought it was good as far as moving along the upcoming (I assume) conflict between Herschel and the main group. Unfortunately, I feel like it mostly could have been handled last week. I agree with the sentiment that the search for the girl (can't even remember her name now) is getting tiresome. Not necessarily tedious, because the elements like Rick and Shane's conversation are still good, but I just want it to get resolved.

As for Darryl, everyone realizes that he didn't get shot in the head right. Just grazed? As for the bolt in his side, I think him and his brother have shown before that they are tough enough guys to actually pull it through their gut and keep going.

I didn't quite catch the details, but was the walker at his feet just munching on his shoe or something? I feel like we never quite got the bite inspection I would have liked there.

My biggest criticism for this episode though which I otherwise thought was good, is that I think the scene with Andrea shooting Darryl would have been a lot better if the entire group hadn't been out there. It felt too forced for her to take a shot while there were about five people standing out there between her and her target.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
The last two episodes were boring too much drama, not enough ZOMBIE KILLING!

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave
I didn't quite catch the details, but was the walker at his feet just munching on his shoe or something? I feel like we never quite got the bite inspection I would have liked there.
My biggest criticism for this episode though which I otherwise thought was good, is that I think the scene with Andrea shooting Darryl would have been a lot better if the entire group hadn't been out there. It felt too forced for her to take a shot while there were about five people standing out there between her and her target.

+1

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
you'd think a show being about 'zombies' would have a lot more zombie action and a lot less b.s. drama

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
you'd think a show being about 'zombies' would have a lot more zombie action and a lot less b.s. drama

Zombie movies, TV shows, comics, etc. are usually more about the humans facing the zombie invasion than the zombies themselves.

That said, I will agree that the pacing of this season could use a jump-start. The reveal at the end of the newest episode was pretty badass, though. Shit's about to go down on the farm.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
It seems like only Taiso and I understand why a show nominally about zombies doesn't have to be a non-stop onslaught of zombies, zombie killing, and gore.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Zombie movies, TV shows, comics, etc. are usually more about the humans facing the zombie invasion than the zombies themselves.

That said, I will agree that the pacing of this season could use a jump-start. The reveal at the end of the newest episode was pretty badass, though. Shit's about to go down on the farm.

it got me wonderin' if the kid was gonna get tossed into the zombie barn

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
It seems like only Taiso and I understand why a show nominally about zombies doesn't have to be a non-stop onslaught of zombies, zombie killing, and gore.

zombie sexytime then?

that being said, they need to make a Borat w/ zombies

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member

The Walking Dead comic would have fucking sucked and not lasted if it was about people fighting zombies.

If it were about zombie killing action, it's be fucking Left 4 Dead. A fun game but fucking pointless as a story.

All of the dystopian elements of human civilization gone awry that Matheson, and Romero after him, have espoused in their work is what makes it compelling.

At all.

If you want zombie killing, put Dead Alive in your BD player and enjoy.

That is not The Walking Dead. Nor should it be. Ever.

Zombies are not dangerous and evoke no sense of fear if all they are there to do is eat lead and explode. There are a million exploitative action flicks that can deliver the same types of cheesy thrills. Even in the zombie genre. I do NOT want to see TWD devolve into that.

ALL OF THAT SAID:

I think the show has the right idea (less is more) but isn't exactly executing that sentiment as well as they could be.

My .02.

Metalslug

Cham Cham's Banana,
20 Year Member
Decent episode. Hope it gets better. Daryl is a great character next to glen. i am expecting the character's to be likable like LOST but most of them are not.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member

How do you come to that conclusion?

HeartlessNinny

I don't disagree with the sentiment here, but this show has virtually no zombie killing. They're basically a non-factor, except for when the plot calls for it. It's so lazy and hackneyed I can't even believe it. If they need a zombie, one magically appears. Otherwise, they're nowhere to be found -- ever.

There's a difference between using zombies sparingly (which would be fine) and hardly even using them at all (which is dumb).

Let me raise a question: What is this show about? I mean that on a thematic level.

Presumably, it's about survival. But the group is in no danger at all right now -- none! The only threat they face whatsoever is the notion that they're wearing out their welcome with Herschel. But even that isn't really a big deal, since they haven't had to really deal with any kind of threat since the herd in the premiere, and even that seemed like a cursory threat at best.

I don't think this show is about anything. It's just wasting my time. There has been so little story this season I can hardly believe it -- hell, you can sum up the plot in about two sentences.

I think this show is sub par at best, and I don't think it's going to improve any time soon. I hope I'm wrong, though.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
If they want to make this show work, they should change it be about Shane walking topless.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
If they want to make this show work, they should change it be about Shane walking topless.

what about if they brought back the show "Cheers", but this time with zombies. of course, everyone in the bar is 'normal'... (a side from the zombie in Sam's office).. and they'd drink & chat about the zombies outside and tell jokes about them, etc..

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave
what about if they brought back the show "Cheers", but this time with zombies. of course, everyone in the bar is 'normal'... (a side from the zombie in Sam's office).. and they'd drink & chat about the zombies outside and tell jokes about them, etc..

I smell an oscar...

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I don't disagree with the sentiment here, but this show has virtually no zombie killing. They're basically a non-factor, except for when the plot calls for it. It's so lazy and hackneyed I can't even believe it. If they need a zombie, one magically appears. Otherwise, they're nowhere to be found -- ever.

I think this is actually a good indictment of the more shaky parts. In these cases, the zombies feel more like a plot contrivance in these last few episodes rather than an inescapable threat that the characters have to deal with (the zombie herd from S02 opening) or even something they've brought upon themselves (the zombies in the barn or going to the high school to get needed medical supplies.)

Daryl just fell down a cliff and impaled himself on a crossbow bolt? Perfect time for zombies to show up. It's like they set a trap with Sophia's doll.

The well zombie was another contrivance, and a stupid one at that. Probably the single dumbest thing I've seen in this show.

There's a difference between using zombies sparingly (which would be fine) and hardly even using them at all (which is dumb).

Let me raise a question: What is this show about? I mean that on a thematic level.

Presumably, it's about survival. But the group is in no danger at all right now -- none! The only threat they face whatsoever is the notion that they're wearing out their welcome with Herschel. But even that isn't really a big deal, since they haven't had to really deal with any kind of threat since the herd in the premiere, and even that seemed like a cursory threat at best.

Another great point.

Ostensibly, the story is about the human dynamic in a changed world where social graces have been altered and the strongest elements of humanity, good and bad, are exposed at their most raw.

But I think this is a pretty hard sell to general audiences. There is a reason why this genre has always been niche, and I think that's the reason why the show is turning out the way it is.

I don't think this is a show for genre fans, or even people seeking progressive TV.

They market the show based on the ever present threat of zombies. But then you tune in and it's Glenn trying to forge a relationship with Maggie and Shane pining for Lori and Andrea being a whiny bitch because she gother gun taken away.

And all of this is happening in a world where you can't drive to the mall to shop for clothes or fill up at the local gas station. The world around the characters should be adding a sense of immediacy to these things. When they first arrived at the farm, I was cool with them finally resting and not asking too many questions. And maybe only a little time has passed for the group, but it's been a month and a half for the rest of us.

I don't think this show is about anything. It's just wasting my time. There has been so little story this season I can hardly believe it -- hell, you can sum up the plot in about two sentences.

I think this show is sub par at best, and I don't think it's going to improve any time soon. I hope I'm wrong, though.

A few pages back, I said I liked this season more than the first. Since then, I've sort of expanded my view to where I can see what people are saying and I no longer consider their views invalid (thanks for challenging me on the show, those of you who disagreed with me. I always appreciate when people force me to 'check myself' a bit.)

I think, seeing how it's played out so far, I still want to reserve judgement until I'm able to watch it with someone in a block of episodes and see if it views better that way.

I think it's okay to say 'the show plays better in blocks.' People should be allowed to enjoy it however they want. But I also think its fair and accurate to point out that the show is still weekly TV and isn't exactly delivering on that promise.

HeartlessNinny

I think this is actually a good indictment of the more shaky parts. In these cases, the zombies feel more like a plot contrivance in these last few episodes rather than an inescapable threat that the characters have to deal with (the zombie herd from S02 opening) or even something they've brought upon themselves (the zombies in the barn or going to the high school to get needed medical supplies.)

Daryl just fell down a cliff and impaled himself on a crossbow bolt? Perfect time for zombies to show up. It's like they set a trap with Sophia's doll.

The well zombie was another contrivance, and a stupid one at that. Probably the single dumbest thing I've seen in this show.

Another great point.

Ostensibly, the story is about the human dynamic in a changed world where social graces have been altered and the strongest elements of humanity, good and bad, are exposed at their most raw.

But I think this is a pretty hard sell to general audiences. There is a reason why this genre has always been niche, and I think that's the reason why the show is turning out the way it is.

I don't think this is a show for genre fans, or even people seeking progressive TV.

They market the show based on the ever present threat of zombies. But then you tune in and it's Glenn trying to forge a relationship with Maggie and Shane pining for Lori and Andrea being a whiny bitch because she gother gun taken away.

And all of this is happening in a world where you can't drive to the mall to shop for clothes or fill up at the local gas station. The world around the characters should be adding a sense of immediacy to these things. When they first arrived at the farm, I was cool with them finally resting and not asking too many questions. And maybe only a little time has passed for the group, but it's been a month and a half for the rest of us.

A few pages back, I said I liked this season more than the first. Since then, I've sort of expanded my view to where I can see what people are saying and I no longer consider their views invalid (thanks for challenging me on the show, those of you who disagreed with me. I always appreciate when people force me to 'check myself' a bit.)

I think, seeing how it's played out so far, I still want to reserve judgement until I'm able to watch it with someone in a block of episodes and see if it views better that way.

I think it's okay to say 'the show plays better in blocks.' People should be allowed to enjoy it however they want. But I also think its fair and accurate to point out that the show is still weekly TV and isn't exactly delivering on that promise.

Since we're all being so reasonable, I'll add that I wonder if I'm being a bit overly hard on the show. Sometimes I can be a bit mean to things I like (or want to like) because I expect more from 'em. And if nothing else, I do still watch it, which I typically won't do with something I don't consider to be worth my time in one way or another.

I will disagree with one thing you said, though: I don't think this show would work better in blocks, at least not for me personally. I think I'd be too bored to watch more than one or two episodes at once. I just don't think enough happens, and what little character development there is doesn't make up for it. So far I'm content enough to watch it on Sunday, make this face: >_> and then wait for next week's show.

Unless they stretch the goddamn search out past next week. 'Cause then I'll just throw my hands up in disgust and give up on the idea that it could possibly be any good.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Since we're all being so reasonable, I'll add that I wonder if I'm being a bit overly hard on the show. Sometimes I can be a bit mean to things I like (or want to like) because I expect more from 'em. And if nothing else, I do still watch it, which I typically won't do with something I don't consider to be worth my time in one way or another.

I will disagree with one thing you said, though: I don't think this show would work better in blocks, at least not for me personally. I think I'd be too bored to watch more than one or two episodes at once. I just don't think enough happens, and what little character development there is doesn't make up for it. So far I'm content enough to watch it on Sunday, make this face: >_> and then wait for next week's show.

Unless they stretch the goddamn search out past next week. 'Cause then I'll just throw my hands up in disgust and give up on the idea that it could possibly be any good.

that search thing seriously has been going on too long. it's almost like the writers got stumped & were all "uuhhh... let's just extend out the search.. yeah!"

HeartlessNinny

Yeah. The writing is clearly the biggest problem with the show. Getting rid of Darabont may have condemned this show in the long run -- AMC still has a lot to learn about being a network with quality shows on it if you ask me.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I think it was easy to be hard on the show because it came on the heels of Breaking Bad. And the preview for Spartacus Vengeance looks so sick that I'm often thinking that TWD is underachieving. But it's still entertaining enough.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Good points. I do wish Darabont was still connected with the show. He's a movie guy, whereas the writers currently working on the show are TV guys - they deliver less week to week.

Since you brought up other AMC shows, I will say that I'm intrigued by Hell of Wheels. I love the Outlaw Josey Wales-esque storyline and the lead actor, Anson Mount, is great. They're only two episodes in, but I can't wait to see where they're going with the series. Of course, I'm a sucker for Westerns.