Touhou games?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Are garbage, Right? The games look awful, the fanbase seems creepy and clueless.

Has anybody played these? Any redeeming qualities?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Shit's homocrack.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
The Touhou games are impressive considering one guy does everything (programming, gameplay, story, artwork, and music), except for a couple of the games. His music is alright, but his artwork isn't very good. As for being a game designer, he's got his ups and downs.

I dislike Embodiment of Scarlet Devil.

Perfect Cherry Blossom is ok.

Imperishable Night is good.

Phantasmagoria of Flower View is a decent Twinkle Star Sprites clone.

Shoot The Bullet is pretty good.

Immaterial and Missing Power is more of a projectile-heavy versus fighter, but it's alright for what it is. Unlike the other Touhou games, this one was developed by a group of people rather than one person. This one is lot easier on the eyes since the sprites and character art were done by people that can actually draw.

I couldn't really get into the older games, and haven't played any of the others.

PinkSweets

King's Dry Cleaner
I agree with Hentai Sama that it is impressive that one man does everything, but other than that, I'm not a huge fan of the shooters in the series. They're alright, but nothing special in my opinion. They're fun for a little bit, but I'd rather spend my time with other shooting games.

I'm a huge fan of the characters and music though. I always love seeing new fan art.

Other than that, I must say that I do enjoy the fighting games. I've played Immaterial and Missing Power and Scarlet Weather Rhapsody and think they're both great.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Shoot the bullet is my favorite and it's addictive as hell.

In a brazilian shmup forum we are trying to make a little tournament in "Mountain of Faith" but not have a great participation of the members. Some replays has a slowdown in 50%.

Reality Check

World Hero
I'm currently playing the latest game Undefine Fantastic Object and I find it to be very enjoyable. Game is hard as hell. I've yet to complete the first stage.

I wonder who plays these for the story as the writting is very weak

thund3rs

Rugal's Thug
The Touhou games are impressive considering one guy does everything (programming, gameplay, story, artwork, and music), except for a couple of the games. His music is alright, but his artwork isn't very good. As for being a game designer, he's got his ups and downs.

I dislike Embodiment of Scarlet Devil.

Perfect Cherry Blossom is ok.

Imperishable Night is good.

Phantasmagoria of Flower View is a decent Twinkle Star Sprites clone.

Shoot The Bullet is pretty good.

Immaterial and Missing Power is more of a projectile-heavy versus fighter, but it's alright for what it is. Unlike the other Touhou games, this one was developed by a group of people rather than one person. This one is lot easier on the eyes since the sprites and character art were done by people that can actually draw.

I couldn't really get into the older games, and haven't played any of the others.

What gets me is, 1. The fans are insane, if anyone ever goes to /jp/ you'll never find your way out of the ravid fan art and pointless discussion threads about armpits. 2. ZUN's artwork is pretty bad, and i have no idea how his characters have become so popular, i mean even the Fan artwork (and there was even an anime) has become more popular than the creator's original art!

The games are pretty cool though.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
ZUN's artwork is pretty bad, and i have no idea how his characters have become so popular, i mean even the Fan artwork (and there was even an anime) has become more popular than the creator's original art!

To be blunt, the artwork of said child characters serves as masturbatory fodder for seriously disturbed or dysfunctional males with strong pedophile tendencies.

Gradius II

n00b
I give credit to the creator Zun, who does all the work you have to give him credit for bringing out a game once or twice a year to keep up with such a huge demand.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I have never played any Touhou game, ever. Watched parts of some replays though and have gotta say some of the danmakus looks very creative.

black_7

Fio's Quartermaster
Me neither. Never heard of these things up until now.

What, is there like a huge following of fans for these things that hang out in some forum somewhere? What do they do that's so creepy?

Rancor

Rocnar,
What, is there like a huge following of fans for these things that hang out in some forum somewhere? What do they do that's so creepy?

If you're ever in Japan, be sure to check out some of the doujin shops. Weird, creepy artwork, comics and games involving the (very young) girls from the Touhou series. The series is massive here - The characters are plush toys, adorn soft drink cans, star in videos, and even have their own brand of rice. It's bizarre really.

I would say Touhou is vastly overrated. Like others have said, it's great that one man has managed to do so much, but when the fans treat it as the only good SHMUP there is it really bothers me. It seems like whenever I mention Raiden, Sonic Wings, or anything with planes instead of little girls they're all over me, ready to tear me apart for my 'lack of taste'. Finally played the damn things a couple years ago and they didn't keep my interest at all. The fans act like they're amazing because they can weave through the bullets but it's not that difficult at most points compared to REAL bullet hell shooters... I mean, the path is practically carved out for you. The bullets are too slow to feel intense, the levels are monotonous and feel surprisingly lifeless compared to the amount of bullets onscreen, and whenever I find myself playing it I can't help but think over all the good shmups I've played and say "why aren't I playing one of these?"

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If you're ever in Japan, be sure to check out some of the doujin shops. Weird, creepy artwork, comics and games involving the (very young) girls from the Touhou series. The series is massive here - The characters are plush toys, adorn soft drink cans, star in videos, and even have their own brand of rice. It's bizarre really.

I don't know man. When I visited Japan it seemed to me that just about every single female walking on the street there was short, flat chested, with a face that looks to be 12 years old.

anji2128

n00b
I haven't spent but maybe 5 hours with Imperishable Night, and I have to say I have extremely mixed opinions about the game.
I think the only thing I really love is the bullet patterns. They're not too overwhelming, and they're just nice to look at (and not impossible to handle either).