SMVSII scaling problem

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
board1w.jpg

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
Anyhow, last night i did a forum search for "scaling", "phantom", etc., looking for answers to these particular scaling issues. After hours of reading, i've come up with some conclusions:

1.) Both the P1 and SMVSII have consistently inconsistent scaling issues depending on factors such as board revision, cart, and converter build. Everyone has a different opinion on the problem. Personally, after having read everything, i think the problem depends on multiple factors listed above and not just one. Pin-pointing the exact working combination is not possible.

2.) Neo Alec has beat this topic to death, buried it, dug it up, and fucked its ass. :tickled:

But really, i can understand your point of view. Not to sound like a douche, but this rig cost me around a grand and i'm still not playing in perfection, whereas a considerably cheaper cmvs/supergun rig would. In my eyes, neither way is perfect. I have always wanted an AES in its sleek console form playing the actual games rather than a CMVS, in its rather home-made appearance, doing the same..but obviously one trades appearance for slightly better compatibility.

To each his own. :)

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
For the money the converter costs, the issues outweigh the "worth"

If I bought a tv that had fucked video, I'd be pissed. Dunno why people accept a converter at that price that has video issues, when a cmvs can be had for just a bit more

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
pfffff.... never mind.

:oh_no:

My neutral argument went to blind eyes.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The reason I've beat it to death is that I was one of the earlier owners and wanted to warn others of the problems. Originally the hype surrounding the converter was overall quite positive. When I brought mine to a Neo gathering many were excited to try it, and coveted the thing. I have to keep posting about it because people start topics like this one without doing the research and searching first, as Kevums eventually did.

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
The reason I've beat it to death is that I was one of the earlier owners and wanted to warn others of the problems. Originally the hype surrounding the converter was overall quite positive. When I brought mine to a Neo gathering many were excited to try it, and coveted the thing. I have to keep posting about it because people start topics like this one without doing the research and searching first, as Kevums eventually did.

To be honest, you are right. Some people looking to play games with heavy scaling in their perfect form such as all of the older Fatal Furys and Last Blades will be displeased. For my purposes, i am pleased with how it has performed. I admit that some of the games, like SSVS, don't perform as well as i would of hoped, but for the most part i am playing what i want in its proper form.

The difference with me? I DID the research and could of gave a shit less. So here i am, happy with my purchase. :smirk:

Daedalus

If there's a Bandwagon. I'm on it!
To be honest, you are right. Some people looking to play games with heavy scaling in their perfect form such as all of the older Fatal Furys and Last Blades will be displeased. For my purposes, i am pleased with how it has performed. I admit that some of the games, like SSVS, don't perform as well as i would of hoped, but for the most part i am playing what i want in its proper form.

The difference with me? I DID the research and could of gave a shit less. So here i am, happy with my purchase. :smirk:

That puts things in a little better perspective for me, however it *is* a converter, its kinda of like getting annoyed that when they brought arcade games home to consoles it wasn't the EXACT same thing...

I am also curious now if I can link my cab to my aes system via converter, or even if the mvs game and the aes cart will talk to one another....maybe I'll try to find a REALLY long headphone cable..

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
Neo Alec, do you have any experience with the P1? If so, how would you say it stands up to the SCII in terms of scaling ?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Neo Alec, do you have any experience with the P1? If so, how would you say it stands up to the SCII in terms of scaling ?
I've only seen the P1 running, I've never owned one. From what I've seen and heard, it has many of the same problems, or different problems. The SCII does have some problems that the P1 doesn't have (glitches in Twinklestar Sprites). My impression is that the P1 might be less glitchy, but it certainly plays less of the games and is harder to use. Bottom line is we're still waiting for a perfect converter.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Scaling is also present in the Phantom-1. My Sam Sho mvs played on this converter looks as if the background sprite size and distance aren't scaled to match, so the graphics look like equidistant colored dots on a white background and looks really bad.

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
ah,ok. i have read and heard from some that the P1 was better with scaling but i have also read the opposite from some people as well, including you.

we truly are waiting for the perfect converter. any idea if another is in the works? i assume that neoteam is done but who knows.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
From my experience the P1 didn't really have scaling problems as evident as the SMVSC2.

If someone wants to send me their P1 I'll do a comparison video.

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
From my experience the P1 didn't really have scaling problems as evident as the SMVSC2.

If someone wants to send me their P1 I'll do a comparison video.

i'd be interested in seeing the results

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
bump for Xian Xi's request

also, what is the in-depth problem with the scaling? is the scaling data interpreted differently/incorrectly?

grimm

Marked Wolf
Hi, sorry to bring up this thread if it annoys someone, but i just dug up my old aes and Neoteam's super converter 2, and i noticed the scaling issues on some of the few mvs games i do own for it. Like Last Blade, SSIV and Real Bout Fatal Fury Special.

What i would like to ask you Mr.Kevums is which revision of the SC2 you own? I think there was an earlier one with a red LED, and the later with a blue LED. Would be good to know if we purchased the same version. I have the blue LED, and although it is annoying with the graphical glitches i can live with it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Red was the original release which only lasted about a week I think before units were sent back and updated and fitted with a blue led instead. They didn't really say what they changed.

grimm

Marked Wolf
Alright, thanks for the response. I guess us guys who want the aes to play mvs flawlessly might have to wait for an enternity for a perfect converter..

I am not above getting a CMVS, but id really like to avoid that. So far i dont have enough MVS games with issues to warrant such a system either.

But who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and sometime, someone might release a perfect converter! *prepares to cross fingers for forever*

WolfHound

Overtop Pathfinder
Hi,

would like to get MVS carts for Metal Slug series but saw from forum MSX or MS5 have issues?
also interested in getting Striker 1945 Plus n Aero Fighters shooting games, any issue with this MVS converter?

Using a AES 3-5 with power adaptor 9V 1.2A

or is it better getting a MVS system with supergun?

Thanks in advance