SMVSII scaling problem

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
I knew about this particular problem before i even got everything together but i didn't realize it stands out in some fighters so much. Is there any real fix to this other than messing with the pot screw that does almost nothing?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
This is why I gave mine up. A lot of members on this forum have tried to reason that it's not so bad, that an AES with the converter is a decent setup for the money, but it isn't. The problem is simply unacceptable. If I'm gonna pay into the hundreds for arcade-perfect games, that's what I expect to get. It could have been addressed if someone had put the effort into a better converter. It's not worth the asking price.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
This is why I gave mine up. A lot of members on this forum have tried to reason that it's not so bad, that an AES with the converter is a decent setup for the money, but it isn't. The problem is simply unacceptable. The problem could be addressed if someone had put the effort into a better converter. It's not worth the asking price.

Ok, help a noob out....

I'm assuming an AES converter is to get the home system working on a JAMMA harness?

For what reason would you want to do that? MVS systems are pretty cheap and you can always upscan to TV/Monitor resolutions rather than refitting an AES system to work on a lower scan.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Ok, help a noob out....

I'm assuming an AES converter is to get the home system working on a JAMMA harness?

For what reason would you want to do that? MVS systems are pretty cheap and you can always upscan to TV/Monitor resolutions rather than refitting an AES system to work on a lower scan.
No, it allows you to play the MVS (arcade) cartridges on the home (AES) system. It has nothing to do with a jamma harness. But you can build what you're talking about if you like.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Exactly what i had read before hand.

I'm guessing the next cost-effective way is to do a conversion?

In degrees of money saving and effectiveness:

1. MVS+Supergun or CMVS (Cheapest)
2. Conversion
3. AES with SMVC2 (Most Headaches)

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member

2. Conversion

Yeah i already jumped on the pricey bandwaggon :tickled:

guess i'll get a conversion for some of the titles i really like.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Nice. It would be even better if your video showed a comparison with how the game is supposed to look. I think people rationalize by getting used to the problem and not realizing how much better it's supposed to look. When I first encountered the issue, I thought maybe I was just being paranoid. A spit screen comparison would be the best, if someone could make that.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
Oh, I see. So no JAMMA harness involved, it just lets you play MVS carts in an AES.

2. Conversion

Because of the price tag for these converters it is a better choice as a whole to go with a consolized MVS system.

Between Xian Xi and the site linked, I'm still going to ask why you wouldn't just upscan/supergun/whatever an MVS........

Edit and PS -
I think for what you could get for that CMVS doohickey on ebay, you could buy an MVS-1 ($50ish?) and an upscanner (there's one on jammaboards.com that works great with MVS for $50).

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Honestly, if there is any possibility in getting an MVS cab, get one. You can get a cab for the same price as a CMVS or supergun+mobo.

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
Nice. It would be even better if your video showed a comparison with how the game is supposed to look. I think people rationalize by getting used to the problem and not realizing how much better it's supposed to look. When I first encountered the issue, I thought maybe I was just being paranoid. A spit screen comparison would be the best, if someone could make that.

The thing is, 90% of the games i want to play/own in arcade-perfect form play fine with the converter. So the issues with scaling for the 3-5 games that i like is not, like you said, something one can never truly rationalize with and get over. I can just simply get them in some other format.

Oh, I see. So no JAMMA harness involved, it just lets you play MVS carts in an AES.

Between Xian Xi and the site linked, I'm still going to ask why you wouldn't just upscan/supergun/whatever an MVS........

Edit and PS -
I think for what you could get for that CMVS doohickey on ebay, you could buy an MVS-1 ($50ish?) and an upscanner (there's one on jammaboards.com that works great with MVS for $50).

Because i have wanted an AES since i was a little shit in 2001 when i joined this bitch.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The thing is, 90% of the games i want to play/own in arcade-perfect form play fine with the converter. So the issues with scaling for the 3-5 games that i like is not, like you said, something one can never truly rationalize with and get over. I can just simply get them in some other format.
You think they play perfect with the converter. The truth is any part of any game that uses scaling in any way can be messed up. It's just most noticeable in fighters. And there can be glitches of all sorts: Random dots appearing in many games, improper sound levels in KOF 2002, unresolvable video issues in Twinklestar Sprites are just a few examples of other permanent problems I've encountered. It's just a poor converter all around that's gonna cause more headaches than bliss in the long run.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
Because i have wanted an AES since i was a little shit in 2001 when i joined this bitch.

I tip my hat to you, sir, for you are win and awesome embodied in the dedication of fulfilling that dream regardless of the possible pitfalls. Sincerest good luck!

I personally am an arcade rat, and would want the MVS. ;)
I also have a thing for Naomi's and, despite the near perfect DreamCast versions of Naomi GD-ROM games, still want a standup Guilty Gear and sit-down Crazy Taxi.

Daedalus

If there's a Bandwagon. I'm on it!
I guess I am not a child of the "Wah" generation. I remember saving FOREVER to buy my first AES unit. I was lucky to have simple titles like Fatal Fury 1, Riding Hero, and Baseball Stars. On the east coast, "Game Dude" was a dream come true with cheesy print outs of what a game would cost "if" they had it...

Just being able to play nostalgic games that people only dreamed of in home console, where there were some glitches or not, brought video gaming for some poor ass city boys to a new level....

My friend and I (had our parents/grandparents) drive across 3 states from Funcoland to Funcoland looking for AES items, to buy the cheapest titles at top dollar ( spending countless hours of lawn mowing ) an MVS converter is the greatest thing since sliced bread for an old school hardcore gamer as myself to come across....

You can flame all you want...seeing Art of Fighting ( playable, glitches and all ) on a home screens is way better than I had growing up...

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
You think they play perfect with the converter. The truth is any part of any game that uses scaling in any way can be messed up. It's just most noticeable in fighters. And there can be glitches of all sorts: Random dots appearing in many games, improper sound levels in KOF 2002, unresolvable video issues in Twinklestar Sprites are just a few examples of other permanent problems I've encountered. It's just a poor converter all around that's gonna cause more headaches than bliss in the long run.

I've noticed these imperfections you speak of. I'm no perfectionist. Like i said, the games i am interested in play fine, with "fine" being 90-100%. The games i'm not interested in, such as Twinklestar Sprites, don't matter. For me, for my desires, the converter is good.

When i created this thread, i was simply curious as to if there was any know fix for these few games that i happen to like that have some scaling issues.

I tip my hat to you, sir, for you are win and awesome embodied in the dedication of fulfilling that dream regardless of the possible pitfalls. Sincerest good luck!

I personally am an arcade rat, and would want the MVS. ;)
I also have a thing for Naomi's and, despite the near perfect DreamCast versions of Naomi GD-ROM games, still want a standup Guilty Gear and sit-down Crazy Taxi.

I guess I am not a child of the "Wah" generation. I remember saving FOREVER to buy my first AES unit. I was lucky to have simple titles like Fatal Fury 1, Riding Hero, and Baseball Stars. On the east coast, "Game Dude" was a dream come true with cheesy print outs of what a game would cost "if" they had it...

Just being able to play nostalgic games that people only dreamed of in home console, where there were some glitches or not, brought video gaming for some poor ass city boys to a new level....

My friend and I (had our parents/grandparents) drive across 3 states from Funcoland to Funcoland looking for AES items, to buy the cheapest titles at top dollar ( spending countless hours of lawn mowing ) an MVS converter is the greatest thing since sliced bread for an old school hardcore gamer as myself to come across....

You can flame all you want...seeing Art of Fighting ( playable, glitches and all ) on a home screens is way better than I had growing up...

As i also salute you two as well. :buttrock:

While it would be nice, I could care less about the games running ABSOLUTELY perfect. Shit, would people rather me play "arcade-perfect" roms or be a real fan and buy real hardware playing real games?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member

I was the same way, but I eventually fulfilled the whole dream later by means of a CMVS, not by a converter. I get all the home options thanks to the Unibios, and I saved a lot of money compared to what the AES route would have cost me. Also, I'm not settling for 90% like Kevums.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
I was the same way, but I eventually fulfilled the whole dream later by means of a CMVS, not by a converter. I get all the home options thanks to the Unibios, and I saved a lot of money compared to what the AES route would have cost me. Also, I'm not settling for 90% like Kevums.

This will definitely be the route I'm going.... plus I stumbled on to a dedicated 1 slot cabinet. I'll be using it for JAMMA for games I can't live without and games that weren't available for the MVS. My KoF XI should work great in there.