Please Help me with getting the right Hyper64 PSU for my supergun so i can play games

rugal2000

, Troll Me, , Cuz I is 3lit3, ,
Hello there

Any help here is greatly appreciated. Kernow has been a big help already. I apologise for the lack of pictures as I dont know how to get somewhere to host images. But if anyone is kind enough to drop me an email address via pm i can email pictures showing everything you need.

Ok.....My problem is I own a uberia supergun which is a very compact designed one, great for running 1 slot mvs boards but it cant seemingly power up my hyper 64 board for play.

The board does come on but all i get is a sky blue screen which stays on permanently.

My power supply is a desktop type one which is detachable from the main supergun console. It is composed on 2 parts. The main plug plus lead to go into the desktop power supply , this has a biggish 3 pin trainagular shape which slots into the power supplys identical 3 pin triangle shape which is the same as the desktop in the auction picture below:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-Volt-20W-4A...omputing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item439b645209

My desktop PSU says on it in regards to its power:

Input 100-240v Output
50-60hz +5V, 4.0A
0.7-0.3A +12V, 1.0A

Total Output not to exceed 25 watts.

The pin on this desktop psu which slots into the supergun console is at the supergun end, 5pins and seems to be a similar size to the pin that connects a scart lead into the neo geo aes console.

Now i dont know what kind of voltage the hyper 64 would need to power up. I have looked at the hyper 64 board and can see something saying 12V DC.

So my question is this , I need to locate a suitable power supply to run on my supergun safely and to enable the hyper 64 board to power up. Obviously the desktop PSU must have the same 5pin connector to slot into the supergun.

I realise my description isnt the best but at the very least if someone could kindly tell me what power output plug/ desktop PSU i need to buy to be able to power the supergun it would be a great help!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
My desktop PSU says on it in regards to its power:

Input 100-240v Output
50-60hz +5V, 4.0A
0.7-0.3A +12V, 1.0A

I have my hyper running with a PSU rated exactly the same.

Just a thought, but have you tried re-inserting the game a few times. I think the screen loads up blue when there is no board, so maybe it's just not recognizing the game?

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
And from the wiki (and I think Xian Xi said this too),

Powering the Board
When powering a Hyper Neo Geo 64 board all (4) +5v pins on the JAMMA connector(3,4,C,D) must have +5v going to them. This is due to the double layer board design of the Hyper Neo Geo 64.
Correctly powered boards will display a blue screen with white text as the board and game boot up. If not powered properly, only a blue screen will be displayed.

Often a board only needs 5V to one pin, since they are all actually linked.

If you have a multimeter, check that there is 5V on all 4 pins.

rugal2000

I have my hyper running with a PSU rated exactly the same.

Just a thought, but have you tried re-inserting the game a few times. I think the screen loads up blue when there is no board, so maybe it's just not recognizing the game?

Your a damn nice guy it must be the 4th or 5th time u helped me out.

Okay the deal, is I got these off jeff ferrier of vectorlogic. I tried inserting reinserting them quite afew times. The hyper 64 carts dont seem to be like the aes ones in that the aes ones you can clean with a qtip and window cleaner solution. These hyper 64 cart slots seem narrower so i would have thought collect less dust? I plus them in and push the plug in, but all 3 carts i own dont come on. I know jeff has had them lying around for almost a decade. Perhaps they do need a clean, would u suggest anything?

rugal2000

And from the wiki (and I think Xian Xi said this too),

Powering the Board
When powering a Hyper Neo Geo 64 board all (4) +5v pins on the JAMMA connector(3,4,C,D) must have +5v going to them. This is due to the double layer board design of the Hyper Neo Geo 64.
Correctly powered boards will display a blue screen with white text as the board and game boot up. If not powered properly, only a blue screen will be displayed.

Often a board only needs 5V to one pin, since they are all actually linked.

If you have a multimeter, check that there is 5V on all 4 pins.

Im sorry but i have read this before and it gets me very confused. The bit about........... "When powering a Hyper Neo Geo 64 board all (4) +5v pins on the JAMMA connector(3,4,C,D) must have +5v going to them. This is due to the double layer board design of the Hyper Neo Geo 64"..........is this referring to the jamma connector on the hyper 64 board? or the jamma connector on the supergun?

The hyper 64 connector just looks like gold with teeth on it, same as any other pcb jamma connector, and the supergun connector has a blue plastic trim and the same gold teeth and i just line it up with the hyper 64 jamma connector teeth and push them in to connect with each other as I would a jamma pcb or mvs one slot. I cant see any adjustable pins on either of these two connectors and dont understand the "all (4) +5v pins on the jamma connector of the hyper 64" bit or the requirement for +5v into all of them, surely the desktop PSU already has a power supply of +5v going in?

Sorry to be so thick but any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Mine worked first time, so I doubt they need any cleaning.

rugal2000

Mine worked first time, so I doubt they need any cleaning.

and it does seem that connecting hyper64 games onto the hyper 64 motherboard doesnt leave that much room for error like with an aes cart and aes system where its easy to put the cart in the wrong way....with the hyper 64 hell it seems you just line the game up and push down.. ....perhaps one line of thought i havent explored is that the games or motherboard are faulty.Certainly I dont detect any heat, sign of life when i put them on.But maybe thats normal?

As far as I know the supergun give a sky blue picture regardless even when no board is connected to it?

Last edited:

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
A supergun with nothing attached gives no picture at all.... unless UBERIA did something weird.

Ok, so the point about the "5V on all four pins" is this:

Some superguns only give out 5V on pins 3 and 4 (or even just one of the pins) of the blue connector because the JAMMA board that they are powering has pins 3, 4, C and D all wired together.

However, the Hyper64 board does not have pins 3,4,C and D wired together, and it requires that the supergun is powering all four pins with 5V.

I.e. if you have a multimeter and check the blue JAMMA connector, you need to have 5V at pins 3, 4, C and D. (Which to be honest I would expect with a Uberia model)

Hope that helps.

If you check this, and you do have 5V to all four pins, then the PSU must be underpowered.

So, then I suggest you buy a cheapo supergun e.g. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Supergun-Arca...Operated_MJ&hash=item27b2bce188#ht_500wt_1154 which is £24. Then you use a PC PSU to power it, which has far more power than any board will ever need.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Aren't those vogatek all in one supergun boards only 3 buttons from jamma though?

edit, maybe thats a new model, he does say you can plug in a neo stick and you'd hope ABCD would work on a one slot/hyper.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Aren't those vogatek all in one supergun boards only 3 buttons from jamma though?

edit, maybe thats a new model, he does say you can plug in a neo stick and you'd hope ABCD would work on a one slot/hyper.

AFAIK (I'll know shortly as I bought another one of these) each vogatek model has different button layouts. Some have Neo ports (I.e. should be 4 button JAMMA), some have Megadrive ports (i.e. should be 3 button JAMMA) and some have a terminal block you wire yourself (i.e. should be 4 button JAMMA)

I normally use a HOU YEU (SP?) version which is wired perfectly for Neo Geo.

rugal2000

A supergun with nothing attached gives no picture at all.... unless UBERIA did something weird.

Ok, so the point about the "5V on all four pins" is this:

Some superguns only give out 5V on pins 3 and 4 (or even just one of the pins) of the blue connector because the JAMMA board that they are powering has pins 3, 4, C and D all wired together.

However, the Hyper64 board does not have pins 3,4,C and D wired together, and it requires that the supergun is powering all four pins with 5V.

I.e. if you have a multimeter and check the blue JAMMA connector, you need to have 5V at pins 3, 4, C and D. (Which to be honest I would expect with a Uberia model)

Hope that helps.

If you check this, and you do have 5V to all four pins, then the PSU must be underpowered.

So, then I suggest you buy a cheapo supergun e.g. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Supergun-Arca...Operated_MJ&hash=item27b2bce188#ht_500wt_1154 which is £24. Then you use a PC PSU to power it, which has far more power than any board will ever need.

Thanks its more clear even for a technical luddite like me! So its the supergun jamma connector i need to play around with to make sure it is connected properly.

I will also try and push the cart in properly later as per your earlier suggestion.

If none of that works than Ill see if i can buy a new supergun.

Thanks again and i will provide an update later

rugal2000

You get your setup running yet?

Hi there,
thanks so much for the concern. Sadly i havent yet. Mainly cos my dad just came out of hospital after a knee operation and is bed ridden for a week and I put my light portable gaming tv in his bedroom, and i cant set up the hyper 64 on my plasma as the tv leads are too short from the table!!

I will try again tonight after work. Its so frustrating now being able to play!!
Thanks again for the concern
Will report back

rugal2000

Hi just a quick update. Sadly things are as they were. All i get is the sky blue screen. It must be the power supply.

I also spoke to vectorlogic and they replied back in regards to a new power supply:

"OK - that's not a proper power supply for arcade use - a 25W supply will only run older or smaller boards so you will need a 110W or 130W supply for something like this

The 5 way connector is not standard in any way so you'll need to re-wire your supergun " - They mentioned they will be producing a new supergun in q4 so i suppose that is that! I will have to make do with youtube videos of the game!

Last edited:

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Dude - I sent you an eBay link for a £22 "supergun" which needs a £7 PC psu and then it will run your stuff no problem.

I can post pics of my setup if you need them, but it's so easy to do.

rugal2000

Hi el capitan
yeah thanks for that link. I did exchange a couple of emails with that guy but he came across as a little obnoxious so I dont think i'll be dealing with him.

I did receive some more helpful advice from Jeff at vector logic when i asked if he could do me the neccesary psu with a 5 pin connector to go into the supergun. He replied

"Not really - that connector is not designed to take that sort of power that would be required for newer boards - the pins will not be rated to 15A or anywhere near that .You would be best advise to replace the old power supply and rewire the supply to the jamma connector - ie replace the 5 pin connector - that would solve the problem for you" Jeff

Im minded to sell the uberia supergun on these pages and will put up an advert today. Than i will see if i can buy a ready to go supergun!

thanks again.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Okay the deal, is I got these off jeff ferrier of vectorlogic.

I got one from him as well and it did the same thing. It wasnt the power supply.
It looked like it was damaged in shipping he did a crappy job packaging it and it also looked like it had been through a flood.

One day after swapping the carts several times and leaving it running for a few minutes it just started to work. Its worked semi reliably since then.

rugal2000

Thanks for this xavier.

This thought was in the back of my mind.

I will switch on the game later on and leave it to run for say 10-15 minutes? and see if the game comes on.

Did you also get the sky blue screen initially, befor eyour game flicked on?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Did you also get the sky blue screen initially, befor eyour game flicked on?

Blue screen is normal during boot. You should see the blue screen with white text then after about 30 seconds the game comes on.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
But a plain blue screen with no text ever appearing, means somethings wrong :)

rugal2000

Its just the plain blue screen i get. Ive tried everything leaving it on , when the blue screen comes on for 5-10 minutes but nothing. Ive tried cleaning the jamma connector but nothing.

I guess the only sure thing is
a) send the whole package to a member at my cost to test out eg to test my motherboard and games on their set up)

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Your power supply simply isn't strong enough. Not even close. We answered this in the other thread. Frankly, those mini guns they sell on ebay are not adequate out of the box.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ya, your PSU sounds weak since it's a max continuos of 25 watts meaning 12 watts for the +12v and 13 watts for the +5v line meaning it can only out put about 2.5A on the +5v side. I think you need at least 3A on the +5v side.

rugal2000

yep thanks guys ive come to that conclusion also.

I think my best way to go is to pick up some cabinet down the line and use that to power it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I was consolizing a Hyper today for a friend and I was succesful with powering it using an SC200. On his board I had to remove the relay on the +12v line and bridge the +5v pins under it.

One thing you might want to check on your supergun is if +5v goes to all 4 designated +5v pins. If the hyper doesn't get +5v on all 4 pins or both layers then it won't boot properly.

You can either fix the supergun or simply bridge 2 pins on the power connector on the Hyper.