Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 79

Thread: The audio issue of AES revision 3-4

  1. #51
    NAM-75 Vet
    Green Beret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somewhere in Abell 2151

    Posts
    492
    If you have the volume of the speakers up, on Neo Geo logo you can hear a buzz and right after it where it says caution instructions for 1 sec the buzz changes to higher frequensy buzz for this sec, then it becomes the initial buzz sound.
    I have put 4 104 caps and a 470uf on the sound chip. It didn't work.
    But the 4 104 caps I used were larger in size (double size) compared to the caps MKL used. Maybe they were "Mylars" like Xian said. The shop had only them to give me.
    EDIT Are mylars not suitable?
    Last edited by Green Beret; 05-21-2014 at 01:53 AM.

  2. #52
    H = Hot
    M = Macho
    G = Gay
    HeavyMachineGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Canada

    Posts
    3,829
    I didn't change out any Mylar caps. I thought those didn't usually have to be changed.

    I haven't added the 3-4 fix either.

  3. #53
    JammaNationX
    Xian Xi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Waipahu, Hawaii

    Posts
    27,504
    They only need to be changed once in a great while. I don't think it's the mylars. Make sure you guys are putting the caps across VCC and ground pins on each chip and not just random pins.

  4. #54
    NAM-75 Vet
    Green Beret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somewhere in Abell 2151

    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi View Post
    They only need to be changed once in a great while. I don't think it's the mylars. Make sure you guys are putting the caps across VCC and ground pins on each chip and not just random pins.
    Have you done it succesfully on a 3.3?

  5. #55
    Cham Cham's Banana
    Luciano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cologne, Germany

    Posts
    167
    Hi guys, I have a problem with my japanese 3-6 AES. It has a RGB bypass mod and stereo mod getting the signal from the Headphones. Unfortunately I am getting a buzz sound on my Hifi no matter how I connect it. I had another Neo Geo with a stereo mod before which did not have the problem.

    I used good shielded cables and the mod is correctly done. Is there any solution?

  6. #56

  7. #57
    Krauser's Shoe Shiner
    donluca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Rome

    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    Hi guys, I have a problem with my japanese 3-6 AES. It has a RGB bypass mod and stereo mod getting the signal from the Headphones. Unfortunately I am getting a buzz sound on my Hifi no matter how I connect it. I had another Neo Geo with a stereo mod before which did not have the problem.

    I used good shielded cables and the mod is correctly done. Is there any solution?
    The audio signal is likely to be missing ground. Just connect it from the neo geo to the RCA cables (or whatever you're using), you can get it from a lot of places.
    Last edited by donluca; 09-22-2015 at 07:37 AM.

  8. #58
    Cham Cham's Banana
    Luciano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cologne, Germany

    Posts
    167
    The cable was made by a friend of mine and he also made the cable I had with the other Neo which did not have the buzzing. Cable should be fine, he knows what he does.

    I took the ground signal close to the audio L and Audio R, should I take it somewhere else? Its going through scart.

  9. #59
    Krauser's Shoe Shiner
    donluca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Rome

    Posts
    241
    Check in your scart if the audio ground is wired properly. It should be pin 4.


  10. #60
    Cham Cham's Banana
    Luciano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cologne, Germany

    Posts
    167
    There is ground, but only connected from the main ground. Is this the problem?

  11. #61
    Krauser's Shoe Shiner
    donluca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Rome

    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    There is ground, but only connected from the main ground. Is this the problem?
    To do stuff properly, ALL grounds should be connected.

    For now, if video works ok, just solder a wire going from the ground pin to the audio ground pin (which is pin 4 - refer to the above picture).

  12. #62
    Cham Cham's Banana
    Luciano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cologne, Germany

    Posts
    167
    As I said before, there is a ground connected to pin 4, but its coming from pin 18.

  13. #63
    Krauser's Shoe Shiner
    donluca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Rome

    Posts
    241
    If you've already checked with a multimeter if there's continuity between pin 4, RCA Ground and a ground point on the board, there's definitely no ground issues and we can move forward.
    Although buzzing sounds are 99% of times related to a missing ground connection.

    One more thing: do you have all the power supplies plugged into the same power strip?

    I remember once I was getting crazy because I had a loud buzz in the sound and couldn't understand where that came from. Ultimately I discovered I had a ground loop and solved by plugging all the power supplies in the chain to the same power strip.

  14. #64
    Cham Cham's Banana
    Luciano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cologne, Germany

    Posts
    167
    I will try, thank you!

  15. #65
    Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Hells Kitchen, California

    Posts
    1,547
    All the pics of the first post appear to be dead links. Can someone please replace them here if they have them? I would appreciate it.

  16. #66
    Southern Pounce.
    DaytimeDreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Milton Keynes, UK

    Posts
    672
    Quote Originally Posted by Fakk2 View Post
    All the pics of the first post appear to be dead links. Can someone please replace them here if they have them? I would appreciate it.
    Basically this. I need to send an AES 3-4 for fixing and it would be great if we could find some pics related to the first post.

  17. #67
    Cheng's Errand Boy
    nam9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Norway

    Posts
    120
    Damn, when did these go down? I just picked up a bag of bypass caps...
    Does anyone have the pic showing the blue bypass caps on the underside of the motherboard?

    Edit: Found it...

    3-4 Ceramic caps.jpg
    Last edited by nam9; 03-12-2016 at 03:07 PM.

  18. #68
    Timid Neo Newbie

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    UK, Lancs

    Posts
    9
    I am trying to resolve the issue on my 3-6 board but the pictures are no longer valid, did anyone save a copy of them ? Cheers

  19. #69

    YodaChips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Near Montreal

    Posts
    162
    Where did you find it??
    Thx

    Quote Originally Posted by nam9 View Post
    Damn, when did these go down? I just picked up a bag of bypass caps...
    Does anyone have the pic showing the blue bypass caps on the underside of the motherboard?

    Edit: Found it...

    3-4 Ceramic caps.jpg
    Gatsou & Caska will dominate!!!
    My post number is broken

    !!Great sellers/traders I dealt with:Big Bear x4, Jim is Hot, Hentai Sama, dbarrett0928, Bones, Neo Bomber Man, Joe McCabe x2, Kenny Boy x3, MilkManX, Kobylka68, rimms_rs, Shawn (Neo-Store), 5thlion5thlion, Bluevoodu, ckchan x2, Shining Kooksu, Msu89dawgs, KOF RUGAL B., Dewclaw, Lemony Vengeance, Renmauzo, Unofficialitguy, snes_collector, NeoTurfMasta, pipes,egg_sanwich, Colorado Rockie!!

  20. #70
    Southern Pounce.
    DaytimeDreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Milton Keynes, UK

    Posts
    672
    If anyone has done the ceramic cap mod can he upload a high resolution pic so we can see this better?

  21. #71
    Southern Pounce.
    DaytimeDreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Milton Keynes, UK

    Posts
    672
    Bumping this thread.

    Since all pics of the original post by MKL are lost you can use this thread here for reference. Expect detailed pics of the mod is some days when I receive the 3-4 board back

    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showth...Video-Audio%29

  22. #72

    MKL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Italy

    Posts
    3,620
    First post can't be edited so here it is again with pics.

    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?p=975663
    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140668
    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129063

    A few years ago, after buying a system from me, the customer (who considered himself an audiophile) complained that he could hear a buzzing noise coming from his TV speakers as well as from the headphone jack. He also mentioned that he had a low serial system that didn't have that issue at all.

    Since I had another (unmodded) system with the same PCB revision (3-4), I tested it immediately and much to my surprise it was having the same issues described by the guy. I couldn't believe I had never noticed it because once it was pointed out to me it was impossible not to hear it.

    To get a better grasp of the problem I ran tests with as basic a setup as possible: I ran the system without hooking up video, only with headphones plugged in and another system (revision 3-6) running next to it, also with only headphones in and only the 3-4 was having the buzzing issue. Both system were powered by the same power supply (without step-down transformer) so the PSU was ruled out as a possible cause.

    When the guy sent the system back to me along with his other "silent" system (that turned out to be the very first PCB type NEO-AES) the tests confirmed that 3-4 had the issue and that NEO-AES was buzz-free just like 3-6. The thing was all the more puzzling as NEO-AES and 3-4, despite being different revisions, have the same audio circuit (while on revisions 3-5 and 3-6 it's partly different).

    I was starting to randomly put the blame on the different PCB layout of the 3-4 causing interference when I noticed the difference between the NEO-AES and 3-4 circuits: each audio IC (DAC, op-amps, headphone amplifier) on the NEO-AES has a decoupling (bypass) cap nearby (close to the VCC and GND leads) just like all the other ICs on the board which is what you would normally expect to see:





    The 3-4 system doesn't have them though. Not a single bypass cap in sight:




    After adding 0.1uF (104 marking) caps across the 5V and ground leads of each IC the issue was gone:



    The cap for the DAC (YM3016) seems to make the most difference.

    According to the datasheet, the bypass cap recommended for the headphone amplifier IC is a 100uF electrolytic cap. The value for this cap on MVS boards is 470uF. I put a 100uF (470uF is too bulky) in addition to the 0.1uF:


    Last edited by MKL; 12-09-2017 at 02:53 AM.

  23. #73

    MKL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Italy

    Posts
    3,620
    Of course you will have noticed the 1000pF (marking 102K) caps soldered to pin 1 and 16 of the IC. Those are other components that SNK left out of the headphone circuit on AES boards but they're supposed to be there according to the datasheet (they are part of a low-pass filter on the inputs) and are not missing from MVS boards:



    A further example of the lack of attention in designing the audio circuit on this revision is the incorrect placement of two polyester caps in the L channel path:




    To rectify things desolder and swap them.

    How about the other revisions? Will 3-3 have the same issue as 3-4? I didn't have the chance to test one but judging by the lack of bypass caps for the audio ICs it's safe to assume it has the issue too:



    I mentioned above that revision 3-6 is buzz-free. Let's take a look at the audio circuit of this board:




    In this case the caps used for decoupling purposes are electrolytic instead of the usual multilayer ceramic ones. They're the 10uF caps numbered 1, 3 and 9 in the previous pics.

    Revision 3-5 is almost identical to 3-6 but guess what, the bypass cap for the DAC (number 1 on 3-6) is missing:



    I haven't tested a 3-5 system so I can't tell if the missing cap makes any difference.

    It may be worth mentioning here that the headphone out on revision 3-6 has the R and L channels reversed. I had noticed this years ago and wasn't the only one:

    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94456

    Since then I have found why. It's another mistake of good ol' SNK designers. Apparently they realized it and made a correction on later boards by moving a couple of resistors:


  24. #74
    JammaNationX
    Xian Xi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Waipahu, Hawaii

    Posts
    27,504
    Quote Originally Posted by MKL View Post
    Of course you will have noticed the 1000pF (marking 102K) caps soldered to pin 1 and 16 of the IC. Those are other components that SNK left out of the headphone circuit on AES boards but they're supposed to be there according to the datasheet (they are part of a low-pass filter on the inputs) and are not missing from MVS boards:



    A further example of the lack of attention in designing the audio circuit on this revision is the incorrect placement of two polyester caps in the L channel path:




    To rectify things desolder and swap them.

    How about the other revisions? Will 3-3 have the same issue as 3-4? I didn't have the chance to test one but judging by the lack of bypass caps for the audio ICs it's safe to assume it has the issue too:



    I mentioned above that revision 3-6 is buzz-free. Let's take a look at the audio circuit of this board:




    In this case the caps used for decoupling purposes are electrolytic instead of the usual multilayer ceramic ones. They're the 10uF caps numbered 1, 3 and 9 in the previous pics.

    Revision 3-5 is almost identical to 3-6 but guess what, the bypass cap for the DAC (number 1 on 3-6) is missing:



    I haven't tested a 3-5 system so I can't tell if the missing cap makes any difference.

    It may be worth mentioning here that the headphone out on revision 3-6 has the R and L channels reversed. I had noticed this years ago and wasn't the only one:

    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94456

    Since then I have found why. It's another mistake of good ol' SNK designers. Apparently they realized it and made a correction on later boards by moving a couple of resistors:

    Holy crap, Michele, where have you been my friend? Glad you are ok.

  25. #75

    MKL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Italy

    Posts
    3,620
    I've been running a lot.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •