Tell me what games I should play thread.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
as for the counterintuitive thing.....guess it depends on the player to a degree....old school shmup players would be used to hanging back and bombing....people who play more modern cave type stuff are aware of the finer points of these games and would approach it differently

Speaking of counterintuitive, Ibara takes the cake here. The pros bomb more than they shoot, gets killed on purpose left and right to drop rank and replenish bomb stock, and milk bosses until they leave on their own. Just about everything that is old school habit with a twist.

Last edited:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
You bring up a good point, Jonny. And I'm not claiming to be anything more than a complete n00b to the genre - I've played a little bit, and made some very basic observations. Frankly, I'm not sure why TonK feels the need to keep bringing that up.

I keep saying "I'm new to the genre. I've played X game a bit, and not really a fan." to which Mike says "No. You're wrong." I'm sorry - HOW specifically is my opinion a factual error?

But yeah, Galuda is a FANTASTIC first step - makes a subgenre that I never appreciated before actually seem quite appealing.

Dude, you're getting way too technical on the wording.

Before you storm into a thread and question why I don't play "anything but Cave"

Try doing some research.

Shooters arent the same ol - kill everything and powerup type anymore.

I had no idea what I was getting into when I got Deathsmiles.

But once you understand that there is way more to the game than killing enemies, you'll see why most of Cave's offerings are so rewarding.

Why does it bother you if I play Cave games?

You watched me play Galuda, did you see what I was doing?

If its fun to you playing for survival, thats cool - I don't care.

Have fun with Mars Matrix man.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Dude, you're getting way too technical on the wording.

Before you storm into a thread and question why I don't play "anything but Cave"

Try doing some research.

Shooters arent the same ol - kill everything and powerup type anymore.

I had no idea what I was getting into when I got Deathsmiles.

But once you understand that there is way more to the game than killing enemies, you'll see why most of Cave's offerings are so rewarding.

Why does it bother you if I play Cave games?

You watched me play Galuda, did you see what I was doing?

If its fun to you playing for survival, thats cool - I don't care.

Have fun with Mars Matrix man.
It doesn't BOTHER me if you play Cave games - I just wonder why you wouldn't want to try other offerings in the genre.

You're wrong.
Can't exactly prove an opinion wrong, now, can you? :buttrock:

jonny5

Cham Cham's Banana
I've been known to do some crazy shit.

:lolz:

there is no such thing as a 'wrong' opinion, just uninformed ones....

without information, you dont have the basis to form a proper opinion

mmsadda

10 Year Member
You can't prove or disprove an opinion. It, by definition, is not possible.

It's okay, don't feel too bad. I'll get you some
vaseline.jpg

for your hurting
kitten-names.jpg

Last edited:

jonny5

Cham Cham's Banana
You can't prove or disprove an opinion. It, by definition, is not possible.

It's okay, don't feel too bad. I'll get you some
vaseline.jpg

for your hurting
kitten-names.jpg

too many http:// broke your images

are you guys like this when you hang out in real life?:lolz:

seriously though....you both enjoy the games for different reasons....arguing semantics and minor details is non-productive.....

worry not TonK...he's showing interest and asking questions.....eventually he will be more informed and know whats up...cant fault him for not knowing or voicing opinions based on his limited knowledge....you gotta learn somewhere, right?

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Gotcha. Somehow I thought those weren't showing up right....

Anyhow, I'm just having fun. TonK is a big enough man to not take it too seriously, I trust.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Can't exactly prove an opinion wrong, now, can you? :buttrock:

Opinions can be wrong if they correspond with facts.

In this instance, it's a personal preference, so it can't be wrong.

But saying that opinions can't be wrong is false.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
as i said;)

Yeah, but that kind of assumes that one must have played a game enough to be great at it to make an educated opinion as to whether it is great. One could just as well argue that if a game doesn't pull you in enough for you to experience its greatness, you can come to the opinion that it is not great (meaning, if it was great, it would pull you in and make you want to play more right from the start.)

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Yeah, but that kind of assumes that one must have played a game enough to be great at it to make an educated opinion as to whether it is great. One could just as well argue that if a game doesn't pull you in enough for you to experience its greatness, you can come to the opinion that it is not great (meaning, if it was great, it would pull you in and make you want to play more right from the start.)

I'm sure if Ketsui was easier, or if you spent more time with it, your wrong opinion might change. :glee:

I mean, when you get in the zone at the end of the 3rd stage - start of the 4th stage and you know you're gonna break your high score - its an amazing feeling.

Collin, none of my friends challenge me or question me the way you do - which makes me believe that you have some hidden agenda.

None of my real life friends, or people I've met on here ever do it.

I don't know why you carry the attitude you do, or why you feel the need to step on my toes - but it needs to stop.

You have some kind of personal beef with me - call my cell.

When I'm dead fucking wrong, my friends don't act the way you do.

jonny5

Cham Cham's Banana

being good at a game and knowing what makes it tick are 2 different things.....

you dont have to set world records to learn about a scoring system...and believe me, just knowing about the systems doesnt make you good....i should know:lolz:

i think with games like these, there is so much depth and replayability to them, but at a casual glance and a few credits play, you simply arent going to see that....these games require familiarity and some time with to fully appreciate what they are offering

when ketsui first came out it was not received well by fans....it went down to ibara price range practically....apparently back in like '04/05 you could get ketsui for like $350(god i wish i had been around then)...but after a few years i think people started to realize what a great game it was as they got familiar with...

now here we are in the present...it is touted as caves best by many and is one of there most sought after titles commanding $1k pricepoints for bare PCB's....

please dont take my explanations as belittling your views and opinions....just sharing mine as someone more familiar with the subject at hand

i hope you can pull something helpful from my ramblings:)

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Pretty much the only shmups I can play now are Cave ones. I like some Raizing ones too, but I just play those on MAME every now and then :)

Sorry folks, but after discovering Cave, the vast majority of other shmups just seem boring to me. In fact, some shmups I used to enjoy have now become painstakingly unplayable now (especially old school konami ones- playing those games are like torture).

Even "high profile" games like Radiant Silvergun or Blazing Star don't interest me anymore. blah. Give me DDP, DOJ, Deathsmiles, Esprade, Galuda, Ketsui etc etc anyday.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Pretty much the only shmups I can play now are Cave ones. I like some Raizing ones too, but I just play those on MAME every now and then :)

Sorry folks, but after discovering Cave, the vast majority of other shmups just seem boring to me. In fact, some shmups I used to enjoy have now become painstakingly unplayable now (especially old school konami ones- playing those games are like torture).

Even "high profile" games like Radiant Silvergun or Blazing Star don't interest me anymore. blah. Give me DDP, DOJ, Deathsmiles, Esprade, Galuda, Ketsui etc etc anyday.

Yessir.

jonny5

Cham Cham's Banana
dont get discouraged....the 'pachis take some time....

just practise chaining the first stage....you will see your scores get a lot bigger....

work from there....once you have the first stage down pretty good you will be getting enough hypers after that to get a groove going and bust out some serious chains

best advise i can offer is work on the chaining right away....if you go at this in 'survival mode' you are gonna start making bad route choices and have to unlearn down the line to improve

using hypers and stuff you will start seeing big chains soon, and that is very gratifying indeed.....

Last edited:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
dont get discouraged....the 'pachis take some time....

just practise chaining the first stage....you will see your scores get a lot bigger....

work from there....once you have the first stage down pretty good you will be getting enough hypers after that to get a groove going and bust out some serious chains

best advise i can offer is work on the chaining right away....if you go at this in 'survival mode' you are gonna start making bad route choices and have to unlearn down the line to improve

using hypers and stuff you will start seeing big chains soon, and that is very gratifying indeed.....

I can't connect from the 110 at the start of the first stage.

I need those bee maps that were included in BLEX.

I'll play some later...

Right now its all for survival, until I get a feel for the game.

Never got into the whole "enemy chaining" - so i'll see if I can get something going.

Can't really learn from the superplay since God is playing.