Tell me what games I should play thread.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Starting playing shmups with Last Hope is a sad thing. Probably the worst shmups of "this" generation. This game was like 20 years late to the party when it came out and this comment comes from an almost 40 years old lyer :P Yep, I don't agree with jonny5, Raizing games are just as great, if not better than many Cave ones. Some Seibu and Treasure are really good too but Cave is probably the best to start with. I'd say start with the first Espgaluda, you can't do wrong with that.

TWE

Zero's Secretary
Cave games are the best if you like memorizing one optimal routine and practicing it to perfection over many months/years to get a high score. Or if you like to just fire up a game and blast through for fun, just trying to get as far as possible on one credit, not caring about score. Raizing games are the best if you like a shooter with lots of randomness thrown in, making you think on your toes every time you play it (sorta like a versus fighting game), and getting harder to beat the better you play against it (due to the programmed 'rank' in the games).

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Bullet hell shmup is good and all, but unless you're addicted to Cave, it's probably best to get some variety going and decide for yourself which type you'd prefer more.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
dont open it....

and yes....if you are even mildly interested in venturing into the fine world of shmups, cave should be your first stop(and arguably your last;))....you have lots of ports across several consoles and there is always the back catalogue of a half dozen or so games playable in mame before you even have to think about throwing down on PCB's

but ya.....cave do it best....anybody who tells you otherwise is well over 40 and they are lying to you:cool:

I am quite fond of cave myself, and J5 makes a great point of accessibility-cave has fine representation on home consoles, and good emu in MAME. I gotta say tho, they *may* not be your 1st and last stop;). I compare my shump hobby to auto sport. There are folks out there that only like NASCAR. That's cool for them. I love rally, F1, dirt and road bikes, even the occasional Monster Jam. Shumps are the same for me- there is such a myriad of flavors. So many ways to play. . .from the story immersion of DownLoad2, to the niche within a niche of MMPork. @ ElCap: this genre is one of the greatest in gaming IMHO. Sell that Last Hope, and enjoy your fall down the rabbit hole:).

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Bullet hell shmup is good and all, but unless you're addicted to Cave, it's probably best to get some variety going and decide for yourself which type you'd prefer more.

This. Cave makes some FANTASTIC games. Galuda is one of the most gorgeous games I've had the pleasure of playing. That said, Cave really fills one particular niche very well, but is not the be-all-end-all of shmups by any means. That's not to say there's not variety in their games - they've changed it up by making horizontal scrollers like DeathSmiles, and made some Raizing-esque games. However, all of their games are bullet hell shmups, and that's not all there is to enjoy in the shmup world.

I have a feeling there are a lot of people around here that need to get out and play a Gradius, or revisit Pulstar or Last Resort, or try Mars Matrix or Giga Wing. Heck, Saturn had what are supposed to be excellent ports of the better STV shmups: Terra Diver and Radiant Silvergun.

I guess what I'm saying is: anyone should try a variety of things. Certainly that should include a Cave game or two, and it seems Cave is the only company really putting out anything in this genre with any regularity, so they're probably the most relevant company you can check out.
HOWEVER, one should also try something by Takumi, something by Treasure, some of the old Neo shmups, not to mention all the inexpensive great shmups on SNES - Space Megaforce and Super R-Type are great fun from my recollection.

So maybe it's just me, but I hate to see people commit to only one particular subgenre or company.

jonny5

Cham Cham's Banana
please note, i said that with a bit of humor....

there are obviously loads of shmups outside of cave....and some are quite good....

i just like the way cave does it better....to each there own and all that right....

do make sure to try out some different stuff to give some perspective....[sarcasm]at least give you an idea of how much better cave is than everything EVAR!!![/sarcasm]

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Cave makes the best shooters. Period.

You guys want to go out and try other shit, be my guest.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
So maybe it's just me, but I hate to see people commit to only one particular subgenre or company.

Why?

What does it matter what games I play or what company makes them?

I played Mars Matrix 10 years ago on the Dreamcast - it was shitty then and its shitty now.

I love Gradius.

I'm not a fan of Ibara, and all of the Raizing games play VERY similar - so count me out.

Go find me a shooter that can match ANYTHING Ketsui offers.

Its IMPOSSIBLE.

So, you go ahead and play Pulstar, and Fast Striker... have fun.

jonny5

Cham Cham's Banana
Why?

I played Mars Matrix 10 years ago on the Dreamcast - it was shitty then and its shitty now.

I love Gradius.

I'm not a fan of Ibara, and all of the Raizing games play VERY similar - so count me out.

Its IMPOSSIBLE.

agreed....im always telling people, its not that i love 'cave' as a company per se...i love the games they make....

if another company comes along and starts making games like that, im gonna be all over that shit too....

its not so much a matter of limiting oneself to a specific companies offerings or 'sub-genre's'...its a matter of investing your time in the games you enjoy most

there are older shmups i enjoy, but more often than not i would opt to play any cave game over them....not because they are cave games, but because i draw more enjoyment from playing them

if your play time is limited, you have to play only those games that you really enjoy....

thats not to say older non-cave games arent great and enjoyable to play....just that i dont have time to play them when there is cave stuff on hand

again...this is all subjective....it all comes down to what you like....if you enjoy playing a game, im not gonna say anything negative about that....and if i do, its in jest....

Last edited:

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
isnt there a whole forum or two dedicated to your cave circle jerks?

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Mike, can you get into ANY shmups that aren't Cave?

TonK

Least Valuable Player
agreed....im always telling people, its not that i love 'cave' as a company per se...i love the games they make....

if another company comes along and starts making games like that, im gonna be all over that shit too....

its not so much a matter of limiting oneself to a specific companies offerings or 'sub-genre's'...its a matter of investing your time in the games you enjoy most

there are older shmups i enjoy, but more often than not i would opt to play any cave game over them....not because they are cave games, but because i draw more enjoyment from playing them

if your play time is limited, you have to play only those games that you really enjoy....

thats not to say older non-cave games arent great and enjoyable to play....just that i dont have time to play them when there is cave stuff on hand

again...this is all subjective....it all comes down to what you like....if you enjoy playing a game, im not gonna say anything negative about that....and if i do, its in jest....

Pretty much every other shooter is emulated - so I can play them all before I buy.

I can't get into the whole medal chaining - thats not fun to me.

But Yagawa made chaining fun in MMP... And if Raizing had released that game, I'd still own it.

If any company besides Cave made Ketsui, I'd own it.

If Konami made Deathsmiles - I'd own it.

I don't collect every poster and bit of paper that Cave prints.

The only Cave good I want is that Ketsui glass cube.

I'm not a Cave fanboy - I love the games I own.

I don't like - Dangun, Ibara, ESPrade, Mushihimesama or Uo Poko :tickled:

When I see a non-Cave game that looks fun, I'll get it - until then - 5 or die.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Mike, can you get into ANY shmups that aren't Cave?

I really like Gradius, the whole series.

And a lot of the older 8-bit and 16-bit stuff.

Truth be told - the scoring systems on the games I own are fantastic - and its very rewarding.

I mean, just cause I don't like the games you own shouldnt bother you.

You don't like Ketsui - did I sit there and question you about it after you played my board?

Why do you care?

Why does anyone care?

TonK

Least Valuable Player
me too:D

:eek: your missing out on that one buddy....superb game....mushihimetama is awesome too...similar gameplay but with a comboing system and bosses....

I have the ROM - and Uo Poko isn't super fun.

Rather play Puzzle Bobble.

Wish there were more vids of Tama, as I have an opportunity to buy one.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
The puzzle games are meh, seriously.

Medal chaining is far more fun than enemy chaining, now thats boring. Same ol' route through the level etc. I love the donpachi series but .. but yawn.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Why?

I love Gradius.

Its IMPOSSIBLE.

:rolleyes:

TonK

Least Valuable Player

Medal chaining is far more fun than enemy chaining, now thats boring. Same ol' route through the level etc. I love the donpachi series but .. but yawn.

I'll tell you what - even though I had a hell of a time doing it - DonPachi chaining was fun.

I'll admit - i like Bakraid.

I will be getting that in the future - its a pretty good game.

Lots of people tell me that Batrider has a lot of depth to it - and that it really is fun.

If I could find a decently priced board, I'd give it a shot - playing on an emu vs. cab is a big difference.

I don't like Pulstar.

jonny5

Cham Cham's Banana

but you dont play puzzle games....beleieve me TonK.....if you enjoy a good bubble puzzle game, its a must have!!!

the 2 player modes are bad ass too

heres a few vids i found on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1qtMJKc3hk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXXGuS1ZDkQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luhBossiOM4&feature=related

in the 3rd one you can see a boss battle....

its a brilliant game and introduces some interesting ideas to a fairly straight forward genre....

ive been trying to get one for a while but it keeps coming up when im broke....thank god brendz has it

if you can score it for under/around $200 get it.....and hold it till i can buy it off you if ya dont like it;)

Last edited:

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
I'll tell you what - even though I had a hell of a time doing it - DonPachi chaining was fun.

I'll admit - i like Bakraid.

I will be getting that in the future - its a pretty good game.

Lots of people tell me that Batrider has a lot of depth to it - and that it really is fun.

If I could find a decently priced board, I'd give it a shot - playing on an emu vs. cab is a big difference.

I don't like Pulstar.

I liked Pulstar more when it was called R-Type :D
Do you like any classics like Tatsujin/Tatsujin-Oh? I find those 2 quite rewarding. The 2nd one takes more skill than memory.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I liked Pulstar more when it was called R-Type :D
Do you like any classics like Tatsujin/Tatsujin-Oh? I find those 2 quite rewarding. The 2nd one takes more skill than memory.

I'm more into the Gradius, Lifeforce classics.

I LOVE Fantasy Zone - LOVE IT.

I still have my original Master System copy I got back in the day.

Now for other shooters.

giga wing 2 is GREAT.

I like Ikaruga, Triggerheart, Borderdown and a few others.

But I don't "get into" those games like i do with what I own now.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I've never liked the neo shooters, only one I can have any fun with is aero fighters 2 and thats just for fucking about really.