Neo-geo.com Official WTF NEO Auction Thread

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
They should go back to making it near impossible to retract a bid.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
How the hell did this US FFS sell for $637? It looks like 3 different bidders were still fighting at over $400. The seller appears to have been legit too...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SNK-AES-Ne...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I was one of the bidders. Basically, that thing looks mint as can be. Mint, english, old style AES carts of desirable games are becoming insanely rare. Old style case being the real key there, they do not hold up well and have a flaw in their design that often causes significant damage to the top of the insert.

peterr928

Another Striker,
20 Year Member
I was one of the bidders. Basically, that thing looks mint as can be. Mint, english, old style AES carts of desirable games are becoming insanely rare. Old style case being the real key there, they do not hold up well and have a flaw in their design that often causes significant damage to the top of the insert.

That's what I was thinking but it's interesting to see the massive premium a mint example brings.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
I naively thought I'd be able to snag the game for about $300. Haha. I did not win the auction btw.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Basically, that thing looks mint as can be.

How can you tell that from only two shots showing the front and the open box? The back could be water damaged, spine could be sun faded, the cart label could be peeled off on top and the box cracked inside.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
How can you tell that from only two shots showing the front and the open box? The back could be water damaged, spine could be sun faded, the cart label could be peeled off on top and the box cracked inside.

If that was the case I'd return the item as it was listed with condition "like new". Could always ask the seller for more pics, but in general it seems several people saw the possibility of a mint FFS and so took the chance on it, which I think is pretty reasonable.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
If that was the case I'd return the item as it was listed with condition "like new". Could always ask the seller for more pics, but in general it seems several people saw the possibility of a mint FFS and so took the chance on it, which I think is pretty reasonable.

That's beyond the point. My question was, how can you tell the condition of an NGH from two photos showing only the front and the open box. The answer is: you can't. The bidders, you among them, followed an impression, an impression of a mint cart. Apparently, that's all it takes and it's all there is to say about this auction.

defalt

Cheng's Errand Boy
Isn't Fatal Fury Special one of the only games that can be bought sealed in bulk for, like 80$ a piece ? :eek_2:

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I swear FFS was 120-150 only 2 years ago? What the hell happened while I was away?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It still is, but when a few idiots get into a bidding war...

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
FFS is a $20-$50 game if you get the JPN version. Why people even bother with overpriced Engrish versions is way beyond my comprehension.

Actually let's call it for what it is, your paying for the insert. The ROMs are the same.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
That FFS price is crazy. I have a mint (by my estimation) US copy I bought here a little over a year ago and I’d have to dig up the sales thread but I’m pretty sure I paid <$100. Edit: Just checked and it was $90 shipped. It’s your money but you should be able to find a nice copy for much much much cheaper than that auction.

Last edited:

NexusX

Astra Superstar
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/233203437705

Normally a Bootleg Puzzle Bobble doesn't make me bat an eyelash.... But this board looks really weird. It has obvious Eproms on it... But it also looks as if it has legitimate Fatal Fury 3 mask ROM chips with the correct NHG number and markings on them on the CHA board. And the cart still is shown as playing Puzzle Bobble. What kind of frenkenboard is this???

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Actual bootleg PCBs weren't common back in the day, they'd take some worthless game and change roms and jumpers. If a socket was unused in the new game they didn't bother to remove the old chips.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/233203437705

Normally a Bootleg Puzzle Bobble doesn't make me bat an eyelash.... But this board looks really weird. It has obvious Eproms on it... But it also looks as if it has legitimate Fatal Fury 3 mask ROM chips with the correct NHG number and markings on them on the CHA board. And the cart still is shown as playing Puzzle Bobble. What kind of frenkenboard is this???

They converted a Fatal Fury 3 into a puzzle bobble. Some of the mask roms where left in place since those spaces would otherwise be unpopulated. They basically didnt want to waste the time to remove them.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
They basically didnt want to waste the time to remove them.

Laziness is the true mother of invention I suppose. I have seen some of very stange "repairs" on some carts. But knowing a bootlegger wanted to spend even less time on something does not surprise me.