Magical Drop 3: How do you get more points without fighting Black Periot?

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
Some time ago I made a savestate on default difficulty at BP cutscene to play with sometimes. Thought the few wins I got had something to do with Death attack pattern but I recorded one and it actually just chokes on ice filled screens. I noticed the ice didn't come unless I hit excess '8 line' chains at the start but when it does it's an easy win. Might just be coincidence though.

2mflyc2.png
6onbbn.png

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
this thread should get more posts now. I wish I could tag posters in a post so that they are alerted to the need for them to chime in.

tagging bobak, manually.

aria

Former Moderator
The key to high scores is speed. My problem is I didn't start playing for score until my access to MD3 was reduced to maybe an evening every several months when I'm in LA. A good player can regularly score 300k without needing to worry about BP. I know SamuraiShodownSensei has some good scores. I think my highest ever was just shy of 600k.

Any points I score against BP are merely a bonus.

Side notes:

When I play for score, I play at default difficulty (level 4) on a candy cab.

Anyone who uses roms isn't playing the true game IMO.

Twin Galaxies is full of crap, I don't respect any of their new records after I opened a friend's copy and saw all the BS regarding new games.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Twin Galaxies is full of crap, I don't respect any of their new records after I opened a friend's copy and saw all the BS regarding new games.

I agree about the twin Galaxies scores. If there is a referee then they should record that shit! And who's to say that the referee is legit? They don't even post the name of the referee in the high score page? There needs to be a website where making a video is mandatory, and it is posted along with the high score on the high score page so people can see how they got that score. Cause with the Magical Drop III score it is kinds BS how you can get a score like that. A "REAL" score shoud be obtained without exploiting the game!

But we still do have the youtube video I posted earlier. That guy crushed the high score on Twin Galaxies. So it can be done.

A "REAL" score shoud be obtained without exploiting the game!

But we still do have the youtube video I posted earlier. That guy crushed the high score on Twin Galaxies. So it can be done.

What exploits are you talking about?

I watched that video you posted a while back and it really upped my game. In a short time I went from being rusty at Magical Drop to setting the n-g.com hi-scores for Magical Drop 2 + 3. I usually play vs. mode and just try to win, but seeing that big combos are worth so much more than the fast clear bonus changed my scoring strategy. I broke the old magical journey high score on my first combo of that game! No memorization necessary...just recognize how to maximize your chains and how to quickly make 3 neighboring, matching pieces into a chain.

Twin Galaxies should require that similar controls to the arcade release be used to set any record for a game that was originally in the arcade. Playing MD with a keyboard would likely up anyone's movement speed and increase their score. For the challenge mode high score, I was just about to bust out a giant combo on hermit, was off by one space and killed myself. On a keyboard, I'd probably have scored 200K+ on that combo and gotten to face more opponents instead of losing...

I'll give beating first match Pierrot a try, but I don't expect any miracles to happen...

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
What exploits are you talking about?

I watched that video you posted a while back and it really upped my game. In a short time I went from being rusty at Magical Drop to setting the n-g.com hi-scores for Magical Drop 2 + 3. I usually play vs. mode and just try to win, but seeing that big combos are worth so much more than the fast clear bonus changed my scoring strategy. I broke the old magical journey high score on my first combo of that game! No memorization necessary...just recognize how to maximize your chains and how to quickly make 3 neighboring, matching pieces into a chain.

Twin Galaxies should require that similar controls to the arcade release be used to set any record for a game that was originally in the arcade. Playing MD with a keyboard would likely up anyone's movement speed and increase their score. For the challenge mode high score, I was just about to bust out a giant combo on hermit, was off by one space and killed myself. On a keyboard, I'd probably have scored 200K+ on that combo and gotten to face more opponents instead of losing...

I'll give beating first match Pierrot a try, but I don't expect any miracles to happen...

I just think dropping the drops to the bottom of the screen is kind of a cheap way to get a high score. There should be 2 high scores. One for people who drop the drops to the bottom of the screen and chain, and one without using the button to drop them for chains. As for black periot, I have said it before. He is IMPOSSIBLE to beat! I don't mean he's hard and you can practice and do better and eventually win.

HE IS IMPOSSIBLE TO BEAT NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO! I don't think people believe me when I say that.

Good luck with your attempt though. If you can make a video from stage 1 to stage 10 or whataver it is and beat Perriot on the 1st try I would be pretty amazed. I really think he is impossible.

I just think dropping the drops to the bottom of the screen is kind of a cheap way to get a high score. There should be 2 high scores. One for people who drop the drops to the bottom of the screen and chain, and one without using the button to drop them for chains. As for black periot, I have said it before. He is IMPOSSIBLE to beat! I don't mean he's hard and you can practice and do better and eventually win.

HE IS IMPOSSIBLE TO BEAT NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO! I don't think people believe me when I say that.

Good luck with your attempt though. If you can make a video from stage 1 to stage 10 or whataver it is and beat Perriot on the 1st try I would be pretty amazed. I really think he is impossible.

If you don't use the button, you can do the same thing by just sitting and waiting for your opponent's attack to hit the bottom of the screen...it's how the game is played for score. I don't remember my old scores from when I just tried to get the fast finish, but they were in the ballpark what ATL was quoting for vs mode. I don't necessarily agree with it, but its not a glitch or anything. Magical Drop 2 only lets you pull down rows until you have about 5 rows. After that you can't pull it down further, but you can wait for it to advance.

As for him being impossible to beat, I think he might be...still, you can't prove that something is impossible outside of math or logic, but you can easily prove something is possible by doing it. My side-to-side movement isn't on the level of the world record holders, so yeah, I'm expecting to get trounced :).

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
If you don't use the button, you can do the same thing by just sitting and waiting for your opponent's attack to hit the bottom of the screen...it's how the game is played for score. I don't remember my old scores from when I just tried to get the fast finish, but they were in the ballpark what ATL was quoting for vs mode. I don't necessarily agree with it, but its not a glitch or anything. Magical Drop 2 only lets you pull down rows until you have about 5 rows. After that you can't pull it down further, but you can wait for it to advance.

As for him being impossible to beat, I think he might be...still, you can't prove that something is impossible outside of math or logic, but you can easily prove something is possible by doing it. My side-to-side movement isn't on the level of the world record holders, so yeah, I'm expecting to get trounced :).

He teleports, and clears out the whole screen by chaining everytime. Even if you can chain the whole screen everytime you still can't teleport and do it as fast. I think the only way that might work is by pulling down all the drops at the beginning of the match and chaining all of them, starting with the drops on the left and right sides. Then after clearing repeating the process. If you start with the same amount of drops as him them he always is going to have the advantage. But if you can get higher chains than him, maybe you would have a chance.

travisjo

n00b
Not impossible, just really hard

FWIW I don't think Black Periot is impossible. I've seen the game beaten on a quarter (not by me). That being said I have no proof to back it up.

On a separate note I put up my best score ever yesterday, 768008. I suck at big combos so it was just really lucky puzzles, speed, and small combos. The score was put up on an MVS machine in my garage.

Pic: http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0099009/photos/travis_johnson/5616839455/

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I'm pretty sure black perriot is impossible, on the 1st attempt anyway. And until proven otherwise I stand behind my theory. I have beat the game many times myself on one credit. The trick is to get a mediocre score, and not go for a huge score, to avoid fighting black perriot. I actually 1CC'd the game many times before I even knew black perriot existed.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I agree with greedo on this one. As much as I've played him and seen others, I think he is impossible.

Dakki

n00b
The closest chance you have to beating BP on a 1CC is by using Star or Chariot and ending your chain when he clears his screen.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
The closest chance you have to beating BP on a 1CC is by using Star or Chariot and ending your chain when he clears his screen.

I'll have to give it a try with them. I tend to use only Justice and Death. No particular reason, just tend to pick those 2 most.

travisjo

n00b
Black Periot is beatable, I've seen it too. I have nothing to back that up.

Have you all noticed that the game will, once in a blue moon, give a special game where the blocks on the AI characters screen get dropped down very far at the beginning of the match? This always happens 3 times in a row to me and it has happened multiple times. There doesn't seem to be any frequency to it expect for random. I haven't gotten a supergame (which is what I call it when this happens) in a while.

My high scores are in the 800k range from super games. My brother has a 968k. 1 million is possible if you're very quick. The highest time bonus is 100k, which I've gotten on normal games. I play with super strength, which I don't consider to be cheating for someone else might. I consider the CCC characters kind of cheating but that's just me.

Love Magical Drop 3.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
FWIW I don't think Black Periot is impossible. I've seen the game beaten on a quarter (not by me). That being said I have no proof to back it up.

On a separate note I put up my best score ever yesterday, 768008. I suck at big combos so it was just really lucky puzzles, speed, and small combos. The score was put up on an MVS machine in my garage.

Pic: http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0099009/photos/travis_johnson/5616839455/

Wow, late to this thread, but anyway: When playing Vs, large combos can actually hurt you. It allows the opponent to attack more, as you're spending more time building up a dump chain. A good player will be maintaining their side, so a land-slide, and then a pause while you build up the next large chain, is easy to clear. Plus they'll beat you on points for their handy work. The best strategy is continuous small chains that constantly dump on your opponent. This is particularly good against the computer, as they simply cannot cope if you dump two and three chains on them over and over.

travisjo

n00b
The best strategy is continuous small chains that constantly dump on your opponent. This is particularly good against the computer, as they simply cannot cope if you dump two and three chains on them over and over.

This is the strategy I use against the computer, especially in the beginning levels. You can't get high time scores unless you use it. In the later levels (8, 9, 10) it's less effective because the CPU is much faster and can keep up. In those levels I use any size chain I can get going and just go for speed. If I drop something higher than a 2 chain I'll immediately try and drop a 2 chain since it's the biggest number of rows for the least amount of work. A 3-2-2 is usually enough to get the beat the beginning characters with high time scores. The trick is getting the timing just perfect so the next combo starts immediately after the previous one.

Gemant

Member,
My high scores are in the 800k range from super games. My brother has a 968k. 1 million is possible if you're very quick. The highest time bonus is 100k, which I've gotten on normal games. I play with super strength, which I don't consider to be cheating for someone else might. I consider the CCC characters kind of cheating but that's just me.

100.000 pts (time bonus) is theory only. In real game is possible obtain max 90.250. With time bonus is impossible made good score in this game. Top players have usually 5 or 6 millions and this is possible with multi-reactions only.

travisjo

n00b
100.000 pts (time bonus) is theory only. In real game is possible obtain max 90.250. With time bonus is impossible made good score in this game. Top players have usually 5 or 6 millions and this is possible with multi-reactions only.

100,000 time bonus is very possible, I've gotten it many times even in normal games.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
100,000 point time bonus a theory?

Nope. Been there...done that on a Level 4 game setting.