New to this forum & new to cab owner

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
What's up everyone. I just got my Neo Geo arcade cab. Its a bit beat up & probably paid more then i should have but oh well...

DSC_0339.jpg

DSC_0338.jpg

Im new to Neo Geo but i dont think this is an orginal Neo-geo cab. Anybody got an idea what cabinet this is?

Im planning to do some restoring, so im asking you guys here as you probably gone through this before.

1) What paint do you recommend to paint the side, also what's the name color of the red i should get.

2) Best place to buy arcade panel overlays. I've seen some online but was wondering which you guys recommend.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Welcome to the board.

As for your questions....

(1) I suggest an oil based paint. It's a bit of a bitch to work with but the end result is much better than latex IMO. The finish is smooth with no streaks. Make sure to prime first. I can't remember the brand I used. I bought it from Home Depot. I think it was Behr and the colour I used is crimson red. I was very happy with it.

(2) I bought my CP overlay from arcadeoverlays.com. A little pricey but the quality is really good. Side art can be purchased from eccs19 on this site. He has a thread in the selling section.

Hope that helps a bit.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
i want to say that looks like an early 80s atari cabinet, but the closest thing i can find is asteroids delux, and its not the same.

check the control panel and see if the holes for the old controls are still there, that would be a big clue.

also grats on your first cab. everyone over pays for the first one.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
I definitely would put a 20-25" monitor in there. I also recommend cutting the boards on the sides from the controller panel to the top of the screen. It gives you more arm room and will look a little more like a regular red cab. The easy part will be painting the sides red. What 1 slot MVS PCB do you have in there?

I may have to make a converted cab if I want an MVS setup. There aren't any around for sale here. All I can find is old beat up cabs, Street Fighter 2 CE cabs with little monitors and a wonky looking Soul Caliber 2 cab. I guess I am just gonna have to do a project if want anything close to a red.

aria

Former Moderator
Welcome.

That's a clean looking cab. With those white sides you won't have to feel guilty about putting one side against a wall or another cab. I feel guilty has hell with my Tron cab because the side art is so sexy.

Congratulations.

Ricter1439

n00b
Welcome to the proud MVS owners club. I also recently got my hands on a 2-slot MVS conversion for $350 on craigslist. It was in decent condition. the guy I bought it from never figured out how to switch it to free play so he always kept about 5 bucks worth of quarters close at hand. It was a pain in the A** getting it up the stairs of my apartment. lol Well over the past 2 weeks I figured out how to switch it to free play, adjusted the monitor, general cleaning, replaced the plexiglass, buttons, and joysticks, I also repainted it, repaired the marquee and won an eBay bid for 5 orginal mini marquees. Now I just need to find two orginal or repo side cab art and I will be golden.

James

tw3nz0r

n00b
Not bad for a conversion cab, considering any cab from the 80's is more cramp in the control panel, especially since games were mostly 1 player. Looks great from the front, just paint the sides and you're good to go.
tacobellgoodtogo.jpg

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Ok so ive been having fun playing my neo cab but got tired of standing & decided to order a candy cab. I ended going with the Atomiswave...

So i guess i really didn't do enough research at all until it was already too late. I thought that all candy cabs had pretty much the same control panel. So now i've been trying to find a 2 player control panel w/ 6 buttons, so once my candy cab arrives i can do some 2 player action.

So anyone know where i can actually buy a 2 player control panel for Atomiswave, it can be a repro it doesn't matter to me. The cheaper the better. Also i think an Egret III is the same panel, cant seem to find any sellers for this either.