Some advice on getting a Hyper plz

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
oh hello,

so I've been wanting a hyper set-up for quite some time, but have never gotten around to it. I've never played any of the games released for it, so I am just honestly not sure if it is worth the investment of getting one since I have to get a supergun as well just to play it...and I really don't foresee myself buying any other pcbs in the near future. I used to have an atomiswave and have no desire to get another, and really don't see myself getting too deep into the pcb scene.

Anyway, back on subject, as far as the fighting games go, there are 4, right? FF, Buriki, and the 2 SS games. To be honest, the first FF and SS don't look so good. Buriki looks interesting enough that I'd invest a good amount time with, and SS2 looks really good.

Is my assessment pretty accurate/fair? If so, should I take the plunge, or am I going to be spending a considerable amount of cash for some pretty ho-hum titles? If so, how much am I looking to spend, including a supergun?

Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
Well, I like the Hyper a lot, and keep mine in a dedicated candy cab. The two SS games have a different feel from each other. I wouldn't say 2 is better necessarily. Though it does look better and Asura is pretty badass, I prefer the way 1 handles. FF is good and Buriki One is very interesting and fun. All four games are decent, but I don't think they'd really blow anyone away.

If you already had a cab/super gun I'd say no question pick up a Hyper. After all, the games are decent and you can pick one up with all 4 games for a steal. If you said you were planning on picking up other boards too then there would be no question.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
So you don't have any Neo or JAMMA cabinets whatsoever?

If you have a cab, I'd say the Hyper64 is totally worth it; there's a guy in the UK that sells the Revision 2 mobo (can play in a Neo or Jamma cabinet) with 3 games for $150 shipped to the U.S. - that's a hell of a deal if you ask me.

I keep mine in my original Neo cabinet; I've thought about putting a 2- or 4-slot in there, but I'd rather have a Hyper cabinet than a second Neo cabinet.

BTW, as for your assessment of the games - Buriki One is cool but difficult to play and will be hard to find people to play it with you. Saumrai Shodown: Warriors Rage is really solid, but nothing special - it's a very middle-of-the-road Samurai Shodown game, but very much worth playing if you like the series. Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition is actually one of my favorite FF titles, and certainly my favorite Hyper64 game - That one alone makes it worth having the system in my mind.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
thanks for the replies guys. I'll have to check out some more vids of FF and SS.

At mmsadda, yeah, no cabs or anything...my experience w/ the neo has been strictly w/ homecarts and a handful of mvs games w/ a super converter. And the AW I had was consolized...

I actually saw the ebay seller from UK as well today. Looks like he has a few packages left....and that does seem like a pretty good deal. His games are FF, Buriki, and SS 1....how much should I expect to pay for SS2?

Not to sound picky or anything, but I wish the games had the kit boxes at least. Would have liked to display them w/ my homecarts, but I guess I can just use some usps boxes and a sharpie :) I would like to have them, but I'm not gonna drop a ton of extra cash on kits.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
The hyper is very large and fairly heavy, so it's not cheap to ship. The games are pretty bulky as well. Might want to see if you can find one in the US.

Clevman

n00b
I know nothing at all about the Hyper 64. So its just the four games that were made for it, or were those just the fighting games? Someone was selling one on craiglist around here (Michigan) for like $300 and I considered it...but I don't even know wtf games are for it. And I remember FF Wild Ambition was pretty terrible back on the playstation...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I know nothing at all about the Hyper 64. So its just the four games that were made for it, or were those just the fighting games? Someone was selling one on craiglist around here (Michigan) for like $300 and I considered it...but I don't even know wtf games are for it. And I remember FF Wild Ambition was pretty terrible back on the playstation...

I made a Wiki dammit:

http://www.neo-geo.com/wiki/index.php?title=Neo_Geo_Hyper_64

tomwaits

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
I really like Buriki One. It's based on the early days of MMA tournaments and has a similar concept. Each fighter is pigeon-holed as a specific discipline with a corresponding style of moves. Sumo vs Boxing, Wrestler vs Karate, etc. Gameplay is much more fluid than the early UFC games. Unique controls and combos take some practice but it's definitely my favorite Hyper 64 game and it really deserved a port or sequel.

I have 3 of the 4 fighting games... no Sam Sho 64. Is SS64 worth buying or would it be a disappointing step backwards from SS:WR?

Also, I'm using a Rev.1 Hyper 64 with a Vogatek supergun. Ghetto/test-bench looking setup but everything was cheap and it plays fine. I'm using the dedicated stereo harness out to a couple old car stereo speakers, but from the wiki info it looks like you can easily jumper the Rev.1 mobo to JAMMA mono and ditch the dedicated speaker wiring.

Last edited:

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
You can try SS64 on MAME to see how it plays. I would say SS64 has more free-roaming / free-comboing feel, and I think all characters have some moves that were dropped in SSAZ (like part of SS3 moves was dropped in SS4). SS64 also has a nostalgy factor with classic arenas redone in 3D. The bad points are: less difference between shura/rasetsu modes, and shared supers (like both Haohmaru's share same super). Overall its fun to play, you can see a highlevel match here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgJgAfrS5rE (dont pay attention to glitched background, I think its because their arcade got some problem)