South Africa World Cup and violence

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
It is said that ticket sales are not as brisk as they ought to be because some people seem to be worried about the high crime rate in ZA.

Would you go there if someone gave you some tickets (including flight tickets) for free?

I'm not sure I would...

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
It is said that ticket sales are not as brisk as they ought to be because some people seem to be worried about the high crime rate in ZA.

Would you go there if someone gave you some tickets (including flight tickets) for free?

I'm not sure I would...

Hell yeah.

They may have guns, but the English can improvise - usually with plastic furniture.

bcfczulu

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Hell yeah.

They may have guns, but the English can improvise - usually with plastic furniture.

and pint glasses/bottles.

oh and how could i forget the trusty stanley.

on topic i would go but id be a bit weary till id had a few pints.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Definitley, If its free, its me.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I would not go during the WC, but I would go at other times. I know it sounds counter intuitive, that there would be more security there for the WC and all, but think of the kind of people that event will bring in. There's going to be a lot of scary folk coming to the games from their villages who don't normally frequent games. People you probably don't want to mess with.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
I'd imagine theres bound to be some bits of trouble during the world cup, but hopefully nothing major like mass riots or shootings.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'd imagine theres bound to be some bits of trouble during the world cup, but hopefully nothing major like mass riots or shootings.

Don't forget the tragedy of the 'Frican Cup of Nations, where the Togo bus got attacked and people were killed.

TIA.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Yeah.... some crazy stuff goes on in Africa :oh_no:, Fingers crossed the security is tight and we have a world cup with headlines for all the right reasons :)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Hell yeah.

Heh, yeah, we had that in Berlin. They're quite good at that I must say! :D

I would not go during the WC, but I would go at other times. I know it sounds counter intuitive, that there would be more security there for the WC and all, but think of the kind of people that event will bring in. There's going to be a lot of scary folk coming to the games from their villages who don't normally frequent games. People you probably don't want to mess with.

That's my point as well, the event will attract lots of weirdos left and right, that's why the situation may become even more stormy than usual.

While Blatter and his lackeys met for the team drawings, former Austrian pro-player Peter Burgstaller got killed on a reputedly tightly secured golf course. Later on Oliver Bierhoff got mugged right in the middle of a high-class hotel... and the list goes on. If they manage to rob and kill people within so-called secure places, what are they going to do with normal fans on the streets?

Ah well, let's see how this turns out. I really hope I'm wrong with my prediction that giving the WC to ZA was a bad idea.

bcfczulu

Over Top Auto Mechanic
i agree,its pathetic they can give the wc to a seriously unstable country like this but never want to give it to england for fear of organised footie violence.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Well you've alot less chance of getting shot to bits in britain thats for sure zulu, a world cup here would be cool :D

bcfczulu

Over Top Auto Mechanic
lol,the police would have something to worry about if england and scotland met on home turf.:loco:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
i agree,its pathetic they can give the wc to a seriously unstable country like this but never want to give it to england for fear of organised footie violence.

It's because all the powers of Fifa HATE England. Blatter, Platini, Pele, they hate the Premier League.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
lol,the police would have something to worry about if england and scotland met on home turf.:loco:

We met in the play offs for the 2000 world cup though and it didnt turn into a bloodbath... as far as i can recall :D

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Well, England will get the Olympic Games 2012.

Sooo much better than a World Cup, eh. :p:D

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Well, England will get the Olympic Games 2012.

Sooo much better than a World Cup, eh. :p:D

Not quite the same lol, not that it matters to me. Up in Scotland we get fuck all sporting events anyway, tell a lie we did host the 1986 commonwealth games wow :loco: