NeoBiosMasta: Introduction and Information (photo heavy) ORDERS OPEN

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
Nice, looks like I can't really mess up if it really is that simple to install. I'll post my experience when the proto board arrives.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Great job there. Though my Unibios is on a home system.

Clessy

Banned
My question is wtf do I do with it?

I mean ok I install it but I own a CDZ. Is the actual bios programed yet?

Also wtf do these new hacked bios allow for anyways? MVS on cd and thats it right?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I know a lot of you have been watching the work that smkdan is doing in the Tech section on the NeoCD debug bios, this product is a result of that.

I mean ok I install it but I own a CDZ. Is the actual bios programed yet?

Also wtf do these new hacked bios allow for anyways? MVS on cd and thats it right?

Seriously, it was the first line in the thread.

Clessy

Banned
Seriously, it was the first line in the thread.
Maybe im seriously dense. But it adds debug? Whoop de fucking do. Wtf is it actually providing that average person? What can I do with it?

I mean I've watched that thread and still dont understand what its perpose serves.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Excellent work! NTM

Clessy, I can see you're still not only annoying as hell but ignorant as fuck. Too bad you're still around, I was hoping you'd be gone by now.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Maybe im seriously dense. But it adds debug? Whoop de fucking do. Wtf is it actually providing that average person? What can I do with it?

I mean I've watched that thread and still dont understand what its perpose serves.

Don't you have a unibios?

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Wow, well done NTM you all do great work and this board sure takes out alot of hassle :D

Clessy

Banned
Don't you have a unibios?
No I dont, I have a cd system.

So this allows unibios on a cd?

Or was SNKDANS bios a different bios all together?

Excellent work! NTM

Clessy, I can see you're still not only annoying as hell but ignorant as fuck. Too bad you're still around, I was hoping you'd be gone by now.

Got no clue who you are and personally dont give a fuck. However you can go fuck yourself. Thanks

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just like the unibios it is a debug bios. Of course the UB is very polished, hopefully down the line the NGCD debug will be, too.

TheBakachan

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Holy hell, that's awesome! :buttrock:

Not knowing how the BIOS is interfaced with the processor, I never would have thought of something like that! Though, yesterday I was thinking of etching a set of boards to extend the BIOS socket to outside my 4-slot with a ribbon cable, making it easier to switch chips. Does adding the ribbon cable in there cause any timing issues? (I would think not, but when I floated my idea someone had suggested that as a problem.)

That is such a great hardware hack. :) I'm guessing you have a big PLCC socket on the underside and that's what interfaces the processor? Can't say I've ever seen one used like that, way to think outside the box! :D

Man, I'd say put me down for a couple, but my NEO-related electronics projects have me completely tapped out. :(

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
@Bakachan: 7 inches of ribbon cable caused problems apparently. Replacing the chip without seperating the boards sounds nice, but I'd do it so rarely it wouldn't bother me unless I was doing a huge amount of testing on it.

@above posts: The CD BIOS will eventually look something like the Unibios in feature set. It's only a bit over a month old, but now there is:
-an actual decent hardware test, since the system is never tested normally and if one starts randomly resetting or not turning on at all, many things could cause it
-debug dips, not a big deal they don't work in many games by the looks
-region switching with no physical switch
-MVS mode for infinite credits and MVS behaviour where applicable
-setting soft DIPs which can be saved/loaded automatically when you start your game
Will eventually have:
-cheat engine, which is actually easy to implement and can be more flexible than on cart systems. I just want the bugs from having to use emulators before fixed first.
-whatever else, I don't know

@guy who mentioned Crossed Swords 2 convert: I'm doing this eventually, I've been interested in the idea of doing a full conversion for a while. But after seeing the Ironclad bullshit on ebay and everywhere else, I devided I'll never upload the romset. Just hope that SNK puts out another MVS version on the VC :)

Last edited:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
7 inches of ribbon cable caused problems apparently. Replacing the chip without seperating the boards sounds nice

Thats exactly the problem. Once I get the max length worked out I'll update accordingly. But the NBM for CD is 100% ready for a IDE cable to be used to relocate the bios elsewhere. The last photo in my first post shows the work in progress. This weekend I'll probably hit up some local shops and see if I can find several sizes of IDE cables. Shortest one I had laying around was 7". I got rid of all my spares years ago.... and I never throw anything away...

Anyway, I should have the online shop ready by the end of the weekend.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
However ingenious this idea may be, I have to cast some doubts on the reliability of the connection between the CPU and the PLCC socket upside down.

I've just tried myself to push a 68-pin PLCC socket I had lying around on the top of the MVS bios and it doesn't work well at all. The bios doesn't snap in securely as it does when inserted the correct way. In fact if the board is flipped over the socket falls off. You can get the pins to make contact but it's really dodgy. If the socket on these adapters is like the one I tried I would never want one. To the best of my knowledge these PLCC sockets are all the same so I wonder if the sockets used for these adapters are different or have the same issue.

i have a problem real bout 1 and metal slug1 are clean but the sound are distorsion how i can fix this problem

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
However ingenious this idea may be, I have to cast some doubts on the reliability of the connection between the CPU and the PLCC socket upside down.

I've just tried myself to push a 68-pin PLCC socket I had lying around on the top of the MVS bios and it doesn't work well at all. The bios doesn't snap in securely as it does when inserted the correct way. In fact if the board is flipped over the socket falls off. You can get the pins to make contact but it's really dodgy. If the socket on these adapters is like the one I tried I would never want one. To the best of my knowledge these PLCC sockets are all the same so I wonder if the sockets used for these adapters are different or have the same issue.

I can guarantee that these fit extremely secure and takes quite a bit of force to remove. The PLCC socket is modified slightly, the spacers at the bottom of the socket are clipped and the rim is shaved down a bit. But yes, a PLCC socket straight out of the box is not going to work properly.

Those who are in the Amiga scene know there there are a lot of upgrades that have utilized an modified inverted PLCC socket. I have several on my A1200 that have been running for years and years and in a much hotter environment that any NeoCD or MVS could produce.

Again, these fit very securely.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
i have a problem real bout 1 and metal slug1 are clean but the sound are distorsion how i can fix this problem

Dude... are you going to post this in EVERY tech thread?
Spamming all the threads is not going to get you much help.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
To the best of my knowledge these PLCC sockets are all the same so I wonder if the sockets used for these adapters are different or have the same issue.

I also wanted to add, I have gone through about 5 different designs and brands of PLCC sockets. One design stood out from the rest and has a much stronger grip than the common designs that are out there. And that's the one I chose to use.

Trust me, I wouldn't try to sell a product that would just fall off. Countless hours of testing, re-testing, and re-re-testing.

hey firs i am new i this page i am lerning how work if you dond like me change the chanel. another thing the anser that you gave me dont work.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
I also wanted to add, I have gone through about 5 different designs and brands of PLCC sockets. One design stood out from the rest and has a much stronger grip than the common designs that are out there. And that's the one I chose to use.

Trust me, I wouldn't try to sell a product that would just fall off. Countless hours of testing, re-testing, and re-re-testing.

Nobody had mentioned it so far so I felt it was something that needed to be addressed since, as you acknowledge, getting a reversed PLCC socket to work fine is problematical. I'm glad to hear you made sure there aren't issues.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Great idea!

I'm on board for some of these NTM, just let me know when you're taking orders...

Jeff

reversed PLCCs are common in the amiga world, it just needs good pressure to work well.

I´m interested in the NGCD version.

kudos for your amigaish design NTM!

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
reversed PLCCs are common in the amiga world, it just needs good pressure to work well.

I´m interested in the NGCD version.

kudos for your amigaish design NTM!

I <3 Amiga.

While I was working on the CD bios re-wiring I swore never to cut and solder another wire to a surface mount pad again. So I pulled out the multimeter and poked around.