World Cup 2010 ZAF

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I am rethinking the outcomes, after realizing that Brazil will likely qualify before they even see Portugal, at which point they're going to sit their starters. So the only way Côte moves forward is if they win the first match against Portugal...

France, Uruguay - Sticking with my original prediction. Uruguay is not going to let Mexico waltz past them in game three.

Argentina, Nigeria - Greece might move forward, hell, Argentina might not even make it out. They're a high risk high reward team. Maradona is a twat.

England, USA - not interested in this group. Upset is unlikely.

Germany, Serbia - Not sure. Could be Ghana. They do have the easier schedule.

Netherlands, Cameroon - Eto'o running wild.

Italy, Slovakia - already called this. Slovakia is going to show up.

Portugal, Brazil - Portugal is blessed by seeing Brazil last. Not sure how it will turn out though, since Brazil never pulls punches. Not even against the worst futsal team in the world.

Spain, Chile - Spain is obviously going to qualify before they see Chile. And they're going to rest all the starters against Chile.

Netherlands is the Dark Horse...they will surprise many.

But....Mexico will win the world cup! :D

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Netherlands is the Dark Horse...they will surprise many.

But....Mexico will win the world cup! :D

after 2008, Netherlands should be pretty high up on the list of potential winners. I believe they are #3 in the world right now, behind Brazil and Spain.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
The Dutch team is my fave after Germany, simply love watching them play.

Hey, 17 hours to go until WC 2010 kick-off!!!! :)

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Myself and many others will be surprised if we make it past the 1st round:lolz:
I will start getting hyped after that.
Been hearing this bs about the dutch team being one of the best in the world for a few decades now.Well only one European Championship in '88 and not a single world cup.Statistics mean shit in this matter.
And yes I lack knowledge and insight in the game compared to most of you.

@takumaji: I own a german support shirt from '06.Germany is me and the gf's favorite after the dutch(not really thing to mention in the netherlands)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The Dutch team is my fave after Germany, simply love watching them play.

Hey, 17 hours to go until WC 2010 kick-off!!!! :)

yeah, tomorrow morning I'm meeting friends at a bar around 10 for kick off. woo hoo!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Myself and many others will be surprised if we make it past the 1st round:lolz:

A World Cup has different rules than an Euro Championship, something tells me that your guys will advance further than just beating the first round.

What about Robben, I've read he's injured, will he be able to play?

@takumaji: I own a german support shirt from '06.Germany is me and the gf's favorite after the dutch(not really thing to mention in the netherlands)

That's great! :)

And it's the same over here, you'll earn lots of disbelief if you tell people that you root for the Netherlands after our own boys.

Ah well, Netherlands and Germany, must be love, eh... :D

yeah, tomorrow morning I'm meeting friends at a bar around 10 for kick off. woo hoo!

Kickoff is at 4 p.m. over here, I'll be watching the game with some buddies. My friend Andre bought a bunch of Vuvuzelas, my neighbours will love it!

Also looking forward to Uruguay - France.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I really doubt it. Asian teams shouldn't even be in the world cup.

Really? Even after japan hung tough with brazil in '06? Time will tell- ROK is really good at creating space. Not saying they will take the entire tourney- they deserve to be there tho. I look forward to watching the cup with you all as my local friends are meh on footy in good times, and outright despondent now that the Flyers have lost the cup.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I don't think so. Their best player is in the J-League. That's hardly a sign of talent. I am saying that as an old school Verde fan. In fact, I hope they do terribly, because as a nation, they are truly in need of a beat down. I'm talking outside the cup, kidnapping Japanese people and being dicks in Asia.

Really? Even after japan hung tough with brazil in '06? Time will tell- ROK is really good at creating space. Not saying they will take the entire tourney- they deserve to be there tho. I look forward to watching the cup with you all as my local friends are meh on footy in good times, and outright despondent now that the Flyers have lost the cup.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I don't think so. Their best player is in the J-League. That's hardly a sign of talent. I am saying that as an old school Verde fan. In fact, I hope they do terribly, because as a nation, they are truly in need of a beat down. I'm talking outside the cup, kidnapping Japanese people and being dicks in Asia.

ROK (South), dicks in Asia? Perhaps you mean the DPRK(North)? South Korea has not been kidnapping and sinking subs, nor do i think they are in need of a beat down. Anywho, hopefully the kids will take an early nap tomorrow so i can be ready for 10am.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
A World Cup has different rules than an Euro Championship, something tells me that your guys will advance further than just beating the first round.

What about Robben, I've read he's injured, will he be able to play?

That's great! :)

And it's the same over here, you'll earn lots of disbelief if you tell people that you root for the Netherlands after our own boys.

Ah well, Netherlands and Germany, must be love, eh... :D

Kickoff is at 4 p.m. over here, I'll be watching the game with some buddies. My friend Andre bought a bunch of Vuvuzelas, my neighbours will love it!

Also looking forward to Uruguay - France.
Lol,yes love,that must be it.
As far as I know Robben had just a minor hamstring injury.Not sure if he will be playing the first match but he will play it seems.

edit: not going to complain about the penalty issue in '74,that one was set straight in '88.For me the soccer war between Germany and the Netherlands ended there and then.
There is also supposedly a dutch movie called "rent a friend"
It's about a dutch guy that is crazy about German football,because he has no one to watch the championship he tries to hire someone.Never saw it though.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
ROK (South), dicks in Asia? Perhaps you mean the DPRK(North)? South Korea has not been kidnapping and sinking subs, nor do i think they are in need of a beat down. Anywho, hopefully the kids will take an early nap tomorrow so i can be ready for 10am.

I definitely mean the north.

As for South Korea, I think they're going to suck pretty bad. They were great when they had Guus Hiddink in charge. Now they're mediocre.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
There is also supposedly a dutch movie called "rent a friend"
It's about a dutch guy that is crazy about German football,because he has no one to watch the championship he tries to hire someone.Never saw it though.

lol, that sounds like something I'll have to watch, I love off-broadway productions like that.

IMO it's time to bury that Germany vs Netherlands war crap, we're less different than we think! :)

As for South Korea, I think they're going to suck pretty bad. They were great when they had Guus Hiddink in charge. Now they're mediocre.

Yeah, Guus got them in international shape but that's only one side of the coin, the other is an inherent talent which Hiddink brought to light. South Korea has brought forth a number of really skilled players, and not only since Guus took over I might add. Take the legendary Cha Bum-kun for example, between 1978 and '89, he played for Darmstadt, Frankfurt and Leverkusen and was among the Bundesliga top players for years, they still hold him in highest regard in Frankfurt, and that's just one (prominent) example.

As a team, South Korea still seems a little half-baked because of the lack of international championship experience. I'd love to see what a coach like our Jogi Löw could do with them... hey, he's out of work after WC 2010 anyway, so... :D :tickled:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Black Power salute given by headlining opening ceremonies performer and back up dancers? Didn't see that coming. I understand why it was done in '68 by the athletes on the podium. But in the 21st century? With black heads of state in both the host country and the country of the performer? Way to keep it real, R. Kelly. Ugh.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Kelly is a dork. And 30 years too late, eh.

Anyway, 40 mins. to go, beer and chips are ready, GO GO WORLDCUP 2010!!! :drool::multi_co:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Kelly is a dork. And 30 years too late, eh.

Anyway, 40 mins. to go, beer and chips are ready, GO GO WORLDCUP 2010!!! :drool::multi_co:

Piggy backing on our 'geek' posts in the warroom, i'm in full footy nerd mode! I'm in the U.S. - yet i insist on watching Mexico v. South Africa on UniVision:). GOOOOOOOOOOAL!

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
Watching the opening game as well w/the usual routine: commentary on ESPN, goal scoring on Univision. Enjoy The 2010 World Cup, everyone!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Piggy backing on our 'geek' posts in the warroom, i'm in full footy nerd mode! I'm in the U.S. - yet i insist on watching Mexico v. South Africa on UniVision:). GOOOOOOOOOOAL!

Yes, I'm in footie-nerd mode too, god, worldcups feel so goooood! :D :loco:

As much as I respect Mexico, I want South Africa to win the match.

And man, those Vuvuzelas are damn loud! :eek:

Anyway, Have fun everyone, see you in 45 mins! :)

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
So touching to see Bishop Tutu in the crowd. The world has changed so profoundly in his lifetime. I'm thrilled he lived to see this Cup.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Typical first half of a WC opening match, good performance by Mexico, their game is very concentrated and spot-on while South Africa has a very high morale and really took off during the last ten minutes of 1st half, they seem a bit unorganized to me, though.

Overall good show so far.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
South Africa - Mexico 1:1

Nice match, Tshabalala's goal was absolutely amazing!

Mexico still was the better team IMO but the RSA guys are very powerful and highly motivated.

Next match on schedule is Uruguay - France.

Your predictions, gentlemen?

I say 1:2 (not that I'd want the French to win).