Magician Lord cart owner, please read and answer this

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Was Burning Fight only released in the taller plastic box that has the same height as the carton boxes or did it got a run in the standard old style plastic box as well?

That has just to do with the different stocks and production runs of the game and the boxes themselves. It's actually impossible to know for sure. :)

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
my little sister can now beat the AES cart
on every run she makes. took a LOT of practice, though...

her cart is the first-run U.S. plastic box version,
that restarts you at the start of stage after death...

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
BUMP for old thread.

I was playing my Magician lord MVS today, English label, and it indeed does have the first revision of the game.

Not happy about this, I prefer the version I use to own on AES.

Did anyone ever figure out a way to determine from looking on the outside, if a MVS or AES version has rom set #1 or #2?

I would like to figure this out, and get #2 rom set.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
BUMP for old thread.

I was playing my Magician lord MVS today, English label, and it indeed does have the first revision of the game.

Did anyone ever figure out a way to determine from looking on the outside, if a MVS or AES version has rom set #1 or #2?

All the MVS carts I've owned were #1, all AES were #2. If you want #2, get an AES cart.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
You'd probably want to check the P1 ROM, see if there's any difference in the print on the chip between the two cartridge versions.

Ray

New Challenger
Hey, did anyone definitely figure out whether Nam has 2 revisions or not? I have both board sets and they appear to be identical.

Haven't ever seen a second revision of Nam-1975. To my knowledge all the games that had revisions have either a "P1" or "PG1" chip. On Shock Troopers P1 is revision A and PG1 is revision B with the seperate health bars. Magician Lord MVS has a PG1 and the AES version has P1. These 2 games are the only ones I know of, I think the other examples in this thread are region/MVS-AES differences.

By the way, I don't think anyone has uploaded a scan of a revision A set of ST to mvs-scans yet.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Haven't ever seen a second revision of Nam-1975. To my knowledge all the games that had revisions have either a "P1" or "PG1" chip. On Shock Troopers P1 is revision A and PG1 is revision B with the seperate health bars. Magician Lord MVS has a PG1 and the AES version has P1. These 2 games are the only ones I know of, I think the other examples in this thread are region/MVS-AES differences.

By the way, I don't think anyone has uploaded a scan of a revision A set of ST to mvs-scans yet.

I remember reading something about being able to continue on the Nam final boss or not. CRC check is the same for both Nam board types on MVS scans.

As for Shock Troopers, I'll scan mine and send 'em in.

EDIT: Sent

Spoiler:
Shock Troopers Front A.jpgShock Troopers Back A.jpgShock Troopers Front B.jpgShock Troopers Back B.jpg

Last edited:

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
I think there's at least 3 revisions for nam75: one without demo, one with demo and no join in on Muckley, one with demo and join in anytime.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
OK, which version can you continue on the final boss? Cause my mvs version pissed me off when I made it to the end and failed.

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
Hard to say: all mvs/aes/cd revisions i've seen have no join in at Muckley. Did your mvs cart have demo in mvs/aes mode?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I just wanted to add that there is undumped versions of KOTM2, World Heroes, Puzzle Bobble (but not sure if a boot), Pulster and Metal Slug 3 ROM (or just SMA). It is not known if these were just bad EPROMs or different revisions of the games. As follows.

Metal Slug 3 (encrypted) - 0256 - - 01 - 1 MVS (not dumped, good?)
ROM REGION - 9763419E (fail) sma data could be different

Pulster - 0087 - - 01 - 1 MVS (not dumped, good?)
ROM REGION - 40BD5336 (fail)
ROM BANK 0 - B8890051 (fail)
ROM BANK 1 - 6FAC329D (fail)

World Heroes - 0053 - - 01 - 1 MVS (not dumped, good?)
ROM REGION - CE096709 (fail)

King of Monsters 2 - 0039 - - 01 - 1 MVS (not dumped, good?)
ROM REGION - 3296E2B3 (fail)

Puzzle Bobble - 0083 - - 01 - 1 MVS (not dumped, good?)
ROM REGION - 3B213B8C6 (fail)

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
BUMP for old thread.

If you have access to the cart you can use the unibios CRC check to check which Magician lord you have.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Raz: Are there multiple versions of NAM or is it all a bullshit lie? Both board revs on MVS Scans have the same CRC #s.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I don't know to be honest. All I can say is that it has never been reported to me a NAM cart that fails the unibios crc check. There is only one known crc.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I don't know to be honest. All I can say is that it has never been reported to me a NAM cart that fails the unibios crc check. There is only one known crc.

OK, thanks! Until we find out otherwise, I think it's safe to assume any differences are due to region or AES/MVS mode rather than a different ROM set.

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
You can check videos showing demo play. I think there's also a different number of credits in AES mode.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
The credits thing runs the span of several first generation home carts. Some of them it has been proven, others not yet. Nam '75 in particular causes confusion because it is technically endless credits, however, when battling the final boss, the credits become limited (continue feature becomes limited & eventually disabled)

So while first gen games like Ninja Combat & Super Spy have endless continues, games like Nam 1975 & Ghost Pilots are believed to have both endless continue versions, and 10 continue versions.

However, the home cart mode didn't work back then like it did in say the 1992 era. Say for example the average game had 04 credits per player per side (8 continues maximum) but rather 10 credits which were not displayed per say as "credit 09" at the bottom of the screen. The display never changed and the count was done and kept by the system.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
I just wanted to add that there is undumped versions of KOTM2, World Heroes, Puzzle Bobble (but not sure if a boot), Pulster and Metal Slug 3 ROM (or just SMA). It is not known if these were just bad EPROMs or different revisions of the games. As follows.

Metal Slug 3 (encrypted) - 0256 - - 01 - 1 MVS (not dumped, good?)
ROM REGION - 9763419E (fail) sma data could be different

Pulster - 0087 - - 01 - 1 MVS (not dumped, good?)
ROM REGION - 40BD5336 (fail)
ROM BANK 0 - B8890051 (fail)
ROM BANK 1 - 6FAC329D (fail)

World Heroes - 0053 - - 01 - 1 MVS (not dumped, good?)
ROM REGION - CE096709 (fail)

King of Monsters 2 - 0039 - - 01 - 1 MVS (not dumped, good?)
ROM REGION - 3296E2B3 (fail)

Puzzle Bobble - 0083 - - 01 - 1 MVS (not dumped, good?)
ROM REGION - 3B213B8C6 (fail)

The two different Metal Slug 3 versions are most likely the version with the daughter board & the version without it.

The World Heroes revision has to do with the Brocken glitch. Only the first run MVS versions have it, while the home version and subsequent MVS versions has the bug removed.

The King of the Monsters 2 most likely is the same as Fatal Fury, 3 Count Bout, etc. (the early MVS versions with EPROMs for the P roms versus the home and later revisions with Mask Roms for the P files.

Bust A Move revisions could be because of the official power spikes 2 conversions versus the other rom sets.

Pulstar I have no clue. First I ever hear of it?

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Hmmm I may have an early KoM2 then I could possibly dump. It has an EPROM iirc but don't remember if it was the program roms. I'll try to check this weekend if it's undumped.

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
I can confirm Nam 75 has a US AES cart revision with gameplay demo and 6 credits per side.