Clear Neo Geo CD System & Debug Donation Thread

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
There were some Neo CD units (like mine) that didn't work with the bios for some unknown reason, even though other units with the same hardware revision worked perfectly. I sent my system to NTM so he could work his magic, but the problem was never found.

If Turf and Dan ever want to resume researching it, I'm still down to have my system used as a guinea pig.

I did start messing with this again last month and I'm convinced it all comes down to interference coming from the CD drive. Some systems dont have shielding on the drive PCB. Since you have to cut the motherboard shielding to allow space for the eprom to fit, the eprom and drive pcb are pretty damn close.

When I tested a recent system with the bios adapter:
-Drive put to the side, system worked.
-Drive placed in normal position, no workie.
-While a game was loading, I slowly lowered the top case into place. The closer I got, game would stop loading.
-Placed a copper shield covering the bios and lowered the case. Worked perfectly, no errors.

So there ya have it. I'm convinced its shielding related. A simple fix is to get some thick gage copper foil and place it over the hole needed for the bios.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
So this means the CD UniBIOS is still within the realm of possibility! Awesome!

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
The CDZ Debug BIOS did have some sort of response on the older CD systems, but for now it's CDZ only. Back when this project was being worked on, full Neo CD hardware support was planned. I'm not sure what halted development...

Damn... so I will have to read moon to play fast-loading NGCD games?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That's awesome, NTM. Red blood on English Metal Slug may be possible after all!

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
So, you're the one who outbid me....

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-142463.html

So, have we determined what exactly the clear Neo CD is? I mean, is it like a test unit or what?

Nope, but I bought it from the person who did.

Its definitely a prototype, completely different motherboard layout and a early bios. The other system that was in that auction was early as well, different layout, and writing on different parts of the board.

bLiGhTy

War Room Troll
Would it be safe to assume there is at least another 5 of these around somewhere? sure hope i get a chance to own one :)

leftypem

n00b
Sweet system, didnt know a clear test design existed. Reminds me of the skeleton sega saturns.

My first thought upon seeing this was the same! Looks great! I'll bet if they had sold these with a 2x drive and more RAM they would have done better in the market.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Hey NTM, any progress on that CD debug bios?

I'm finally getting back into the Neo game with a CD unit this time, and I need bouncy tits, blood, and English. :p

Also, I'm getting a front loader, will that make a difference?

EDIT: Ah, I just realized that you're just taking up donations for the guy who was working on this... did it ever happen?

Last edited:

badmind36

n00b
Hi fellas,

New to the forums although I've been lurking awhile... recently spotted this on youtube, anyone else see this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4dnpW9sDVY

I've been debating getting a CD top loader until I can save up for a CMVS (JNX for the win), would definitely be really cool to see the unibios make it over to the CD platform!

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
reminds me of the crystal xbox's.

which reminds me of when i saw one at a local savers and it was 60 dollars

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
Is there a serial number on the bottom of the clear Neo CD?

Also, is anybody installing the bios on CDZ's?