Clear Neo Geo CD System & Debug Donation Thread

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I hope by posting these pics and information, this will bring some awareness and donations to Mr. smkdan and his work on the Neo Geo CD debug bios. In the future it may also help us make use of the extra ram slots that are available on the CDZ (we're not close to that yet, but you have to start somewhere). In a very short time smkdan has made a lot of progress and it is currently working on my CDZ. Paypal donations to snkdan@hotmail.com, I'm sure he'd appreciate any donation amount, and he is in no way asking me to do this.

Enough with the PSA, here are the Clear Neo CD pics. I havent posted them on the 'fancub' but will soon. I bought this from NeoBomberman about 3 years ago and it was found on a yahoo.jp auction as some of you may remember. It is 100% legit, not some knockoff case. The motherboard is a completely different design than the final top loader and during boot the BIOS revision number is displayed at the bottom of the screen. I'll get a pic of that posted soon. These pics are from 2007 when I first got it, I cannot take the case apart again as the plastic screw holes wont take another screw/unscrewing as they are pretty brittle.

ccdxyz.JPG

Top - Lid Open
Top - Lid Closed
Front Shot
Disc
Top - Close
Shield
Motherboard
AV PCB
Controller PCB
Rear
Boot Screen

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yup, I remember that one from a few years back on yahoo jp I think.

Everything looks the same except for the casing of course.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Awesome, never seen it before.

And off to the other thread... I'm definitely going to support the NGCD debug bios project.

Great to hear that some people are still interested in the ol' machine! :)

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
So it's not a commercial version of the NGCD. Is it a developer's tool?

ptrix4u2c

Mega Shock!!
Man, that is so cool. I wish I could see it in real life! ;)

I love that design of that model of the Neo Geo CD so much.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Are there any hardware differences in this model to a normal top loader?

alphagamer

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Very unique, I always liked see-through systems.

Is it the only one that ever surfaced?

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
Please note for future donations, that name has changed. It's snkdan@hotmail.com. It is the address of a personal friend who posts here who isn't very original with his names. Kevin Daniels, that's what donators should've seen. Daniel or SluggerDan will take care of my donations from now on. There are issues with using PP that I'm not quite comfortable with, long story involving large amount of cash in small window since account creation. If you're interesting in donating, please keep this in mind. You should see "Daniel" when donating to him.

Thanks again to any donators, very motivating and the project will definitely turn out just fine.

slugger_dan

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
yea he's over now. I've agreed to handle future money for him. yeah yeah I'm shit with names, got some inspiration from him :).

edit: that's actually pretty interesting. Maybe an early design for showcasing at a convention or something? The production board appears a couple months off too.

Last edited:

Isiis

n00b
sorry for my first post on this forum to be semi off topic (Been lurking this site since 2002 haha)

but does anyone in Australia Do component video/ stereo audio mods to AES consoles here?

I'll be active on this forum from now i swear haha

that is one of a badass system ! are you selling it or keeping it in your collection?
Any updates on the neo geo cd debug progress?

Tom

The Frog of Genjuro,
Wow that is a really cool looking system. It's great after all these years people are still finding awesome stuff like this.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Sweet system, didnt know a clear test design existed. Reminds me of the skeleton sega saturns.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
I know you said being able to use the extra ram slots on the CDZ was a way off at this point but any idea as to how much the extra ram would improve the load times and overall performance?

Also, exactly how much more ram can the expansion slots handle?

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
Guessing whatever bios update you guys come up with will only work with the CDz?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I know you said being able to use the extra ram slots on the CDZ was a way off at this point but any idea as to how much the extra ram would improve the load times and overall performance?

Also, exactly how much more ram can the expansion slots handle?

Apparently around twice the original RAM amount. I think the CDZ had better load times because of a CD cache of some sort though.

Guessing whatever bios update you guys come up with will only work with the CDz?

The CDZ Debug BIOS did have some sort of response on the older CD systems, but for now it's CDZ only. Back when this project was being worked on, full Neo CD hardware support was planned. I'm not sure what halted development...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
There were some Neo CD units (like mine) that didn't work with the bios for some unknown reason, even though other units with the same hardware revision worked perfectly. I sent my system to NTM so he could work his magic, but the problem was never found.

If Turf and Dan ever want to resume researching it, I'm still down to have my system used as a guinea pig.