Official A/V Thread

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
What would you guys recommend for a sub-$500 receiver? I had a Denon AVR-789 that I really enjoyed, though I know there's better out there. I've got 4 Mirage omnisats and a Mirage center whose model name escapes me. I don't need this year's model or anything. Also in need of a decent sub recommendation, as my Polk PSW110 died (it was my budget solution for not having a sub at all)

If I was buying a new receiver in that price range it would be:
Yamaha RXV665
Onkyo TX-SR608

I don't typically buy new so I'd be looking at something like this...
Pioneer Elite vsx-92txh
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1288185683&/Pioneer-Elite-vsx-92txh

Overall that Pioneer will kick the crap out of the above mentioned receivers; it will also have a warmer more natural sound. Surround receivers become outdated very....very quick. Spend the same money on a nicer used unit and you will be much happier.

Polk doesn't make a bad sub for the money. Why not pick up a Mirage sub; you will not have to worry alot about intergration and setup issues. Otherwise Velodyne is great before take'n the jump to a more highend sub.

Last edited:

Kiken

Camel Slug

That doesn't look too bad, actually... interesting that it has direct DVI input (most HD sets just have VGA and HDMI). I love how CompUSA screwed up labeling the inputs on the back of the set (they lumped the component differential red and composite video jacks into audio).

One question I have is, is the optical audio connection input or output? I've seen quite a few HD sets that have optical out but not many with optical in.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I've started building a 2 channel set up. So far I've got a Jolida 1501rc and a pair of Sovtek 12AX7LPs to swap out the chinese tubes that come with it. For Speakers I've got Magnepan MMGs which I just setup yesterday.

I'm stuck on CD players though. Looking at units between $250 and $600. So far I've been looking at used NAD, Rotel, Arcam, Creek and Rega.

After I get the CD unit the next step is going to be getting a phono setup along the lines of a NAD PP2i phono preamp and either an entry level Rega or Project table. After that maybe add a nice little 8" or 10" sub.

Considering at this stage all I have is the amp and speakers does anyone here have any suggestions for the rest of the gear?

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I'd say you're on the right track looking at used Rotel, Arcam and Rega. I don't know what I'd chose for pre-amp; I'm using my surround receiver with a power amplifier and will probably do so until I can afford some Densen stuff.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I should learn to read :loco:

Anyway, good luck with the setup. Jolida and Sovtek are brands I've never heard of. I hope they serve you well.

Neo Ash

I've started building a 2 channel set up. So far I've got a Jolida 1501rc and a pair of Sovtek 12AX7LPs to swap out the chinese tubes that come with it. For Speakers I've got Magnepan MMGs which I just setup yesterday.

I'm stuck on CD players though. Looking at units between $250 and $600. So far I've been looking at used NAD, Rotel, Arcam, Creek and Rega.

After I get the CD unit the next step is going to be getting a phono setup along the lines of a NAD PP2i phono preamp and either an entry level Rega or Project table. After that maybe add a nice little 8" or 10" sub.

Considering at this stage all I have is the amp and speakers does anyone here have any suggestions for the rest of the gear?

1) That Jolida is not a bad base to start with. Because it is a hybrid preamp/amp combo, try to go with low noise or ultra low noise tubes if you can. That Jolida is small, so you may run into issues with microphonics.

I use RAM Labs 12AX7 low noise tubes in my preamp. It's a true dual mono pre design so it uses 4 tubes at $50 each.... :emb: The ultra low noise tubes run about $90 each.

You'll learn quickly that not all tubes are equal and tube audio isn't cheap.

Because those are preamp tubes you should easily get well over 5 years of good use out of them. Be sure to allow some warm up time before you start pumping sound through the system (this is more important for amps than preamps).

You'll love those MMGs, you'll just wish you had taken the jump to the 1.7s. I've heard the entire Magnepan line all the way to the 20.1....excellent speakers!

2) If you take your time and look hard online you can find a used Rega Apollo at the upper range of your CD player budget. NAD is ok....Rotel is garbage IMO. Arcams are nice as well if you can find a good deal.

3) Nothing wrong with that NAD phono preamp. If you don't want to spend a lot of money the Rega P1 is the way to go. There are many more upgrade options for it.

4) A word of caution on the sub. It is not easy to mesh a sub with planar speakers. Because of the low mass they are very quick. If you want more bass trade up to the 1.7 or use a good 8" sub if you must.

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
If I was buying a new receiver in that price range it would be:
Yamaha RXV665
Onkyo TX-SR608

I don't typically buy new so I'd be looking at something like this...
Pioneer Elite vsx-92txh
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1288185683&/Pioneer-Elite-vsx-92txh

Overall that Pioneer will kick the crap out of the above mentioned receivers; it will also have a warmer more natural sound. Surround receivers become outdated very....very quick. Spend the same money on a nicer used unit and you will be much happier.

Polk doesn't make a bad sub for the money. Why not pick up a Mirage sub; you will not have to worry alot about intergration and setup issues. Otherwise Velodyne is great before take'n the jump to a more highend sub.

Thanks a lot :). I got spacey and forgot I posted here until today, lol.

Neo Ash

This past Thursday, the g/f and I spent the evening at an in-store event and my favorite high-end shop. Richard Vandersteen of Vandersteen Audio was there to talk about the new Model 7 speakers.

Before the event got cranked up, we had the opportunity to privately audition the Vandersteen 2Ce SigII speakers. They are not the best looking speaker, but man do they sound great! Imaging, coherence, and overall accuracy is wonderful. They were powered by a Audio Research - DSi200 Integrated Amplifier. The source was a McIntosh MCD500 SACD/CD Player.
2ce_m.jpg

Next we spent some time in the home theater room. The Runco projector was breath taking…I believe it was the Q750 LED projector ($15K). The image was projected on a Stewart Filmscreen. 3D TV doesn’t have anything on this experience. The front speakers were Vandersteen 3A with matching center and surrounds. The audio experience was truly life like.
Runco_Q750i_LED_Projector_M.jpg

3A_SIG_M.jpg

Later we were given a demonstration of the Vandersteen Quatro. Source material was played on a Well Tempered Lab Amadeus Turntable.
Vandersteen_Quatro_Wood_Signature_II_Tower_Speaker_M.jpg

I was truly blown away by the model 7. These are the best speakers I have ever listened to. I say that having auditioned much more expensive speakers costing well over $100K such as the Grand Utopia by Focal and B&O’s flagship speaker (never thought that much of Bang and Olufsen) just to name a couple. The 7s were demoed with another Well Tempered turntable with a Dynavector - DV507MKII Tone Arm ($5K just for the tone arm). They were powered by a pair of Ayre monoblocks connected to a Audio Research REF 5 tube preamp.
Dynavector_DV507MK2_Tone_Arm_M.jpg

Vandersteen_Model_7_Tower_Speakers_2_M.jpg

It was a very memorable A/V night; the event lasted a solid 4 hours. Richard answered all questions and was truly a pleasant person to talk with.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
You'll love those MMGs, you'll just wish you had taken the jump to the 1.7s. I've heard the entire Magnepan line all the way to the 20.1....excellent speakers!

If you take your time and look hard online you can find a used Rega Apollo at the upper range of your CD player budget.

Well you were right I love the MMGs. I don't know about upgrading though, not sure I have enough room for anything larger.

I did end up grabbing a used Apollo and am very happy with it.

Now I have really started to look at turntables. I leaning towards the Music Hall MMF-2.2 and I'm thinking about getting a used PP2 pre until I can get some spare cash for a Pro-Ject Tube Box II or Phono Box SE II.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Christ, went to a local audio store yesterday and walked out with a Music Hall MMF5.1 and demoed a REL 8" sub which was pretty damn impressive.

Waiting for my phono pre-amp to show up now.

I have to say thought that even though I have dropped quite a bit of $$$$ on this stuff which by audiophile standards is still considered less than moderate I can't say I regret any of it.

I would advise anybody that has unused games laying around and is an avid music listener too go ahead and sell that shit off and turn that money around into a nice audio setup.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Not anything important to contribute but I plan on picking up either a Marantz SR5005 or 6005 after I get my tax return. I've had a Pioneer Elite for the last 8-9 years and I'm ready for something new/better. (Im not a huge fan of the pioneer)

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I know we have some real experts on the subject of televisions, so I was hoping to get some good advice as I don't understand anything about modern televisions...at all.

I'd like to get a tv around 50 inches, and most likely a sony or samsung. Anyone able to make some recommendations based on personal experience?

Just to give some background on my expected usage...I dont have a bluray player and don't plan on getting one anytime soon. This tv will just be for causal tv/dvd viewing, and some occasional wii/360 gaming. Oh and the room it will be in is pretty bright...if that makes a difference.

I've checked out reviews on cnet and stuff, but everything sounds the same to me.

Any advice about LCD vs LED/LCD would be really helpful too.

Thanks!

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I need some advice; re: DVD recorder/VCR combo units. Is there any sort of reference unit of this type? Gear driven, multi-head VCR along w/ Line-In(s) higher quality than S-VID?

I really would like a unit tough enough to transfer 100 or so VHS to DVD, and HQ enough to display ( the few tapes I plan on keeping) in the best manner possible.

Thanks in advance!

Neo Ash

neo_moe said:
I know we have some real experts on the subject of televisions, so I was hoping to get some good advice as I don't understand anything about modern televisions...at all.

I'd like to get a tv around 50 inches, and most likely a sony or samsung. Anyone able to make some recommendations based on personal experience?

Just to give some background on my expected usage...I dont have a bluray player and don't plan on getting one anytime soon. This tv will just be for causal tv/dvd viewing, and some occasional wii/360 gaming. Oh and the room it will be in is pretty bright...if that makes a difference.

I've checked out reviews on cnet and stuff, but everything sounds the same to me.

Any advice about LCD vs LED/LCD would be really helpful too.

Thanks!
Sony and Samsung are pretty close; I'd go for the Sony, that's based on pure preference.

I have two Panasonic Viera TVs; one is a 42" plasma the other is a 32" LCD.

Save some cash and go with the LCD.

My 32" is a recent purchase and I'm very pleased, it was compaired to the same size Sony and came out on top IMO. The audio could be better, but that is me being very picky and not relavent due to the home theater. The black levels are very good near plasma quality out of the box. The PC input is nice for Hulu.

I can post pics if you or anyone else is in the market for one.

wataru330 said:
I need some advice; re: DVD recorder/VCR combo units. Is there any sort of reference unit of this type? Gear driven, multi-head VCR along w/ Line-In(s) higher quality than S-VID?

I really would like a unit tough enough to transfer 100 or so VHS to DVD, and HQ enough to display ( the few tapes I plan on keeping) in the best manner possible.

Thanks in advance!

I think most any decent brand should hold up to 100 copies. I'm not sure I personally would tie up a lot of money in a DVD/VCR. After you copy your tapes you'll have little need for that feature. Why not use a basic VCR you may already have and buy a nice DVD player/recorder? 4-head is still the standard for VCRs...not much has changed in that world.

Kiel said:
Not anything important to contribute but I plan on picking up either a Marantz SR5005 or 6005 after I get my tax return. I've had a Pioneer Elite for the last 8-9 years and I'm ready for something new/better. (Im not a huge fan of the pioneer)
Marantz isn't what it once was IMO. I'd put an Elite over the similar Mrantz. Give Yamaha a look, the receivers are well rounded and handle both audio and video well.

Last edited:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
newegg has a few bundle deals going on right now:

1. Yamaha RX-V667BL: $499.95
2. Klipsch RB-41 II: $279.99
3. Klipsch RF-52 II B: $349.00
4. Klipsch RF-52 II B: $349.00
5. Klipsch RC-52 II: $349.99
Combo Discount: -$827.94
Combo Price: $999.99

Combo LINK 1

Second deal:
1. Onkyo TX-SR608: $379.00
2. Klipsch RC-52 II: $349.99
3. Klipsch RW-12d: $499.99
5. Klipsch RF-52 II B: $349.00
6. Klipsch RB-51 II: $399.99
Combo Discount: -$926.98
Combo Price: $1,399.99

Combo Link 2

Would this be overkill for an 11'X11' room with open entry (so I guess its 11x11x11)? I would be swaying towards deal #2 but I don't have the cash for either. Fuck I want new sound.

How about a nice 2.1 setup? any suggestions at under $1000?

Neo Ash

newegg has a few bundle deals going on right now:

1. Yamaha RX-V667BL: $499.95
2. Klipsch RB-41 II: $279.99
3. Klipsch RF-52 II B: $349.00
5. Klipsch RC-52 II: $349.99
Combo Discount: -$827.94
Combo Price: $999.99

Combo LINK 1

Second deal:
1. Onkyo TX-SR608: $379.00
2. Klipsch RC-52 II: $349.99
3. Klipsch RW-12d: $499.99
5. Klipsch RF-52 II B: $349.00
6. Klipsch RB-51 II: $399.99
Combo Discount: -$926.98
Combo Price: $1,399.99

Combo Link 2

Would this be overkill for an 11'X11' room with open entry (so I guess its 11x11x11)? I would be swaying towards deal #2 but I don't have the cash for either. Fuck I want new sound.

How about a nice 2.1 setup? any suggestions at under $1000?

11X11 is not a big room for a home theater. I'd go for option #1. You my end up with bloated bass in that small of a room with option#2, unless you have some acoustic treatments (bass traps).

Listen to the speakers somewhere before you buy. Many people hate klipsch and find the highs very harsh, make sure you like the way they sound. They are ok for theater setups, if you like them; but not so great for music.

Now for the 2.1 I'm assuming this is for music only? For music, unless you are into bass heavy music, try to go for a pure 2 channel setup with full range speakers.

Integrated Amp:
NAD C326BEE - $500

img.php

Great, solid integrated amp. Don't let the watt per channel fool you. I have heard this amp in person. It will handle a 4 ohm speaker load all day long and has enough balls to dip as low as 2 ohm.

Speaker option 1:
Usher S-520 - $400

I have owned a pair of these along with the S-525 for some time now. For the money they are very hard to beat. They are extremely detailed and incredibly well built. They are a little on the bright side but never harsh in any way. The bass is also excellent as long as they are not pushed to extreme SPLs.

PM me if you have any specific questions.
s-520-shielded.jpg

Speaker option 2:
Vandersteen 1C - $1000

One of the best bang for the buck tower speakers out there. Vey accurate due to the fact they are time and phase coherent. Detailed, musical, and non fatiguing. I have spent sometime listening to them on budget gear and more expensive gear; they have the great ability to improve as they are integrated with more high-end gear as a person upgrades their system. You will probably not feel the need for a sub with these speakers unless you are into hip-hop or rap.

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
my current CD player, one of the many outstanding byproducts of the "super CD player war" of the late 1980's, in which most of the Japanese CE companies of the time were directly challenging one another in heated competition to design the largest, heaviest most technologically advanced Compact Disc player the world had yet seen.

the result was a long list of superlative quality CD players, built to standards of fit and finish virtually impossible to find
in any optical disc player today.

and this here is, to me, one of the finer examples;

PIONEER PD-91 REFERENCE CD PLAYER (1988/1990)

PD-911.png

PD-919-5-2010.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/PIONEER PD-91/PD-91MacG11-26-104.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/PIONEER PD-91/PD-91MacG11-26-101.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/PIONEER PD-91/PD-91MacG11-26-102.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/PIONEER PD-91 AUDIOGON 7-27-10/DSC_2569.jpg

Last edited:

Neo Ash

AXPONA

Audio Expo North America - April 14th- 17th 2011
Atlanta, GA - Sheraton Downtown

***IF ANY FORUM MEMBERS ARE GOING, LET ME KNOW SO WE CAN MEET UP***

apx031B.jpg

Press Releases
(2/27/2011) AXPONA / sponsored by Stereophile
AXPONA High End Audio Show Doubles In Size For Second Year Event

AXPONA High End Audio Show Doubles In Size For Second Year Event AXPONA / sponsored by Stereophile Magazine announced today that the second year event has doubled in size for exhibitors and number of exhibit spaces. Exhibit Space square footage has more than quadrupled. Daytona Beach, FL (PRWEB) February 28, 2011 -- After only one show the growth of AXPONA has to be due to the quality of the first year exhibitors and attendees. The second year event has added even more of the worlds top suppliers of high end home playback equipment. The downtown Sheraton Atlanta will play host to the event April 14 -17, 2011. The show this year is being supported by the Atlanta Symphony with welcome announcements. Variety Playhouse has partnered to promote the event through it's extensive mailing list and other local connections in the media. Stereophile subscribers will be receiving a personal invitation to the event which includes entry into a drawing sponsored by Paradigm and Sound Ideas Stereo. Numerous other drawings are being sponsored by the exhibitors and AXPONA. Friday night will feature a concert by The University of West Georgia Saxophone Ensemble John Bleuel, conductor with Linda Li-Bleuel, piano soloist. Other musical events are being announced this week. High End Audio In Atlanta Special mention goes to The Atlanta Audio and Video Club who is sponsoring the volunteers to assist attendees and exhibitors in navigating the Sheraton easily and comfortably. Returning to entertain everyone is John Yurick who thrilled all with his melodic and smooth piano playing last year in Jacksonville. Dean Peer will perform and be available to autograph his latest Album, AIRBORNE, recorded by Cardas Audio and available in 180 Gram Audiophile Vinyl and on USB business card format in 24/96 resolution. Realtraps will be supplying room treatment to the exhibitors ensuring great sound from their exhibits. Numerous providers of software including Cds, LPs, and downloads will be on hand to supply the finest in new and classic recordings. Attendance is expected to be in excess of four thousand filling the display areas with a busy and exciting group of music lovers.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Ugh. I got a Jolida 1501RC last summer and it worked great I was pretty happy with it. About 3 months after getting the left channel went out. I troubleshot everything preamp tubes, interconnects, speakers etc. to no avail. Ended up sending the unit in for repairs. After a week of Jolida testing it they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it and were going to send it back.

The day before they shipped it back one of their tech guys called me and said the thought the problem was just that the pins on the tube for the left channel got bent and weren't making any contact.

So I get the unit back and use it for about 2 weeks and the same thing happens again. But now it's cutting in and out evey other time I power the unit on. So I call Jolida and tell them, they say open the unit up and take the tubes out and make sure the pins are straight. So I do and it doesn't do anything so then switch the right and left tubes same thing sound only from the right channel. Put new tubes in and again the same thing.

This goes on with me swapping tubes for like a month as sometimes the unit would like it's supposed to for up to a week. Sometimes it would work and I'd use it for an hour or two turn it off eat dinner turn it back on again no left channel.

Finally it gets to the point that it is obviously defective. So I call Jolida again and tell them that I want a replacement and want to send the unit in. They tell me that they need to test it first and can most likely fix it. I tell them they already had it once and it was worse after I got it back. It's still under warranty and is defective I want a replacement. The model is discontinued so they can't give me a new replacement. So I tell them I want whatever new model took its place(which is pretty much the same thing at the same price) They tell me that can't just give me a replacement and they need to trouble shoot it and decide what to do.

Is expecting a replacement out of line? I expect a company to stand behind their products, I'm not trying to scam them I just want a working unit.

Neo Ash

Ugh. I got a Jolida 1501RC last summer and it worked great I was pretty happy with it. About 3 months after getting the left channel went out. I troubleshot everything preamp tubes, interconnects, speakers etc. to no avail. Ended up sending the unit in for repairs. After a week of Jolida testing it they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it and were going to send it back.

The day before they shipped it back one of their tech guys called me and said the thought the problem was just that the pins on the tube for the left channel got bent and weren't making any contact.

So I get the unit back and use it for about 2 weeks and the same thing happens again. But now it's cutting in and out evey other time I power the unit on. So I call Jolida and tell them, they say open the unit up and take the tubes out and make sure the pins are straight. So I do and it doesn't do anything so then switch the right and left tubes same thing sound only from the right channel. Put new tubes in and again the same thing.

This goes on with me swapping tubes for like a month as sometimes the unit would like it's supposed to for up to a week. Sometimes it would work and I'd use it for an hour or two turn it off eat dinner turn it back on again no left channel.

Finally it gets to the point that it is obviously defective. So I call Jolida again and tell them that I want a replacement and want to send the unit in. They tell me that they need to test it first and can most likely fix it. I tell them they already had it once and it was worse after I got it back. It's still under warranty and is defective I want a replacement. The model is discontinued so they can't give me a new replacement. So I tell them I want whatever new model took its place(which is pretty much the same thing at the same price) They tell me that can't just give me a replacement and they need to trouble shoot it and decide what to do.

Is expecting a replacement out of line? I expect a company to stand behind their products, I'm not trying to scam them I just want a working unit.

Any good company should honor their warranty, be it a repair or replacement.

I'm not too crazy about Jolida. I looked at the 1501's when they first came out. There were a ton of MOSFET problems with those units.

If I were in your shoes, I'd have them repair or replace the unit and toss it up for sale and move on.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
If I were in your shoes, I'd have them repair or replace the unit and toss it up for sale and move on.

Well I finally got around to sending it back on friday. I typed up a letter explaining my dissatisfaction and taped it to the unit to push my point a bit further.

I hate to get it back and sell it off since I was happy with the unit when it was working. So we'll see how it pans out.

Any recommendations for an integrated in the same price range, SS or hybrid?

I figure if they repair it I could get around $650 out of it. If they replace it around $800. I'd be willing maybe to step up a bit and look at stuff in the $800-1200 range depending on what I get back from Jolida.

Neo Ash

Any recommendations for an integrated in the same price range, SS or hybrid?

I figure if they repair it I could get around $650 out of it. If they replace it around $800. I'd be willing maybe to step up a bit and look at stuff in the $800-1200 range depending on what I get back from Jolida.

I'm not too crazy about the hybrid stuff....it just doesn't sound right to me. Better off with a SS amp and a tube pre-amp IMO.

I tried out some gear by Vincent several years ago auditioning some Dali speakers. The Vincient hybrid stuff is good espcially considering the price. But again, it has been a few years since I have heard any of their gear.

Also take a look at the Rega Brio and Mira.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah, looks like shifting the Jolida might be happening when I get it back. I was happy with the unit when it was working but they don't seem to keen on replacing it.

They've had the unit for 2+ weeks now and never bothered to call and tell me what was going on. I called them on weds. to see what was up and was transfered 3 times, each time the person I spoke with was totally unaware of what was going on or that I even had something in for repair.

They all just assured me that they were working on it and that my amp was still on the "test bench"

Really just leaves a very sour taste in my mouth considering the whole ordeal.

If they send me the same unit back and it fucks up again I'm reporting them to the BBB.

They are still giving me the no replacement unit since the model I have has been discontinued BS runaround.

The fucking thing is still under warranty. Just give me a working unit.