Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Official A/V Thread

Kyokugen's Student

That's a great setup. Awesome TV It does look a little 'naked' around the setup though; is that something you plan to do something about?

War Room Troll

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian Meller View Post
    It does look a little 'naked' around the setup though; is that something you plan to do something about?
    I moved in about 2 months ago and I'm only now getting around to buying furniture and other house stuff. That's why all the media is piled up on the floor; the TV stand was the only thing I didn't sell off prior to moving (and I'm going to replace that with something from these guys).

If you look at the reflection on the screen, you can just barely make out a deck chair on the left side, which is my only seating at the moment

NG.com Audiophile
    Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post
    I used to have a Music Hall MMF-5, but sold it when I got laid off along with the rest of my gear at the time. I kept all my vinyl though. Looking forward to getting back into it again at some point. Is Music Hall still a great option for entry-level audiophile turntables?
    Great table. They have the MMF-5.1 out now. I would take a Music Hall for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaThunder View Post
    I was referring to HIS throat, not my own.

I'd fuck Neo Ash's throat... lovingly.

Beard of Zeus

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

Not really hardware related, but this site has some really great uncompressed 24-bit benchmark audio.

The second section with the Stereo WAV DXD 24BIT/352.8kHz files especially.

Kyokugen's Student

Since I've dissed third's setup, I thought I might put mine up for ridicule:

Last edited by Kristian Meller; 07-13-2010 at 08:13 AM.

ahhh people leaving the stickers on the TV!!

Kyokugen's Student

I love that sticker I've had the tv for a year now, and it's staying

Kyokugen's Student

I bought a used Acoustic Reality eAR 202-REF power amplifier that arrived today. Really nice piece of hardware, and it really does seem like there's more control of my speakers now, than my Marantz SR4001 had on its own. It's quite obvious that more detail gets through when I listen to teh musics. It uses a technology called ICEpower, which is a bit controversial, but the biggest knock I can seem to find is that it's too neutral, and merely amplifies, rather than colouring the music in the process. I found that my setup was warm enough as it was, so I just wanted 'pure' amplification, and it definitely hasn't disappointed me.

Awesome, 2channel ftw

Kyokugen's Student

It's a really nice amp. I've moved on to the second CD now (The National - Boxer), and I immediately noticed more detail and just generally better sound quality. I'm no audiophile, so I'm not used to describing this stuff.

The amp is easy as hell to connect, no BS extra features and on top of it all it uses practically no power at all when not in use, so there's no turning it on and off all the time. Has something to do with that there ICEpower tech.

When you put my power amp in standby it just changes the LED on the front from green to red

So naturally I just turn it off.

Kyokugen's Student

What kind of speakerwire do people here use? Just the cheapest stuff you buy 50 feet of at a time, or some of the more serious stuff at $10-50 for each three feet? (I'm used to the metric system, so I'm not sure how y'all measure your speakerwire)

Mine was 200 for 2.5mtr pair, usually 369, hey I had money at the time, cough. Won't ever be replacing it though.

Just get some from monoprice really, its probably all the same pretty much, omg cable wars time.

Kyokugen's Student

I upgraded to AudioQuest Type-4 yesterday, which I paid $15/m for. I don't have high-end speakers or high-end anything else, except for the Blu-ray player I guess, so I figured that should cover me until I upgrade other parts of the setup.

Yeah, thats fine really, spending much more is pretty much stupid

NG.com Audiophile
    Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian Meller View Post
    What kind of speakerwire do people here use? Just the cheapest stuff you buy 50 feet of at a time, or some of the more serious stuff at $10-50 for each three feet? (I'm used to the metric system, so I'm not sure how y'all measure your speakerwire)
    DH Labs Silver Sonic's Q-10 Signature

Just purchased a $150 3 foot IEC power cable a few days ago....
    Last edited by Neo Ash; 07-18-2010 at 08:38 AM.

Kyokugen's Student

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Ash View Post
    That looks awesome. Not unlike my AQ4, just more expensive it looks like.

Just purchased a $150 3 foot IEC power cable a few days ago....

Power cables is one thing I could never bring myself to buy, it'll do with normal kettle leads.

Check this one out:
    6,256.50 for 2mtrs http://www.russandrews.com/product.a...WIIXLFFXPBVURC *facepalm*

Its amazing what a bit of fiddling with speaker positioning will do. Before I had them all measured out and equal distance and angle wise, today I moved them a bit further apart and toed them in a bit more to face me a bit, its sort of a skewed triangle as I sit to one side, and it sounds amazing. The room and positioning is really important but quite often its ignored.

So I just got a Yamaha DDP-1 AC-3 RF demodulator for my laserdisc player but my POS reciever (HTIAB, yeah it's ghetto) only has two channels of input. I've been looking to get an actual receiver for quite a while now and this is the final nail in my current POS's coffin. The DDP-1 manual suggests the Yamaha RX-V2090 since some of the DDP-1 features are preset to function with it but that one's too spendy for me ATM. Is there a budget 5.1 receiver that I should look out for? Also, in case I run into something locally what are some decent 5.1s that I should look for?
    Quote Originally Posted by kernow View Post
    You'd think if you had no input on something you wouldn't post in the thread, but .. yeah.

NG.com Audiophile
    Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoslabia View Post
    So I just got a Yamaha DDP-1 AC-3 RF demodulator for my laserdisc player but my POS reciever (HTIAB, yeah it's ghetto) only has two channels of input. I've been looking to get an actual receiver for quite a while now and this is the final nail in my current POS's coffin. The DDP-1 manual suggests the Yamaha RX-V2090 since some of the DDP-1 features are preset to function with it but that one's too spendy for me ATM. Is there a budget 5.1 receiver that I should look out for? Also, in case I run into something locally what are some decent 5.1s that I should look for?
    Onkyo and Yamaha are both good choices. The Yamaha will do a little better job on the video side.

If you want to take things up a notch look at a used NAD. Cambridge Audio is another good one. The NAD and the Cambridge will offer superior audio quality.

Beard of Zeus

Ok, heres a question. I might be looking to buy a 20ish inch LCD tv to replace my old CRT tv.

What would be my best bet for something that would also support VGA / DVI, HDMI, Component, Coax, all that jazz. Preferably something I could hook both my computer up to and my PS2 or NES if I felt like it. A standard VESA mount so I can hook it to my monitor arm would also be preferable. Probably $250 max.

I dont know much as far as which ones would be good for gaming, especially with older systems.

NG.com Audiophile
    Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nesagwa View Post
    Ok, heres a question. I might be looking to buy a 20ish inch LCD tv to replace my old CRT tv.

What would be my best bet for something that would also support VGA / DVI, HDMI, Component, Coax, all that jazz. Preferably something I could hook both my computer up to and my PS2 or NES if I felt like it. A standard VESA mount so I can hook it to my monitor arm would also be preferable. Probably $250 max.

I dont know much as far as which ones would be good for gaming, especially with older systems.
    On a TV that small, older systems should look pretty good. Keeping the budget in mind, I'd say a Vizio would be your best bet.

Beard of Zeus

On a TV that small, older systems should look pretty good. Keeping the budget in mind, I'd say a Vizio would be your best bet.
    http://www.compusa.com/applications/...181&CatId=3648

LG doesnt make the best stuff, but this one seems pretty good.

What would you guys recommend for a sub-$500 receiver? I had a Denon AVR-789 that I really enjoyed, though I know there's better out there. I've got 4 Mirage omnisats and a Mirage center whose model name escapes me. I don't need this year's model or anything. Also in need of a decent sub recommendation, as my Polk PSW110 died (it was my budget solution for not having a sub at all)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hungkuen View Post
    You're a trouble maker. Aren't trouble makers banned?

Thread Information