Official A/V Thread

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Multiformat lossless and streaming player. Pretty nice but pricey, the regular ones are $300 the Saturn ones are $400. I'd love one of the white ones.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
For the first time in I cannot remember how long, I may be setting up a decent system at home. Our old living room was very tight and the TV had to go into the corner to fit properly. To add to that, much more than 50" was too much screen in too little place. The corner position assured that I couldn't have any proper floor standing speakers either.

Our new home is more of a traditional living room, I'm going to a 65" set and can finally bust my old B&W 601 S3 speakers out of storage. I really do not want anything more than a 2.1 setup and for the time being I have a very mediocre Yamaha receiver I can use. I do need HDMI support as I'll be passing my blu ray and HDDVD (LOL) players through it.

This one here seems to be a solid fit:

http://www.integrahometheater.com/P...7&class=Receiver&source=prodClass#prettyPhoto

Any other suggestions? I don't need anything extravagant, but not a $199 Best Buy special either.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
For the first time in I cannot remember how long, I may be setting up a decent system at home. Our old living room was very tight and the TV had to go into the corner to fit properly. To add to that, much more than 50" was too much screen in too little place. The corner position assured that I couldn't have any proper floor standing speakers either.

Our new home is more of a traditional living room, I'm going to a 65" set and can finally bust my old B&W 601 S3 speakers out of storage. I really do not want anything more than a 2.1 setup and for the time being I have a very mediocre Yamaha receiver I can use. I do need HDMI support as I'll be passing my blu ray and HDDVD (LOL) players through it.

This one here seems to be a solid fit:

http://www.integrahometheater.com/P...7&class=Receiver&source=prodClass#prettyPhoto

Any other suggestions? I don't need anything extravagant, but not a $199 Best Buy special either.

I ended up getting one of these for my setup, mainly for future proofing as most of the features within it aren't usable in my game room at this time. Simple UI and works like a champ with a decent sound bar or speakers.

Marantz AV Audio & Video Component Receiver Black (NR1608), Works with Alexa https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XY7F6MJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_KRQbCbHWQZJYR

I'd say look for true 4K support so you don't have to upgrade too close to the future. 4K is getting cheaper to get into, with TCL and Samsung making solid sets now a days.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I ended up getting one of these for my setup, mainly for future proofing as most of the features within it aren't usable in my game room at this time. Simple UI and works like a champ with a decent sound bar or speakers.

Marantz AV Audio & Video Component Receiver Black (NR1608), Works with Alexa https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XY7F6MJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_KRQbCbHWQZJYR

I'd say look for true 4K support so you don't have to upgrade too close to the future. 4K is getting cheaper to get into, with TCL and Samsung making solid sets now a days.

It seems that Integra does indeed support 4K. The Marantz unit seems nice, and I used to run Marantz components...but I'd rather have a dedicated 2ch amp rather than multi that I'd never use.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Put in a VERY rough install with my old B&W 601 S3 fronts and 600 S3 surrounds. Ran it off of a cheaper Yamaha receiver. I even ran a very mediocre Yamaha subwoofer (some ported whatever...may be a 8" driver, who knows, the grille is permanently fixed. I fed it through my 10+ year old PS3...

Either way, it sounded WAY better than I thought it would. I really didn't expect everything to sound that good. I'm guessing that being out of the game for so long probably has a massive part of it, I'm honest when I say that I have not heard a single modern codec in house.

*EDIT*

One funny thing...my PS3 cannot handle modern codec's...neither can that Yamaha. Any BR I watch comes across in 2ch PCM only. Old DVDs do work just fine in Dolby Digital or DTS.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You need to change your PS3 to bitstream out. It's probably decoding internally and downmixing to stereo.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
You need to change your PS3 to bitstream out. It's probably decoding internally and downmixing to stereo.

I can't find that option...it offers the std 5.1 formats, then a ton of PCM 2-7 channel at various sampling Hz options, that's over HDMI. For Toslink, it's only 5.1 DD/DTS or 2ch PCM.

I did enable 5 and 6ch PCM, but it jacks with the receiver, the center channel gets lost in the shuffle (even though I have it set to "no" on the receiver).

Long story short...I just need a modern player and modern receiver, that would fix everything.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
was a bit of FU money, but all is well.
Code:
https://www.panasonic.com/uk/support/discontinued-products/televisions/tx-50cx802b.html
don't have any ?4k? resolution items, or was aware it supported it.
one more limitation i've found that my older tube accounted for, was shared display, not found a function that divides the screen between 2/4 strip/grid and prioritize one of the displays audio output, and switch if required.
the potential is SO there, the hardware is great, just it's firmware is a bit SHIT atm.
bugged a staffer @ email to see if possible os update will allow for AV-socket input recording in the future, network streams are covered with flying colours. :D

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Well...I guess you have to admit when you're a fool...and I am a fool.

I don't know what I was thinking, but it didn't dawn on me that HDMI is required for modern audio formats. I hooked up my PS3 running the HDMI through the receiver, then to the TV and got multichannel PCM to work with Blu Ray material. Before I was running HDMI stright to the TV, the Toslink back to the receiver (did this originally because of movies from Netflix/Amazon). Either way, worked like a charm. Popped in Blade Runner 2049 and was highly impressed with the audio on the film.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Toslink has limited bandwidth, so you either have compressed multichannel (regular Dolby Digital and DTS) or uncompressed Stereo. Most TV's will spit it out as stereo. Glad you got it sorted.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
That's how I have my PS3 setup. Haven't run across any BDs where the audio doesn't work properly.

It may be my LG set, I really do not know. There's not many settings I can do on my TV, but it is a mid tier 2015 set, so it's not old or anything. Netflix and Amazon will push 5.1 DD, but nothing more than that.

What's strange, when pushing any PCM multichannel from my PS3, through the TV, all the receiver gets is the front L/R and the sub. The center and surrounds do not come through and by that, I mean are dropped completely. All you get is two front effects channels.

Either way, re-routing the HDMI is no big deal, it all works just fine.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The TV would need to be able to decode whatever codec the PS3 is throwing at it and then mix it into stereo. Not all TVs can handle that. My TV can handle anything the PS3/4 will spit at it but it can't process the center channel of my Xbone for some reason, I have to set the Bone to stereo for sound from the TV to work properly. If I'm playing audio through the receiver it can handle anything.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
It may be my LG set, I really do not know. There's not many settings I can do on my TV, but it is a mid tier 2015 set, so it's not old or anything. Netflix and Amazon will push 5.1 DD, but nothing more than that.

OK no it seems to me that your setup is not the same, as the TV should have nothing to do with it. Consider these two scenarios that I use, in both instances, TV volume is at zero.

1. PS3 to TV with HDMI. PS3 to AVR with TOSlink. TV is just for video. AVR is just for audio, Surround works.
2. PC to TV with HDMI. TV to AVR with Digital Audio Coax. TV is just for video. AVR is just for audio. Surround (un tested)
3. HD OTA to TV, TV to AVR with Digital Audio Coax. TV is just for video. AVR for audio, surround works if channel is in HD.

But I will say that the video source from my PC typically is only in 2.0. So the rears never get used and sub will get used by the AVR figures that out on its own. I haven't tried to play a proper surround source on the PC through that connection.
For all instances, my AVR is set to auto-detect, but obviously I have to change the input channels when I change the source. I never change any settings on the TV except the video input number.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
OK no it seems to me that your setup is not the same, as the TV should have nothing to do with it. Consider these two scenarios that I use, in both instances, TV volume is at zero.

1. PS3 to TV with HDMI. PS3 to AVR with TOSlink. TV is just for video. AVR is just for audio, Surround works.

I can do that, and tried that, but the PS3 has limited options for Toslink out. To get that full meal deal, you have to use HDMI.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah toslink is limited to regular Dolby Digital, DTS or stereo. It doesn't have the bandwidth for the HD formats.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
We bought a new TV yesterday, decided on a LCD 4K panel. Bought this one here:

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-65SK9000PUA-4k-uhd-tv

We sit about 10-11' away from the TV, so I decided to go with a 65". Coming from the 49" we temporarily had sitting up on the mantle, the 65" is much larger. Personally, I love it...my wife...not so much. I'm guessing she'll get used to it...

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Well...here she blows. TV mounted, speakers up and running. Not going to run a center channel...not sure where I'd put it.

C9lZMNHh.jpg

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I've got a Pioneer LD-S9 Laserdisc deck incoming. I have to get a stepdown converter before firing it up though.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Nice.

Picking up an Ikegame RGB monitor next week. My dick is hard.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've got a Pioneer LD-S9 Laserdisc deck incoming. I have to get a stepdown converter before firing it up though.

That is ridiculous. Well done.

I don't think a stepdown converter is necessary, but unlike a game system a high end LD player may be one of the things where the slight variance in power may have an effect on image quality.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
That is ridiculous. Well done.

I don't think a stepdown converter is necessary, but unlike a game system a high end LD player may be one of the things where the slight variance in power may have an effect on image quality.

Yeah, I've never used a converter with my Japanese consoles. Plus a lot of the reviews on Amazon show that the converters melt after a year or so of use :lolz:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
The Pioneer S-9 is in, as is a TVone Genlock. I need to shift some stuff in my room around to fit this thing.