Official A/V Thread

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Those Sony's are the popular studio type a lot of people/companies use, right? I didn't care for them (a bit too flat if my memory serves). Tried Sennheiser Momentum 2.0's (beautiful looking, and comfy, but not quite as good sounding as the M50x's), V-MODA Crossfade LP2's and one other model (absolutely horrible...not even tight bass like they're known for), one of the half? open types (forget brand, they're on many of the under $300 lists), and tried maybe 5-7 types of ~$200-300+ Bose and Beats headphones from co-workers (all of which just weren't good at all...can't believe they paid that much money for them), and I'm still in love with the Audio Technica's. I wasn't willing to pay like $300-500+ for the really highly rated ones you see on all the audiophile forums, so the M50's for $120 was perfect for me (especially when they outperformed sets a good $100 more).

So I ended up trying the Sony MDRs while I was working audio last weekend. They sounded fine (I was using a boom mic) but god damn my ears were gross and sweaty after a half hour or 45 minutes of using them. Gonna hang onto the ATs.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I put Velour pads on mine. Makes a world of difference.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I put Velour pads on mine. Makes a world of difference.

Yeah. A few years ago, Neo Ash game me a set of cans for secret santa. I loved them, but I had the ear version of swamp ass. I bought the velour pads that the manufacturer sells for them and now my ears stay cooler and as a result dry. And they're just more comfortable. I've been known to fall asleep with them on my head.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Picked up a AudioQuest Dragonfly Red earlier today. My ultimate plan was to use it for my phone on the go, since all these DAP's seem to be way overpriced, and running old versions of Android. Unfortunately, they were out of the Micro USB to female USB adapter at bestbuy. Said what the hell and picked up a 6ft headphone cable and a RCA adapter, and hooked that bitch up to my PC. Was able to get a free sub for Tidal and stream some MQA files. Sounds pretty damn good through my Marantz and Polk speakers. Makes me wonder why I am still buying records. I guess the Tidal MQA library is quite small right now though, so I doubt most of the CD quality files they host sound better than my records. It does sound really good though.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Got a Pioneer XPD-300R and a set of Sennheiser 600 cans. Not sure I'm happy with either. The Pioneer is dope as fuck but the batteries only last for like 4 hours, the cans don't sound as good as my Sony MDRs.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've never tried the Senn 600s, but I have a set of 598's and despite the sensitivity ratings they need a ton of power to get the mids and lows sounding decent. They sound great in my receiver but not too good on portable devices, even with a headphone amp. If they get the power they blow everything else I've tried away.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Alright gents, I'm confident this has been answered already but here we go.

I'm looking into upgrading my gaming setup for 4K once I get home (January). I was thinking of a receiver to condense the innumerable inputs from consoles, OSSC, and HDMI devices. I know there are a ton of standards, gimmicks, and stuff for 4K, but I wanted to ask you guys if you are able to use whichever devices to play your retro and modern stuff on modern games.

Looking at the Denon AVR X3400H 7 2 channel AV Surround Receiver, as it was recommended by some youtubers but I also wanted to see if there were any better, more affordable devices that have proven to be successful in your experience. Any help would be awesome, especially if you can tell me your TV so I can snag it once the 2019 version comes out.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've got an Onkyo TX-NR656 that I picked up last year for $249.99 it's probably not as good as that Denon but it has a ton of HDMI ports and supports 4k and every audio codec known to man. I'm not as high flying as some of the people in this thread but I love it.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
I've got an Onkyo TX-NR656 that I picked up last year for $249.99 it's probably not as good as that Denon but it has a ton of HDMI ports and supports 4k and every audio codec known to man. I'm not as high flying as some of the people in this thread but I love it.

That actually looks really good and meets my needs at a cheaper price. Thanks!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I was just looking at the Denon again and one thing it does do that the Onkyo doesn't is video processing. The Onkyo can upscale HDMI content to 4k, but it can't scale analog content. I think you gotta go up a model or two to get video processing (Or just use the OSSC.)

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
I was just looking at the Denon again and one thing it does do that the Onkyo doesn't is video processing. The Onkyo can upscale HDMI content to 4k, but it can't scale analog content. I think you gotta go up a model or two to get video processing (Or just use the OSSC.)

That was the plan, to use the HDMI for PS4, 360, PS3, Wii U, GC, Xbox, and the Retrofreak. The OSSC would handle the older RGB systems like PS1, Saturn, N64, and the Supergun. The only outlier would be the PS2, which I can just use component and have it at it's native resolution.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
That was the plan, to use the HDMI for PS4, 360, PS3, Wii U, GC, Xbox, and the Retrofreak. The OSSC would handle the older RGB systems like PS1, Saturn, N64, and the Supergun. The only outlier would be the PS2, which I can just use component and have it at it's native resolution.
The PS2 can also look good on RGB (on a PVM). But as you said, you need to use component to get it's full resolution. Or maybe the PS2 games vary in terms of what resolution they run at. HDMI is about equivalent (as far as color fidelity) to RGB, both having better colors than component.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
PS2 doesnt need component to access 480p. It can get it with RGsB (sync on green)

Doesnt matter anyways because the PS2 has very few games that support resolutions higher then 480i

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
The prices on the Oppo 205s are INSANE now. Part of the Oppo appeal was that they're excellent performers for a relatively reasonable price. Now people are paying upwards of $3,000 for one of these. I can't imagine many people will drop off the wait list if their number comes up, you can flip and make yourself some easy cash. Hopefully Oppo fulfills every order on the wait list so the flippers are stuck w/something they're lucky to sell at cost.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
My buddy owed me $$$ and ended up getting my hands on a Tascam A580. Shit was out of the blue. If anyone wants tapes of my shit as mixes lmk.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Happened across a Sansui 9090DB. This thing is a fucking beast.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Recently had to drop my Marantz SR6008 receiver, after a few years it stopped turning on. Worked out since I just upgraded my tv to a 4K Sony 900E and the old receiver couldn't do 4K passthrough or upscaling.

It works well with gaming, very minimal input lag down to around 1 or 2 frames.

Have about 4 or 5 Rocketfish brand 4K HDMI selector switches connected to it, and have my HDMI based consoles connected to those broken down by brand in the input selection menu. Plays nicely with the Akura Box for my Dreamcast but The TV does not like the component to HDMI converter I grabbed off Amazon for my original Xbox, so that's connected directly to the TV component input. The HDMI selector (or maybe the receiver) does not get along with the GC Video HDMI adapter for the Gamecube, colors all turn red after a few boots but works correctly on the TV.

Component and S Video consoles are connected to the RetroTink line doubler after being split from a Aobelieve brand component switch.

Overall pretty happy with the TV and receivers ability to display and upscale content to 4K.

I also need a 4K Bluray player since my Pioneer BDP-80FD recently started powering itself off and on randomly, and that was just a standard bluray player too.

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Happened across a Sansui 9090DB. This thing is a fucking beast.

Sansui made the coolest looking components. I remember staring at my dad's glowing green reverb tank as a kid and being hypnotized.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Activo CT10 DAP with Sega Saturn branding...

sega_ct10_001.JPG

sega_ct10_002.JPG

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
ECE4EB15-2B7E-419C-9D52-4F82895DB115.jpeg

Picked up some KEF LS50 Wireless speaks. Pretty hot.