Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I've developed an irrational want for a Beosound 4 :---E

I still have it, super koll:
bobs_5.jpg

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Anyone have a trusty source for picking up a region free modded bluray player?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Anyone have a trusty source for picking up a region free modded bluray player?

I actually stumbled on one of these recently when looking for external USB Blu Ray players. I can't remember where though. Might be a good idea to look for some "best of external blu ray players". If you dont mind using a pc.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I know this is a bit of a shot in the dark...but would any of you be interested in a pair of my personal Straightwire Rhapsody S speaker cables? They're an 8' pair, terminated in spade connectors. Here's a link to a set on Amazon (mine are terminated differently):

https://www.amazon.com/Straightwire-Rhapsody-Speaker-Cables-Pair/dp/B007TKBB3O

Send me a PM if you are and we'll talk...I'm willing to let these go cheap.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I know this is somewhat off topic...but car audio...

The stock speakers in my 2014 Ram 1500 were just shit. They were loud enough, but god were they awful. Some people on a Ram forum suggested I look at some Kicker speakers as they make an OEM "upgrade" package.

I LOL'd...fucking Kicker. I used to be into car audio way back when (and I mean WAY BACK). Back then Kicker was shit sold at an Autozone.

Either way, I looked them up, they rated well and were dirt cheap. I paid some $35 and replaced my stock 3.5" dash speakers with them. To my shock, they sounded superb and were a vast upgrade over stock. 3 years later and they never caused me an issue and kept on ticking away.

I traded my '14 in on a '17 so I decided to replace the dash speakers once again. The model I bought back in '14 is no more and I decided to go with this set:

http://www.kicker.com/44KSC3504

$45/pr, good build quality, silk dome tweeter...they are a few lines up from what I had before. I popped them in Fri night and sure enough, massive improvement.

Long story short, I liked them so much that I'm swapping the door speakers with these:

http://www.kicker.com/44KSC6904

$120/pr...again, cheap.

I'll be putting them in next weekend...

Here's a shot of the difference in this speakers vs stock...its crazy how shitty stock speakers are...

3OsXORLl.jpg

0u8cms5l.jpg

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Got a custom made linear PSU and a new weight cause the concept clamp is way too light.

IMG_0798.JPG

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Oppo is calling it quits: https://oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx

I've had my BDP-93 for just over 6 years, zero problems with it and great performance. I'll likely scoop a UDP-203 as I've been debating it. Bummer to see them go, but many people are dropping physical media.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Fudge. Well thanks for the heads up got a 203, been meaning to upgrade my shit Samsung unit for a couple years and decided to pull the trigger.

Never heard a bad thing about Oppo stuff.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member

I've had my BDP-93 for just over 6 years, zero problems with it and great performance. I'll likely scoop a UDP-203 as I've been debating it. Bummer to see them go, but many people are dropping physical media.

Why not just get a cheapo Xbox One S for UHD discs?

I have heard good things about the UDP-203, but the price is pretty high for a small feature set.

madman

I have heard good things about the UDP-203, but the price is pretty high for a small feature set.

I've been happy with the picture from my BDP-93, it was much better than the Denon it replaced, so I have no reason to think the UDP-203 won't also be a great performer. Certainly there are cheaper options out there, but Oppo does (did) one thing and did it well.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The Xbox One S has not been ideal as an UHD player. Most of the time it works fine, but it stutters and freezes at certain points in certain movies. I'm considering a standalone player.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
The Xbox One S has not been ideal as an UHD player. Most of the time it works fine, but it stutters and freezes at certain points in certain movies. I'm considering a standalone player.

Hmm I wonder if the Xbox One X does any better then. It's really a shame we didn't get UHD support with the PS4 or PS4 Pro.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member

Because unlike the Xbox1 the Oppo should last me the remainder of using physical media. It's not a disposable piece of shit.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Hmm I wonder if the Xbox One X does any better then. It's really a shame we didn't get UHD support with the PS4 or PS4 Pro.

It really should be in the Pro, but I kinda see why it wasn't part of the PS4. PS2 was a no-brainer for a lot of families because of the DVD player. Same with PS3 and BluRay. But I don't think families - or even a lot of tech consumers in general - are that interested in UHD.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
It really should be in the Pro, but I kinda see why it wasn't part of the PS4. PS2 was a no-brainer for a lot of families because of the DVD player. Same with PS3 and BluRay. But I don't think families - or even a lot of tech consumers in general - are that interested in UHD.

It's their own fucking video format and their direct competitor has the feature on a lower priced machine. No excuses.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member

The thing is they knew they didn't need to include UHD support for the PS4 to sell well and they are trying to push their own digital download and streaming services as much as possible. They were right but it's a shame for the consumer. Afaik the PS4 can take BDXL (100gb) discs and the hardware is certainly capable of H265/HEVC playback, so it's really an artificial limitation more than anything.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The Blu-ray apps in both systems are identical, the only difference is that the X is faster.

I just bought a Sony UHD player to use instead of the Xbone. It is so much better in every way. I would have bought the Oppo but I couldn't swing quite that much cash.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
The Blu-ray apps in both systems are identical, the only difference is that the X is faster.

I just bought a Sony UHD player to use instead of the Xbone. It is so much better in every way. I would have bought the Oppo but I couldn't swing quite that much cash.

So does the X handle the problematic discs better than the S?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I never had any problems with disc playback from either one. I mostly just watched blurays though since the Bone doesn't handle HDR to SDR conversion very well in UHD discs.

madman

The 205s are now gone from Oppo and major online retailers.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,

Out of curiosity, I looked at what Oppo's are going for in the 2nd hand market. They are holding their value really well. It will be interesting to see what sealed units bring in the next 2 to 3 years. There are people that are still serious about physical media; I suspect they will drive up the prices over time. I switched to streaming video content years ago.

Overall, I think this was a dumb move on Oppo's part. They really had a good thing going and had already started branching out their product line. Their products are highly respected, so they would have credibility to do most anything they wanted with new products.

madman

Overall, I think this was a dumb move on Oppo's part. They really had a good thing going and had already started branching out their product line. Their products are highly respected, so they would have credibility to do most anything they wanted with new products.

I had no idea they were a large smartphone manufacturer, I imagine that's where the money is especially with streaming video becoming a big thing vs spinning discs. If the demand is there, someone will pick up the slack. You still have companies like Esoteric making 5 figure CD players, so I don't think DVD/blu-ray players will be going anywhere anytime soon.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I've had my 203 for a month or so and it's fucking awesome. Can't believe I waited so long to get a good BD/DVD player.

I also got the Vincent PH 701 phono pre-amp, should be here tomorrow, a big upgrade over my Project Tube Box.

Last edited: