Official A/V Thread

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
FSvZdGc.jpg

Had this Dual 621 fixed because it was a total wreck. The critical parts inside have all been replaced, should last another 40 years now.
Also new chassis (wood, piano black)
New cart (Ortofon 2M Red)
New light (now blue LED, used to be a bulb in orange before)
Chinch cables installed

The new chassis had no way to hold the lid, so I put two hinges on it. Put four rubber foam pads on it so the lid doesn't scratch the paint.
Very satisfied.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Looks good! Does the LED still allow the speed adjustment like the bulb did?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Sure does. It is a bit darker though due to being a LED and blue.
Main reason for replacing was the age of the bulb in that table, nearing 40 years of age (Dual 621's were build from 1976 to '78). The new LED should last for quite some time.

Last edited:

madman

Good stuff. I've learned to not give a fuck about dust covers anymore. They seem more hassle than they're worth. That black plinth you've got looks better than the OG one IMO.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I might get the original faux wood chassis of my other 621 replaced too. What's with 70's items and fake wood paneling anyway?

Last edited:

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Picking up a Pioneer CLD-D503 Laserdisc player tomorrow with a bunch of movies for 25 bucks. Player looks good, but has an issue where the tray keeps opening and closing. Had people tell me it's the belt, so I'll probably fix that. The fact that I don't have to drive out of town for it also sweetens the deal.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Just thought I would share this, my audio-technica LP120, less than two years old died on me today. I put very little use on the unit as most of the time I used my old Sanyo unit. Just used this one in the bedroom. I doubt it has over 50 hours play time on it.

Powers up, but won't spin anymore. I guess I just got a crappy one, but anyhow, now in the market for a different unit.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Just thought I would share this, my audio-technica LP120, less than two years old died on me today. I put very little use on the unit as most of the time I used my old Sanyo unit. Just used this one in the bedroom. I doubt it has over 50 hours play time on it.

Powers up, but won't spin anymore. I guess I just got a crappy one, but anyhow, now in the market for a different unit.

RIP Brotha....

Sorry to hear than man.

Not powering on or not spinning?

I assume you checked to see if the PSU is faulty?

I looked online and there is "possibly" motor issues with that model. That was just one youtube video though.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
Yeah, I think it is the motor. It powers up but won't spin anymore. I'm going to contact the company and try to see what it will cost to get it fixed versus just buying a different player. If it is going to cost too much to have fixed I may end up popping it open and see if it is something I can do myself, if I can get the parts.

I know a few of the fellows here have that same model, so hopefully they have better luck with theirs.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
I'm going to mess with it later. Just a little too disgruntled to fool with it at the moment.

I can send it to the factory and they will give me an estimate to fix it, or I can just try to figure it out myself. I noticed though when I was unhooking it that it kind of had a funky smell going on. So I think maybe something burnt out or such.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I'm looking for suggestions on getting FLAC files to play through my integrated amplifier.

my Marantz PM-5004
http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=HiFiComponents&ProductId=PM5004

I'm not exactly sure how to do this. I was looking online and some people say it's possible, some say it's not. Basically it says I can use a 3.5 to RCA cord, but that it can cause issues, so I need something else.

I would just like to use a reasonably priced DAP like a FiiO X5 3rd gen if possible since I would like to take it on the road with me.

Would this be possible with my amp? And if so please post links to any cables and such I may need. Thanks.

madman

You can use the headphone out and the cable as you mentioned though it's less than ideal. You don't have any digital inputs on your amp, you may want to look into one of the compact USB DACs that are out there like the Schiit Modi 2 or ifi nano idsd LE.

Edit: This assumes you meant you are using your computer as the source.

Last edited:

Darkness

n00b
Yes, any DAC with a USB input should do the trick, assuming the source is a computer. Might want to splurge a bit to get a good DAC, instead of going for the cheapest option possible. If you buy used, you could get a great DAC for much less, of course.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Planning to do some upgrades...Right now im looking into getting a new receiver.

My choices are

Marantz NR1607
https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-Channel-Surround-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B01EHWFCRM

Yamaha rx-v781
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-v781_u/index.html

Sony STR-DN1080
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-VtuLm...&awnw=s&awcr=216849568680&awdv=c&awug=9057160

This will be for my home theater & plan to try out those atmos setups. Which one should i get?

Also got myself an LG OLED tv coming in October.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Planning to do some upgrades...Right now im looking into getting a new receiver.

My choices are

Marantz NR1607
https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-Channel-Surround-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B01EHWFCRM

Yamaha rx-v781
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-v781_u/index.html

Sony STR-DN1080
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-VtuLm...&awnw=s&awcr=216849568680&awdv=c&awug=9057160

This will be for my home theater & plan to try out those atmos setups. Which one should i get?

Also got myself an LG OLED tv coming in October.

This may be old data...so take it for what it is worth.

Going from what I know...I'd list the brands in first to last just like you have it there. This is looking at lower end models like you've listed, not so much the high end gear.

Marantz tends to have a warmer sound, there's often more ass to drive the more difficult mid bass range. Their process is good, not amazing, but they often skip the bullshit filters many receiver have.

Yamaha is brighter. They offer detailed sound, but often lack the mid bass power supplies to properly drive mid speakers. They love their fucking DSPs...and most are gimmicky as all hell.

Sony? Fuck Sony.

You want my opinion? Look here:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/975.html

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/5000.html

$1150 and it would blow away any of the all-in-ones you listed.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
This may be old data...so take it for what it is worth.

Going from what I know...I'd list the brands in first to last just like you have it there. This is looking at lower end models like you've listed, not so much the high end gear.

Marantz tends to have a warmer sound, there's often more ass to drive the more difficult mid bass range. Their process is good, not amazing, but they often skip the bullshit filters many receiver have.

Yamaha is brighter. They offer detailed sound, but often lack the mid bass power supplies to properly drive mid speakers. They love their fucking DSPs...and most are gimmicky as all hell.

Sony? Fuck Sony.

You want my opinion? Look here:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/975.html

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/5000.html

$1150 and it would blow away any of the all-in-ones you listed.

Just reading up i dont think those do 4k or atmos/dts-x surround. Not planning to spend more then $600.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Just reading up i dont think those do 4k or atmos/dts-x surround. Not planning to spend more then $600.

Yeah...the $600 will stunt you...

I will say this though...stuff is only as good as the equipment is played on. Unless you have a VERY high end display, or a massive screen, 4K just isn't worth the effort. Ultra high WDR 4K on a reference $11K display? Maybe.

Atmos, DTS-X...again, unless you have very high end stuff, you're probably not going to tell the difference. You also need a very sound treated room and high quality speakers unless you want a giant wall of noise.

In short...running 4K on a run of the mill display (like most of us all have), on a $600 receiver, with mid/low level speakers in an untreated room...you're not going to get any of the benefits of the potential.

I'm not trying to bust balls...but I saw it a ton back in my time. Guys would listen to a reference 5.1 system only to buy low end speakers and a mediocre all in one receiver and then complain how mediocre it sounded...

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Yeah...the $600 will stunt you...

I will say this though...stuff is only as good as the equipment is played on. Unless you have a VERY high end display, or a massive screen, 4K just isn't worth the effort. Ultra high WDR 4K on a reference $11K display? Maybe.

Atmos, DTS-X...again, unless you have very high end stuff, you're probably not going to tell the difference. You also need a very sound treated room and high quality speakers unless you want a giant wall of noise.

In short...running 4K on a run of the mill display (like most of us all have), on a $600 receiver, with mid/low level speakers in an untreated room...you're not going to get any of the benefits of the potential.

I'm not trying to bust balls...but I saw it a ton back in my time. Guys would listen to a reference 5.1 system only to buy low end speakers and a mediocre all in one receiver and then complain how mediocre it sounded...

My budget is $600 not $600 receivers...The ones i listed have new models that came out having a huge price drop on them due to them being slightly older models but still has the new things i need bluetooth, atmos/4k. I've been happy with my old setup that i've had over 10 years. Only reason why im upgrading is because i need another receiver for the living room. Since im going to replace it, might as well have a more modern receiver that's tailored to the new technology.

I've gone to home theaters stores in the past & they have it all setup for display/sound & i couldn't justify the difference in spending thousands dollar more, kind of like im not going to spend $200+ for gamecube component when s-video on my pvm looks fine.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
@ HDRchampion - Smokehouse ain't blowing smoke up your ass. Of what you listed I would go with the Yamaha. Everything I have owned by them has been rock solid and performed well. I do differ on the suggestion of Outlaw audio, I would suggest Parasound. Either option will demand a higher level of commitment and you'll need to be serous before you take that big of a plunge when put in the perspective of a $600 budget.

How big is the room you would be using this in? What's more import music or movies? You might be just as or more satisfied with a 2.1 setup and simply forgo the extra stuff required for 5.1.

Last edited:

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
@ HDRchampion - Smokehouse ain't blowing smoke up your ass. Of what you listed I would go with the Yamaha. Everything I have owned by them has been rock solid and performed well. I do differ on the suggestion of Outlaw audio, I would suggest Parasound. Either option will demand a higher level of commitment and you'll need to be serous before you take that big of a plunge when put in the perspective of a $600 budget.

How big is the room you would be using this in? What's more import music or movies? You might be just as or more satisfied with a 2.1 setup and simply forgo the extra stuff required for 5.1.

How much should i spend on a receiver?

Right now i have dedicated home theater for watching movies. i could care less about music. The room size is 10x24 i think. Im not audiophile, so im just going by what i have enjoyed for over a decade. Im more of bang for your buck type of guy as i have other priorities to put money on.

My current setup is 5.1 surround (2 towers at the front w/ center & then rear speakers). I plan to add atmos speaker fronts for the 5.1.2 or maybe even 5.1.4 to see how it goes.

tjcSURU.jpg

u4JfI5x.jpg

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
How much should i spend on a receiver?

Right now i have dedicated home theater for watching movies. i could care less about music. The room size is 10x24 i think. Im not audiophile, so im just going by what i have enjoyed for over a decade. Im more of bang for your buck type of guy as i have other priorities to put money on.

My current setup is 5.1 surround (2 towers at the front w/ center & then rear speakers). I plan to add atmos speaker fronts for the 5.1.2 or maybe even 5.1.4 to see how it goes.

tjcSURU.jpg

u4JfI5x.jpg

Do you have a Best Buy with a Magnolia audio video inside?
They always have returns/ open box receivers for great prices. On many occasions people second guess a purchase, or do instant upgrades and buy a more expensive item without really ever trying out there original purchase.
Additionally, you still can haggle for a lower price there, and items come with full warranty.

Here is the Yamaha you are looking at refurbished from factory for $399.00

Accessories4less.com always has great deals.
I have bought from them, and then get a square trade extended warranty, and I am set.

Last edited: