Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Woah, kerndizzle coming out of nowhere.

23L Classics.

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Nice, always liked Quad stuff. Hard to go wrong with it.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I will be if you sell me some cheap neo games :)

Haha... Nothing cheap left in my stuffs...

However... the Neosd is out... it's all you will ever need...

xROTx

PS. I am glad to see you... honestly...

Life is WAY too short atm...

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I need to keep remembering to read and post more :)

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
My friend gave me a MiniDisc player (a portable one). I've always wanted one and am pumped to finally have one. I need to dig out my Windows laptop so I can drop some files onto it and bring it to work for when I'm not listening to podcasts.

For me, it's just the novelty of it. Some people like MDs because they don't cause the music equivalent of ROM-induced option paralysis, but I've actually never had that issue with an iPod. I pick an album and listen to it the whole way through.

Has anyone here tried those Fiio players? I have my ALAC library (about 300 albums) on my iMac. I'm wondering if I'd hear any improvement if I dropped everything onto one of those.

Also, I got a pair of JBL LSR305s for my office. We're starting to have clients come in for live video editing sessions, so I figure we can justify monitors over shitty iMac audio. If I really like them, I might order a pair for myself.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
My friend gave me a MiniDisc player (a portable one). I've always wanted one and am pumped to finally have one. I need to dig out my Windows laptop so I can drop some files onto it and bring it to work for when I'm not listening to podcasts.

For me, it's just the novelty of it. Some people like MDs because they don't cause the music equivalent of ROM-induced option paralysis, but I've actually never had that issue with an iPod. I pick an album and listen to it the whole way through.

Has anyone here tried those Fiio players? I have my ALAC library (about 300 albums) on my iMac. I'm wondering if I'd hear any improvement if I dropped everything onto one of those.

Also, I got a pair of JBL LSR305s for my office. We're starting to have clients come in for live video editing sessions, so I figure we can justify monitors over shitty iMac audio. If I really like them, I might order a pair for myself.

I have a 1st gen Fiio X3 and it's fantastic. It has a Wolfson DAC and it is powerful enough to drive 300 Ohm cans, so you should definitely hear an improvement in your audio.

P.S.- Welcome back, kern!!!

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah I had plenty of MD players from everywhere but they all ended breaking at one point or another except the actual Sony CD/MD Hi-Fi unit. That was a tank. All the portable shit crapped out.

Dope format tho for track editing of live music and playlists.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've got a Fiio X1 and a headphone amp to drive my big cans on occasion. It's freaking awesome!

I don't notice a difference between flac and high quality mp3s on most portable uses, but if I hook it up to my receiver it sounds just as good as a good cd player, and better than a bad one. The line out is super clean.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Awesome. I think I'm going to snag an X3 2nd gen soon, since it sounds like the sound quality difference between the X3 and X5 are minimal, especially considering the X5 is double the price. Do you just drag and drop files onto the SD card and you're good to go?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
As long as you make sure the micro sd card is formatted correctly first (Fat32 iirc), you're good to go. I believe all the players support internal formatting, so just do that first and then you're ready to drag and drop. Windows should recognize the player so you don't even have to take the card out of the player.

Oh, and I use a 200GB card and it isn't even enough for my music collection, lol. You'll definitely want the biggest card you can get.

One more thing, those 24-bit 192kHz files that they like to sell on HD Tracks are overkill. If you're going to go hi-res stick to 24-bit, but don't worry about the sample rate as it doesn't matter over 44.1 really. You hear the biggest improvement in the jump from 16 to 24-bit.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Gotcha. Sounds simple enough. The website says it takes cards up to 128GB but that info is probably outdated. I was reading that a firmware update to the X3 improved the audio quality like crazy and fixed a bunch of features.

Yeah, TBH, the type of music I like has yet to catch onto the high res thing and I don't know if they'll ever bother to. The only album on HD Tracks that I'd consider buying is The Shape of Punk to Come. I'll probably pick it up just for comparison's sake.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Gotcha. Sounds simple enough. The website says it takes cards up to 128GB but that info is probably outdated. I was reading that a firmware update to the X3 improved the audio quality like crazy and fixed a bunch of features.

Yeah, TBH, the type of music I like has yet to catch onto the high res thing and I don't know if they'll ever bother to. The only album on HD Tracks that I'd consider buying is The Shape of Punk to Come. I'll probably pick it up just for comparison's sake.

Yeah, the newest firmwares across the players should support 200GB cards, it does on my X3 at least.

Definitely give hi res files a try, they are pretty amazing. Before you spend money, there's always 24/96 or 24/192 vinyl rips on torrent sites, most of them are made from brand new LP's on high end turntables and are very well done.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
So I bent over backwards getting my MD player up and running on my Win7 machine. Workflow is hilariously outdated, obviously, but I love it. The only problem is that the playback is skipping. Oddly enough, it's always skipping at the same points in the songs. So I'm really not sure if the culprit is the disc itself or the player. I'll hunt down some blanks on eBay and try to figure it out.

Sound quality is surprisingly good. Not quite CD quality but better than YouTube :lolz: and the novelty factor is awesome.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

When I bought mine the support forum basically said that the 128 GB limit was only there because they hadn't thoroughly tested larger cards, but users were reporting that larger cards worked fine.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
When I bought mine the support forum basically said that the 128 GB limit was only there because they hadn't thoroughly tested larger cards, but users were reporting that larger cards worked fine.

Good info - thanks!

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I have re-arranged my surround system, by way of switches, to allow me to use the 5.1 on two different TVs, but not at once. It is not complete, I still need to wire up the components from the 4:3 TV.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
So I bent over backwards getting my MD player up and running on my Win7 machine. Workflow is hilariously outdated, obviously, but I love it. The only problem is that the playback is skipping. Oddly enough, it's always skipping at the same points in the songs. So I'm really not sure if the culprit is the disc itself or the player. I'll hunt down some blanks on eBay and try to figure it out.

Sound quality is surprisingly good. Not quite CD quality but better than YouTube :lolz: and the novelty factor is awesome.

Frickin' love minidiscs. I really thought that format had a lot going for it.

Are you using ATRAC compression? Because otherwise it sholuld be CD quality.

One of these days I want to pick up one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.XSony+MZ-RH1.TRS0&_nkw=Sony+MZ-RH1&_sacat=0

The fucking king of all MD players :drool:

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
STEP YALL GAME UP

I've worked with this exact setup before only minus the custom JBL 12-driver in-ear monitors.. (Audeze LCD-2 instead) it sounds sharper than anything else I've ever heard by far.

ITS GOT RARE EARF METALS AND SHIT INSIDE IT THATS HOW YOU KNOW ITS LEGIT.

http://en.antelopeaudio.com/2015/08...lobetrotting-mastering-engineer-glenn-schick/

2zHfwIB.jpg

Dhh2fZq.jpg

hGg40Of.jpg