Official A/V Thread

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Does that even have a phono stage?

It does not.

Fatman gear is about as cheap as they come for tubes.

Tube audio is not cheap. The actual tubes used can make or break the equipment. Stay away from the Chinese made tubes. I just sold a set of Russian made Electro-Harmonix; bad mirophonics and the noise floor was way too high. The best tubes are usually American made....usually.

The NAD PP-2 is a nice phono-pre @ $130. No need to spend too much more, unless you have a very nice turntable.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
It does not.

Fatman gear is about as cheap as they come for tubes.

Tube audio is not cheap. The actual tubes used can make or break the equipment. Stay away from the Chinese made tubes. I just sold a set of Russian made Electro-Harmonix; bad mirophonics and the noise floor was way too high. The best tubes are usually American made....usually.

The NAD PP-2 is a nice phono-pre @ $130. No need to spend too much more, unless you have a very nice turntable.

I don't yet. When I get the money to buy the amp I'll probably try and get something around $500 as far as a turntable goes.

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/86921

These look pretty nice. There is a full auto Denon that I wanted, but I'm afraid it might be a little lack luster as far as sound goes.

Neo Ash

I don't yet. When I get the money to buy the amp I'll probably try and get something around $500 as far as a turntable goes.

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/86921

These look pretty nice. There is a full auto Denon that I wanted, but I'm afraid it might be a little lack luster as far as sound goes.

That NAD will be perfectly fine for a turntable in that price range.

Stay away form the fully automatic stuff.

Pro-Ject is nice.

The Rega P1 uses the exact same cartridge for $400 and will sound every bit as good.

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
sorry, but i'm an audiophile deviant.
newer is not necessarily better in my experience. in fact,
for the most part, i'm rather old-school all the way...

my ancient-ass A/V system:

Pioneer_Sign.jpg

PIONEER VSX-D1S TOTL 130w/ch. A/V Stereo Receiver (1990)
PIONEER PD-3000 Reference Compact Disc Player (1987) (JPN market version of U.S. market PD-91)
PIONEER PD-M90X Reference Multi-Play CD Player (1987) (the very first REFERENCE/ELITE multi-play CDP)
PIONEER CT-S800 (1988) full-featured TOTL Single-Well LaserAmorphous-Head cassette deck, with casted-iron transformer
PIONEER DV-09 Reference DVD Player (1997)
PIONEER CLD-3030 TOTL Compatible Laser Disc Player (1988)
PIONEER GR-777 Ten Band Stereo Graphic Equalizer (1988) (TOTL remote controllable EQ with dual spectrum display)
PIONEER CS-G503 Four-Way Stereo Loudspeaker System (199?)
PIONEER SE-305 Stereo Headphones (1974)
PIONEER MR-100 Multi-Room IR Receiver (1989)
PIONEER CU-MR100 Remote Control Unit (1989)
PIONEER CU-AV70 Programmable Remote Control Unit (1988)
PIONEER CU-AV100 Programmable Remote Control Unit (1988)
PIONEER CU-AV200 Programmable Remote Control Unit (1989)

-MISC.-

ELAC MIRACORD 46 Direct Drive Phonograph Turntable (197?)
DENON DCD-1500 CD player (1986) (heavily upgraded, Dual-Mono output TOTL)
PIONEER PD-M6 Multi-CD player (1986) (the very first PIONEER magazine CD changer)
JVC HR-S8000U S-VHS VCR (1988)
MITSUBISHI HS-U70 S-VHS VCR (1988)
ROLAND BOSS BR-1180 Hard Disk Digital Audio Recorder (2002)
JVC RM-S1 Universal Programmable Touch-Panel Remote Control (1988)

-PIC-

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/MACGYVER SYSTEM 9-3-09/MacGSYSTEM9-3-09.jpg

Last edited:

Neo Ash

Whatever works for you dude. There is a sharp difference between quality desirable vintage gear and run-of-the-mill old equipment.

No, you're a pedophile deviant.

GTFO
While your opinion may or may not be accurate. Let's try to keep this thread on the right track....helping members with A/V related questions and issues.

Good chance you are in fact correct Kan.

aria

Former Moderator
I wanted to add a basic, but good sound system to my house, with sound on two floors (mostly because I've seen it work pretty well at friends' places when they have a party), so I did some online research and settled on a pair of Sonos ZonePlayer S5s. I didn't need to buy a ZoneBridge, as one of the speakers could be placed within ethernet cable range of my wifi router (the other just needs to be plugged in). The set up was very easy. In lieu of spending money on a remote, I downloaded the free app to turn my iPhone into the music controller (a very nice option of them to include), and I must say that I'm really pleased --I can easily set separate volumes, separate songs, internet radio, music from my computer (I need to buy a simple NAS for my music collection to skip the need for that), etc. The music does a good job filling the rooms (it helps I have a very open floorplan, my house is basically like a loft).

The whole set-up cost under $800.

Here was the CNET review that helped talk me into it (along with the NYT and a few other sources):
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-audio-receivers-dars/sonos-zoneplayer-s5/4505-6470_7-33788426.html

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Does anyone make a pair of decent over ear bluetooth headphones?

I hate sitting here with wires all over me when I listen to music.

SSS

neo retired
52" BRAVIA LCD
some cheapo Pioneer 5.1 surround setup (might have to get a different brand now seeing how doll dicker seems to favor this brand)

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member

Pioneer_Sign.jpg

PIONEER VSX-D1S TOTL 130w/ch. A/V Stereo Receiver (1990)
PIONEER PD-3000 Reference Compact Disc Player (1987) (JPN market version of U.S. market PD-91)
PIONEER PD-M90X Reference Multi-Play CD Player (1987) (the very first REFERENCE/ELITE multi-play CDP)
PIONEER CT-S800 (1988) full-featured TOTL Single-Well LaserAmorphous-Head cassette deck, with casted-iron transformer
PIONEER DV-09 Reference DVD Player (1997)
PIONEER CLD-3030 TOTL Compatible Laser Disc Player (1988)
PIONEER GR-777 Ten Band Stereo Graphic Equalizer (1988) (TOTL remote controllable EQ with dual spectrum display)
PIONEER CS-G503 Four-Way Stereo Loudspeaker System (199?)
PIONEER SE-305 Stereo Headphones (1974)
PIONEER MR-100 Multi-Room IR Receiver (1989)
PIONEER CU-MR100 Remote Control Unit (1989)
PIONEER CU-AV70 Programmable Remote Control Unit (1988)
PIONEER CU-AV100 Programmable Remote Control Unit (1988)
PIONEER CU-AV200 Programmable Remote Control Unit (1989)

-MISC.-

ELAC MIRACORD 46 Direct Drive Phonograph Turntable (197?)
DENON DCD-1500 CD player (1986) (heavily upgraded, Dual-Mono output TOTL)
PIONEER PD-M6 Multi-CD player (1986) (the very first PIONEER magazine CD changer)
JVC HR-S8000U S-VHS VCR (1988)
MITSUBISHI HS-U70 S-VHS VCR (1988)
ROLAND BOSS BR-1180 Hard Disk Digital Audio Recorder (2002)
JVC RM-S1 Universal Programmable Touch-Panel Remote Control (1988)

-PIC-

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/MACGYVER SYSTEM 9-3-09/MacGSYSTEM9-3-09.jpg

Thats nice but my modern 2 box system would smash the absolute shit out of it regarding sound quality. :cool:

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Is there an over ear version? On ear never feels comfortable to me.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Guess Ill just get a pair of Sony ones. Not buying anymore sport wrap or bud pieces of shit, dont care what brand they are.

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
Thats nice but my modern 2 box system would smash the absolute shit out of it regarding sound quality. :cool:

oh? come on over and give it a listen.
you just might be rather surprised...

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
A/V nerds I want your help.

Earlier today I was given some Sennheiser HD 560 "Ovation II" headphones. Looking online, they have an impedance of 300 Ohms. I've hooked it up to my laptop and to my iPod (5.5G running Rockbox) and I can't get a desirable bass response out of it. It definitely goes low, and those low tones sound real rich, but the bass is extremely quiet.

Am I just screwed unless I get a headphone amp?

SSS

neo retired

you'd have to do some toy shopping before hand to get him a new present as a "thanks for lettin me hang with you, dude". make sure you give him the doll outside the line of sight of his waifu, she might get uppity.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
you'd have to do some toy shopping before hand to get him a new present as a "thanks for lettin me hang with you, dude". make sure you give him the doll outside the line of sight of his waifu, she might get uppity.

I would make sure to buy each of his dolls a new dress as a welcoming gift :emb:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Plugged my headphones into my desktop, and it definitely seems to work better. Bass is still a bit weak for my liking, but I think I hear an increase. I'll probably A/B(/C) test it this weekend with my ipod, laptop and desktop just to make sure I'm not hearing things.

An amp will make them sing; expect to spend a couple hundred dollars.
A friend of mine has a cmoy amp, I will probably borrow his sometime soon and see if I like it, and I guess I'll build one if I do. Thing is a friend of mine kinda accidentally stole my soldering iron, so I'd be out that expense if I end up wanting to build my own (unless I get it back, but he lives an hour away...).

Meanwhile I'm eyeing that cheapo Fiio E5. The users on head-fi seem to like the brand, but those guys seem really excitable, so I'm skeptical as to if it's as amazing as everyone says it is. But for $20 shipped on Amazon (and I have a handful of credit there with a bit more on the way) I may as well try it out.

Also this is my third set of Sennheisers, I think I am getting sick of these 10 foot long cords. I wound it up to about 6 feet long with some velcro wrap, but it looks ugly. I'd make my own shorter cable if I could find those weird connectors:
600-connector-300x260.jpg

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Ninjas please.

sound quality, embrace the LP

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I can't be arsed with vinyl too much of a ballache.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
One day maybe, I have no phono inputs on my system so I'd need the matching pre-amp even before a turntable. :crying: