Official A/V Thread

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I just scored a nearly complete Panasonic SC-HT900 set on the cheap.

I have noobish question. The subwoofer is powered. It has 5 speaker ports (2 front 2 back 1 center) It has a power supply and a special 25 pin cable that powers the 5 disc DVD player. It has no RCA ports that I can find.

Is there any trick I can use to hook this up to my amp.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I just scored a nearly complete Panasonic SC-HT900 set on the cheap.

I have noobish question. The subwoofer is powered. It has 5 speaker ports (2 front 2 back 1 center) It has a power supply and a special 25 pin cable that powers the 5 disc DVD player. It has no RCA ports that I can find.

Is there any trick I can use to hook this up to my amp.

Looks like a really nice set. I just looked it up. It appears to me though, that this is a self contained system that you cannot use with a different receiver/amplifier

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Over the weekend I installed some room treatments by Auralex Acoustic in my dedicated listening room. I've been very pleased with their products. For the most part the room is finished. I do, however, need to finalize the placement for the ceiling panels and bass traps. The wife has already said I can't do this for the home theater. :(

View attachment 6386

Man, my digital camera sucks.

Very, very nice! Is that a vacuum tube amp I see there? I am thinking about getting one down the road for my SL1500, but I'm torn between looking for something vintage or going with a new one..

Any thoughts/experiences?

EDIT: NM, I am checking out Audio Research's web site now. (I replied before I read the rest of the page)

Last edited:

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,

EDIT: NM, I am checking out Audio Research's web site now. (I replied before I read the rest of the page)

If you're a 1st time tube owner, do not buy an ARC. Setting the bias when/if you replace the tubes ranges from somewhat difficult to fuck it I'm sending it in to let the service department replace them. I'm not knocking ARC by any means, I love their products. However, be warned that bias adjustments can require probing around in the amp with a multimeter, attempting to hit all the the correct and only the correct points that are often not well marked if they are even marked at all; one more thing you're doing all this while the amp is powered up. When sending an amp to them for a retube plan to spend $1000 and UP.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Looks like a really nice set. I just looked it up. It appears to me though, that this is a self contained system that you cannot use with a different receiver/amplifier

Yeah that's what I figured. So I guess i'll only be using it to to play DVDs then. Eh well it was still a great deal.

Went ahead and wired the speakers up in series to my amp. Sounds great.

Last edited:

Neo Ash

Now that I have some time - posting this info for the community....

Quicksilver Audio. I have auditioned and owned Quicksilver gear. It was probably one of the cheapest amps I've every owned. However, they perform well beyond their price point...believe me. In fact I wish I still had my Quicksilver gear and would buy it again. They nail the midrange. A lot of different EL34 tubes to pick from. There's no biasing the tubes, the amp takes care of that for you. They are the prefect amp for someone new to tubes. They are conservative in their design and do not run the tubes hard. Good tubes will last damn near forever in them. Even after the amp has been on for hours you can grab an output tube and it's only slightly warm...no burnt flesh. The best part is they are so affordable you will most likely consider ordering a new pair. Great company that stands behind what they make. I have spoken with Mike Sanders the owner and chief designer on the phone a couple of occasions; a real nice guy.

Here's the link to the thread terry.330 started where I posted them. Beautiful amps visually and sonically.
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showth...=1#post3346743

Rogue Audio. I have auditioned or owned all most all of the Rogue products. Excellent price to performance ration across the product line. Great build quality and fit and finish from their entry level products to the more expensive ones. Take a look at the Sphinx, it's a very affordable tube hybrid integrated. This is a new product, I have not had the opportunity to listen to it. It is a hybrid solid state tube unit. Maintenance is very easy with all their products. I talked to Mark O'Brien over the phone when I had my Rogue gear; the customer service is awesome.

Here's a link to the thread where I posted my Rogue preamp and Rogue monoblock amps. Yes, they are tube amps.
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showth...=1#post3444408

Last edited:

Neo Ash

What? No sticky?

OK...which mod hates good a/v talk???:shame:

Rot - Thanks for fixing the sticky.

Last edited:

miisalo

Astra Superstar
I have several A/V and gaming equipment.

In our living room we have 50" panasonic plasma, don't remember the model, but two years old middle range product, onkyo nr709 A/V amplifier, infinity kappa sub, 5 infinity cascade speakers (2 x cascade 9, 2 x 3V and 3C). I have there PS3 as bd player and my kids play there.

In our upstairs living room we have older 40" samsung LCD and wii and some noname 23" monitor/tv for kid's pc.

In our bedroom we have panasonic pt-ae2000 projector and audio pro active speakers used just sometimes to watch tv, these are normally just hidden under the bed.

Not quite a/v equipment but in my hobby / workroom I have my gaming pc, Amiga 500 and Amiga 1200, 25 years old Luxor tv for amiga 500, old 20" viewsonic 4:3 display for A1200 and HP 3065 30" monitor and logitech G35 headset for pc.

Then there is my gaming room - I think pictures tell more than thousand words, here is slideshow about the building process. There is btw. floating floor there and the air ventilation goes under the floor. Pictures are also missing some of the acoustic elements.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93434399@N03/sets/72157632917776141/show/

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
I'm looking to get a nice pair of floor standing speakers more so for music over HT. I was at BB today and out of the three brands represented I preferred the Martin Logan Motion series over BW counterparts. I was about to drop in the neighborhood 2 grand on the pair, but thought I should run it by people here first.

I listen mostly to classical music with classic rock/jazz sprinklings. Any suggestions?

Neo Ash

I'm looking to get a nice pair of floor standing speakers more so for music over HT. I was at BB today and out of the three brands represented I preferred the Martin Logan Motion series over BW counterparts. I was about to drop in the neighborhood 2 grand on the pair, but thought I should run it by people here first.

I listen mostly to classical music with classic rock/jazz sprinklings. Any suggestions?

What is your room size and associated equipment?

I have listened to the Motion line and didn't care for them. The ESL was a lot a better. The Ethos and Theos were the only ones that did anything for me. However, at that price point there are other speakers I'd rather own.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
What is your room size and associated equipment?

Right that's pretty important info I missed.

It'd be for a living room 19' x 14' with eight foot ceilings. Using it with a Yamaha receiver model # RX-V675
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V67...qid=1394514636&sr=1-1&keywords=yamaha+rx-v675

I play mostly CDs on a older Marantz carousel player.

The speakers would be facing across the couch on the 14' side of the living room. Between couch and old radiators my house has, you only will be sitting about 9' from the speakers.

Neo Ash

Right that's pretty important info I missed.

It'd be for a living room 19' x 14' with eight foot ceilings. Using it with a Yamaha receiver model # RX-V675
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V67...qid=1394514636&sr=1-1&keywords=yamaha+rx-v675

I play mostly CDs on a older Marantz carousel player.

The speakers would be facing across the couch on the 14' side of the living room. Between couch and old radiators my house has, you only will be sitting about 9' from the speakers.

I'm assuming that with a 7.1 receiver you already have some sort of surround sound setup. If your receiver has a true 2nd zone you can use that for the floor standers. Be aware that not all receivers have a true 2nd zone. Test and experiment with what you have. I also prefer floor standing speakers when ever possible, because stand mounted speakers save little to zero floor space. I originally had a few suggestions that came to mind. However, many of them were 4ohm speakers and if I had to guess you amp will not like more than a 6ohm load (but do consult your manual). There really is not a better more affordable floor standing speaker than the Vandersteen 1ci. It's an easy load and your receiver should have no problem driving them. These speakers will also be able to keep up with any associated electronics upgrades made in the system for a very very long time. If you don't have a dealer near by, PM me and I'll pass on some contacts that can help you out. Be sure to hit up some hifi shops and do some listening; let your ears be the judge.

If you have matched speaker across you front sound stage (R, Center, L). Do not just replaced the left and right speakers, leaving the center unchanged. For HT you will want to maintain the timber matching. So replace all three or add two additional speakers for music; that is the only correct way to accomplish your goal.

Neo Ash

Well guys, not all is well in ole Ash's hifi world. My ungodly expensive Audio Research amp has officially shit the bed. I'm suspecting it's the power supply.:oh_no: I'll know more after I drop it off at my local ARC dealer. Needless to say....I'm pissed.

Stay tuned changes may be on the way. Right before I purchased that amp I was strongly considering getting a new Bryston from my nearest dealer. Man...that 20 year warranty is very tempting.

For right now, a vintage McIntosh is filling in for the ARC.

Last edited:

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
YOOOO AV PEOPLE!! LAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDIIIIIISSSSCCCCCCC MUTTTTTAAAFUUUUCCKKKAAAASSS1!!

LDROCKY.jpg

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
@Neo Ash: Sucks man, I know what it's like when I had to ship my amp back to the manufacturer twice. At least you can drop yours off at a local dealer.

@Mikey: What player do you have? LD is still awesome, can't beat those big jackets and art. Hit up local resale shops and CL lots of people dumping entire collections for peanuts. Also make sure you get yourself a set of the OG Star Wars trilogy and a couple of Criterions.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
@Neo Ash: Sucks man, I know what it's like when I had to ship my amp back to the manufacturer twice. At least you can drop yours off at a local dealer.

@Mikey: What player do you have? LD is still awesome, can't beat those big jackets and art. Hit up local resale shops and CL lots of people dumping entire collections for peanuts. Also make sure you get yourself a set of the OG Star Wars trilogy and a couple of Criterions.

I just have an old piece of shit school player, but I got it with like 40 flicks from a guy at work. I think they're tits as well, and would love to grab a nice one that does dual side, but it's one of those things I won't sink cash into. If a good one ever comes up locally for a steal of a deal I'll be on it. Ash & Bubba were helping me out with this one a while back, and enlightened me on the higher-end players - holy shit, people pay decent coin for those fuckers.

Neo Ash

Well guys my Audio Research amp is still in the shop. I dropped it off over two weeks ago. I was informed that I could be without it for a month. On top of that I was given a repair estimate of $500 and possibly as much as $1000. Needless to say, I was not very thrilled, as this is annoying on several levels. My dealer was kind enough to offer a loaner amp, but I have other amps so that was not necessary and I wasn't feeling that lucky at the time.

With all that said a few days ago I came home with these packages…..

bryston.jpg

My Audio Research preamp is also gone; I traded it in at my Bryston dealer. My ARC amp…whenever it’s finally repaired…will likely be on the chopping block also. What really gets me is this stuff is not exactly cheap mass market stuff. I know anything can break…but damn…this is not vintage gear. The possibility of spending up to $1000 on repair was sort of the last straw. Now I don’t have to worry with that, because everything is covered by Bryston’s full coverage 20 year warranty. Everything is built like a tank! Over the years I have owned a lot of gear from different manufactures. I have on more than one occasion felt frustrated with equipment that was virtually impossible to get service/repair. So, the Bryston warranty and unprecedented customer service and support are nice. The most difficult choice was whether to go with black or silver. I went with silver as I felt it was more complementary. My wife had an initial reaction of "wow...those are pretty".:oh_no:

For amplification, I chose the 3B SST(squared). This amp is more than enough for my small listening room. The sound I’m getting from this amp is nothing short of astonishing. The naturalness, accuracy, and expansive soundstage is simply fantastic. The mids are smooth and truthful. The highs have excellent extension maintaining accuracy and control, never breaking up or becoming shrill. The improvements in the bass were the significant. The depth, slam, and woofer controller is better than any amp I have owned. Overall, I would say that this is the best amp I have owned so far. Despite the fact that it is a sing chassis, it’s actually a monoblock design. The right and left channels are totally separated from each other, with their own power supplies. The first few watts are Class A. I’m hearing some sonic nuances that I’ve missed in past setups. I’m looking forward to rotating through some different speakers; including Magnepan’s which Bryston amps are famous for driving with authority.

bryston2.JPG

The preamp was a big deal for me. For the first time in years, I’m not using a tube preamp. I went with the BP26, Brystons flagship stereo preamp. In addition there’s a dedicated external power supply, the MPS-2. The MPS-2 is required for the BP26. The cool thing about the MPS-2 is that it has 5 sockets and can power other Bryston equipment; this is similar to what Naim does with their power supplies. The preamp is fully balanced from input to output and runs pure Class A. Like the 3B amp, the BP26 is ruthlessly reveling and does not color the sound. The sound is so good, I quickly forgot that there’s not a tube in it.

bryston3.JPG

miisalo

Astra Superstar
Updated projector to 4K

13795553735_95c70662cc_b.jpg

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I've been saving some cash up and I'm thinking of getting a fancy surround sound system (what are they up to now, 7.1?).

Any advice for a baby's first sound system?

I don't want to just buy some random junk brand that will go to shit in a year or less, but at the same time there's no way I could afford some super high-end crazy shit either.

I'd be using them in a fairly small room.

Neo Ash

Thanks for the complement teddy. I have been wrestling with which DAC to go with. I've been on the verge of getting a Wadia. Now, I'm 99.9% it will be one from Bryston.

I've been saving some cash up and I'm thinking of getting a fancy surround sound system (what are they up to now, 7.1?).

Any advice for a baby's first sound system?

I don't want to just buy some random junk brand that will go to shit in a year or less, but at the same time there's no way I could afford some super high-end crazy shit either.

I'd be using them in a fairly small room.

Yo dude, I noticed your post a few days ago. I’ve been really busy and didn’t want to give you a lame two sentence reply. Surround receivers have actually gone past 7.1. However, unless you have a large room or a dedicated theater room, it’s a waste in my opinion. You should be totally fine with 5.1. You are right there’s a lot of crap at Best Buy. I’m not sure what your budget is, so that makes recommendations a little difficult. I’ve owned an Onkyo for the past 6 years and it has performed great. The Onkyo receivers biggest problem is that HDMI board failure it not uncommon. I was aware of that, and the fact that Onkyo’s typically run very hot, when I purchased the unit. I’ve always had exhaust fans on top of it that kick on when the temp hits a certain point. I think by always having fans on top of the unit, has made a big difference. Mine sees a lot of use due to the fact that I disabled the speakers on my plasma TV. Therefore, if the TV is on, the AVR is on. A big downside to AVRs in general is all the stuff that manufacturers pack into them. Consequently many run warm to hot…some very hot…invest in a cooling solution and you extend the life of whatever you purchase. Overall, I have been pleased with my Onkyo, it has been solid and reliable. I also have an older Yamaha AVR that I’ve had for 10 years. I purchased it used toward the end of college. It has seen a lot of use and some abuse during house parties (used the A+B outputs to drive speaker in two separate rooms LOUDLY) and has never had an issue. That Yamaha still sees regular daily use in my master bedroom. I think that particular unit is pushing 15 years old.

If I were shopping today for a “mainstream obtainable” AVRI would look closely at Yamaha. They offer great features and a solidly built product. The days of bright somewhat lean sounding Yamaha receivers is pretty much a thing of the past, especially as you move up the product line.

If you want something that you cannot get pickup at the local Best Buy, but are on a budget, I would highly recommend Cambridge Audio. Their products typically outperform the major competitor at their respective price points. I have been impressed with the Cambridge stuff I have tried out. It’s simple, with no unnecessary stuff and is good sounding for not a lot of money.

If you are in the market for something more high-end, take a look at NAD and Anthem. You cannot go wrong with either one. Not only do they do a great job for home theater, they offer excellent 2-ch music performance. I have consistently been impressed with every NAD product I’ve ever tried. Additionally, their AVRs are modular in design. Due to the modular design when updates become available, your dealer can replace a card rather than the entire receiver. Anthem is equally nice and is the sister company to Paradigm. The included room correction package makes the Anthem really standout.

My Onkyo, based on trends/change in the home theater world, is overdue for an upgrade. When I do upgrade, I will most likely go with separates rather than an all-in-one AVR. With that said I will most likely go with Anthem for the preamp processor and Bryston for the amp(s).

Lastly, do not get hung up on THX ratings. It has absolutely nothing to do with quality or performance. And audition as many speakers as you can.

Last edited: