Official A/V Thread

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
We no longer have a section of the forum dedicated to this topic. However, I feel that a running thread covering all aspects of A/V would be of great benefit to the members of this site.

TV related themes I would like to see:
1) What make/model TV do you use for gaming?
2) Does your TV work well with classic games?
3) Members searching for replacement/upgrade TV for gaming
4) How well does it work for movies and home theater?
5) Problems and or reliability issues?
6) Post any good deals that you run across both online and traditional stores
7) Information and questions concerning players…everything from Blue Ray to Laserdisc would be welcome.

This thread could become an excellent reference for which TVs work well for gaming and which ones suck. Please post what you have and your opinions of it…make…model …size…etc. Pictures for comparison would be a bonus.

Audio related:
1) PC audio setups and questions
2) Home theater setup and questions
3) Separating audio myths from facts
4) A/V setups for gaming, movies, and 2-ch
5) Buying advice
6) Post good deals
7) Tell use what you have and what you like and hate about it.
8) Address problem with equipment.
9) Discuss players…everything from CD to Vinyl

I feel that this thread could develop into an asset to the forum. Remember that our members have all sorts of varying budget when it comes to buying gear. No item should be considered too cheap or too expensive to be considered a viable addition to this thread.

Thanks for the Sticky Bobak.

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
TV related themes I would like to see:
1) What make/model TV do you use for gaming?
Samsung SD 27" or JVC iArt 32" SD

2) Does your TV work well with classic games?
Yup.

4) How well does it work for movies and home theater?
I don't care about tricked out systems and HT.

5) Problems and or reliability issues?
Nope.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Television used for gaming:

LG 50PS80 50-Inch 1080p Plasma: I've been very happy with the PQ since the first day I saw it on display. Currently, I use it for all three current gen systems (Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii). With regards to older systems, I've used only a Dreamcast with VGA output and my CMVS with S-video. A feature that I like is the embedded Netflix streaming feature that goes directly to the television in the event you don't want to use either your Xbox 360 or PS3. I've enjoyed DVD's and BD on this unit. The only downside is that it does not do 1080p/24. But considering the price, I couldn't beat it for $700.00.

Home Theater Setup:

Onkyo HT-S5100: An entry level home theater system, this thing was just what I needed. Easy to set up and I love the way it sounds in the man cave. The only downside was that the HDMI ports are only pass through and you would need a separate optical cable for 7.1 sound. My computer is connected to this through standard analog stereo inputs.

Since I'm using the component cable for the Xbox 360 for the optical sound port and optical audio out on the PS3, I use an auto signal sensing, digital input selector for my optical cables. I only use one input on the receiver, run that to the auto selector, and run the other optical cables to it. The benefit is that it doesn't cramp up the back of the receiver and auto selects the input sound source without me manually changing the receiver setting for either the 360 or PS3.

I may upgrade the receiver in the future. But as for right now, I'm set with this one.

Neo Ash

Living Room:

Mitsubishi WD-57731 DLP (roommates)
57 inch DLP
I'm not overly impressed with the image quality, but it does a nice job.
Less than HD looks like shit.
Classic consoles look like shit
Laserdisc....looks like shit.
Great for xBox 360.
Excellent for split screen gaming.
This TV was purchased not long after they bacame avaliable; the lamp has already been replaced once. But, I beleive it was a floor demo....God only knows how many hours were on it when purchased. And the dumbass didn't ask for anything off the price.:oh_no:

My Bedroom:
Panasonic Viera
42 inch plasma
Excellent image quality for both HD and SD.
Speakers sound good for a TV.
Classic consoles such as the Neo and Genesis look very nice
Excellent color quality and black levels.
Highly recomemded for movies.
Laserdiscs and DVDs look great

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
I use a 27" Toshiba CRT with 480i component inputs. The interlacing gets on my nerves with the newer/HD stuff but the older systems look absolutely fantastic. I still can't believe I got it for $75 new. I definitely want to upgrade though...maybe once my tax money comes in. I'll still keep the CRT for older stuff/lightgun games.

I just have a basic HTIAB for 5.1 but I did switch out the stock speakers for some beefier ones I found at thrift stores. I need a new receiver though since the fan is fucked up on the HTIAB one and hums like a goddamn jet whenever I turn it up past a certain point.

For Blus/DVDs I usually just use my Triple since the PQ looks great on my TV. For all of my PAL/non-region 1 stuff I use a Cyberhome 300 DVD player...it's built like a tank, converts PAL to NTSC and the region-free "hack" takes all of four button presses on the remote. The remotes can get wonky but there are plenty of replacements around the web. I got mine for free at my wife's college. :cool:

Neo Ash

I use a 27" Toshiba CRT with 480i component inputs. The interlacing gets on my nerves with the newer/HD stuff but the older systems look absolutely fantastic. I still can't believe I got it for $75 new. I definitely want to upgrade though...maybe once my tax money comes in. I'll still keep the CRT for older stuff/lightgun games.
I also have a 20 inch Sony Wega CRT. Best damn TV for classic systems. It actually doesn't have a lot of hours on it. Was going to let the g/f have it...but as long as she doesn't ask I'm hanging on to it.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
For all of my PAL/non-region 1 stuff I use a Cyberhome 300 DVD player...it's built like a tank, converts PAL to NTSC and the region-free "hack" takes all of four button presses on the remote. The remotes can get wonky but there are plenty of replacements around the web. I got mine for free at my wife's college. :cool:

Cyberhome's are great little players for the price... I've noticed that the PQ is really good, better than any other DVD player in the sub $100 category. Only problem is they use cheap components so they tend to die quickly. I had 1 that the audio caps went out on, and one another the DVD drive burned out. But for 30 bucks, if they even last only a year you've got more than your moneys worth out of them.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
erm,

lounge:
28" wide CRT / sky plus box for tv viewing
32" panasonic viera 720P connected to Wii and PS3 60GB
Older Panasonic 5.1 dolby digital (no DTS), surround system connected via optical to PS3 (I really don't care about surround sound but hey it was free).

spare room:
26" Panasonic 4:3 CRT connected to fat softmodded PS2 / Super Nintendo
2 x candies
Hifi system quad cdp-2 cd player, 909 stereo power amplifier, 99 stereo power amplifier (99 is being sold), kimber timbre interconnect, kimber 8TC speaker cable 2x2.5mtr, generic rack, speakers 20yr Mordaunt Short MS55Ti on spikes, granite platforms and rubber door stops to decouple from floor (floorboards are loose its like a giant sound box without them), apple airtunes connected to cd player used as DAC for streaming lossless from itunes.

Bedroom, modded xbox with XBMC, 19" LG 720P TV.

Fileserver accessible around the house with all the music, media on etc, for various laptops, ps3, xbox, etc, network of about 5 or so desktops/laptops, one modem, 2 switches, 1 hub/wifi access point.

I could do with a gigabit backbone between server and ps3 / my laptop but I just can't be arsed to buy the shiz.

yer

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Just got a Polk Audio VM20 in the mail today. It matches my VM30 floorstanders. I was previously using Blueroom Minipods for fronts and centers, but they're too small for the room, so they had to go. Running a Minipod as a center with the VM30s sounded awful, but I was waiting on getting the VM20 until funds permitted.

The Minipods will probably be relegated to surround duty, but my wife might not like those mounted to the wall, lol. I love the Minipods, but there's not a lot of WAF there :annoyed:

I do all of my stereo listening with the VM30s and an Onkyo sub for 2.1 listening.

I don't game anymore, but my set is a 55" Samsung UN55B6000 LED (LCD if you prefer). I never use the speakers because they're the absolute worst built-in tv speakers I have ever heard. AVR is always on (Onkyo TX-SR606). I watch exclusively HD content, so I don't even know what SD looks like on the set, never bothered to check. It probably looks like ass, similar to most flat panel sets I've seen.

I'm using a Rocketfish to run the rears, which I have become increasingly more and more unhappy with. I've been compiling parts and equipment to run 12awg speaker wire through my ceiling to the rears, but still have a few more pieces to buy before I can actually start the project. Still need 8-post binding plates and some conduit.

All listening is done via the iPod dock or, more commonly, through a Sony SCD CE595 SACD changer. I'm actually looking to upgrade that next though. Probably to an Oppo BDP-83 since it will serve all formats. I have some DVD-A's I've been wanting to listen to, but my SACD player won't accommodate any formats other than SACDs and CDs.

If I can't use the Minipods in the rear once the rewire is done I'm thinking of Mirage Omnisats for all four surrounds, but I'm willing to take suggestions if anyone has any? I'll be running 7.1 once the wiring is done btw.

Other upgrades this year will hopefully include a Denon 3310ci so I can move the 606 upstairs where it will be paired with my 37" Sharp Aquos and whatever I decide to go with in the bedroom setup eventually.

Also want to switch out subs. From the ones I've auditioned that are in my price range I'm leaning towards the Paradigm PDR-10 or a DefTech Supercube. Anyone with opinions on either would be appreciated, especially if you have them paired with a setup similar to mine.

So yeah, short list to do this year.
  • Upgrade Sub
  • Upgrade Surrounds and wire room
  • Upgrade from SACD to a universal player (probably soon)
  • Upgrade receiver

Last edited:

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I been looking around craigslist for a decent deal on a high quality SDtv. I came across a ad for a sony vega kv-32fs120 that is non working, apparently it probably has a broken switch because a baby played with it.

anyone have a simillar model vega? does the light blink when its off or something?
"not working. light blinks but it doesn't turn on." I've grabbed a tv and rigged up my own lil ghetto switch or just used a universal remote before to correct such a problem.

but if the problem goes beyond that. its too big, heavy and far away to get a friend and someone with a ride to help me pick it up.

also beyond sony vega I don't know many decent lines of SD tv's

anyone have a few keywords i could search along with wega/vega (lol you find alot typing wega)

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
A couple days ago I placed an order for a Panasonic VIERA X1 Series TC-L32X1. Its a 32" LCD that I read about on srk. Apparently it has really low amounts of lag when in game mode. Looking forward to getting it soon.

My other tv is a 20 inch Philips crt. Its not the greatest tv ever made but it looks really nice with a PS2 connected via component. I plan to keep this one for all SD content.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
My main TV is a Sony KV-34XBR800, a HDTV CRT. My only HD sources at the moment are a HD DTV box and my modded Xbox (and most of the stuff from there is upscaled SD content), but I might have a 360 soon. HD material looks great, and my friends are sometimes pissed off that their new, expensive LCDs don't have the warm color or black levels that my 8 year old TV has. Doesn't hurt that I spent a good amount of time a few years ago calibrating it in service mode with that AVIA disc, even turned off the red and green guns to calibrate tint haha.

Of course it weighs a ton, but with three people it's not a bad carry, and it's definitely doable with just two. Despite being 34 inches, no one really has any complaints about the size, but then again my living room isn't exactly large.

Classic games look decent on it, but not as good in their native resolution (even through a RGB->Component encoder) as through my modded xbox outputting in 1080i (my TV's native res), they are slightly blurry. Gaming on it is great, and the amount of lag on it is not enough to notice if even existent. Probably helps that the TV is 1080i native, and you can run 480i material in "Interlaced" mode which basically just doubles up the image and doesn't do anything fancy.

My secondary setup is a capture card in the desktop in my room, with DScaler processing the image. My display is a 21" Dell P1110 CRT (can you tell I like CRTs by now?). The picture isn't the best but I haven't spent much time tweaking it other than using DScaler's auto calibration utility with some patterns from the AVIA disc. I just use it with a PS2 hooked up through S-Video to play beatmania IIDX games late at night. It's a nifty little setup.

Neo Ash

If I can't use the Minipods in the rear once the rewire is done I'm thinking of Mirage Omnisats for all four surrounds, but I'm willing to take suggestions if anyone has any? I'll be running 7.1 once the wiring is done btw.

Also want to switch out subs. From the ones I've auditioned that are in my price range I'm leaning towards the Paradigm PDR-10 or a DefTech Supercube. Anyone with opinions on either would be appreciated, especially if you have them paired with a setup similar to mine.

So yeah, short list to do this year.
  • Upgrade Sub
  • Upgrade Surrounds and wire room
  • Upgrade from SACD to a universal player (probably soon)
  • Upgrade receiver

You will be shocked at how small those Mirage speakers are when you see them in person. Those Polks are very slim; I doubt you will miss their bass output as long as you get a good sub to support the Mirage speakers.

IMO...7.1 is a waste unless you have a large room. IF the room is large enough AND you have good speaker placement, 7.1 will give you a more solid theater experience. If the room is not right for 7.1, take the money you would be spending on the extra cables and speakers and use it somewhere else in the system.

That Denon is a nice upgrade, the preamp out section will give you some room for growth.

The paradigm sub will be slightly more accurate. I like REL, take a look at the T3.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Cyberhome's are great little players for the price... I've noticed that the PQ is really good, better than any other DVD player in the sub $100 category. Only problem is they use cheap components so they tend to die quickly. I had 1 that the audio caps went out on, and one another the DVD drive burned out. But for 30 bucks, if they even last only a year you've got more than your moneys worth out of them.

I don't know how much use my CH300 got before I found it but it took about 3-4 years until mine shit out...turned out that the laser lens motor was bad. I just unscrewed the top, popped that puppy out and put a new one in w/o any soldering...works perfectly and only took me $10+15min. :cool:

That said I'd like to upgrade to an Oppo region free player one day but it's just not in the cards right now.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
You will be shocked at how small those Mirage speakers are when you see them in person. Those Polks are very slim; I doubt you will miss their bass output as long as you get a good sub to support the Mirage speakers.

I borrowed a friend's Omnisats for about a month with my current set up, but I think the wireless ruined the experience. I've since auditioned them for around 5 hours total, and I think they'll work well in my room. See below...

IMO...7.1 is a waste unless you have a large room. IF the room is large enough AND you have good speaker placement, 7.1 will give you a more solid theater experience. If the room is not right for 7.1, take the money you would be spending on the extra cables and speakers and use it somewhere else in the system.

Yes, the room is large and needs those extra channels. 25 x 14 with 12ft vaulted ceilings. It's pretty much the worst HT room you could ever have to work with, but I have a family, and it's my living room, so that's what it has to be unfortunately. I have a perfect room for a projector setup, but that is still a few years off. For now the living room serves dual purpose as the HT area as well.

That Denon is a nice upgrade, the preamp out section will give you some room for growth.

That's the plan. Futurproofing as bas as I can ;)

The paradigm sub will be slightly more accurate. I like REL, take a look at the T3.

Have to find somewhere I can audition it. Thanks for the suggestion.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Not sure if we're using this thread for deals on media as well, but just in case.

DeepDiscount is having a pretty good sale on Fox BDs right now if anyone is interested.

Link to sale

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Not sure if we're using this thread for deals on media as well, but just in case.

How's that Harmony remote holding up? I'm considering getting one with the PS3 adapter. I saw a couple of them for sale but was wondering which one I should go for. Do you control your Onkyo with it as well (all features)?

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
How's that Harmony remote holding up? I'm considering getting one with the PS3 adapter. I saw a couple of them for sale but was wondering which one I should go for. Do you control your Onkyo with it as well (all features)?

Yessir. I have a Harmony 1000, but I wouldn't recommend it. It has delay issues and "runaway" issues as well. It's a serviceable remote that is really easy to set up and controls all of my devices for the most part, but I'd look to the Harmony 900 or Harmony One instead. If you like tablet style remotes the Harmony 1100 supposedly fixed all of the problems that the 1000 suffers from.

I like the remote well enough, but I'll be relegating it to bedroom duty as soon as I breakdown and pick up a 900.

Overall I'm happy with the 1000 though b/c it's cut my remotes down from 7 to 1, which is nice.

I'd definitely look at the other remotes in the Harmony line though :cool:

starscream615

, m(o)(o)bs, they're awesome.
Yessir. I have a Harmony 1000, but I wouldn't recommend it. It has delay issues and "runaway" issues as well. It's a serviceable remote that is really easy to set up and controls all of my devices for the most part, but I'd look to the Harmony 900 or Harmony One instead. If you like tablet style remotes the Harmony 1100 supposedly fixed all of the problems that the 1000 suffers from.

I like the remote well enough, but I'll be relegating it to bedroom duty as soon as I breakdown and pick up a 900.

Overall I'm happy with the 1000 though b/c it's cut my remotes down from 7 to 1, which is nice.

I have a Harmony One that replaced my 880. The One is awesome, I can attest as I have it setup with 1 pani plasma, 1 denon reciever, ps3, 360, wii, saturn, dreamcast, snes, nes, atari 2600, Genesis, psp (component cable out), and a mame computer. Works fantastic.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member

The Harmony One looks like a good choice. I think the I'll hold off on the 1100. That thing reminds me of the remote from the movie "Sliver".

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Recommended integrated tube amps, brand and models, vintage or modern. What can I get for under $500 or under $1000.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
like a fatman or something, seriously 500-1000 is going to get you a good tube integrated for sure.

Thing is, you're going to need a phono stage of some kind unless it has one built-in, or you could buy a cd player ;)

Gave my system a good few hours today and shit the bed, I've never heard anything 2channel that compares to it really, everything just sounds amazing and I'm listening to my old cd's again.

http://audioaffair.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=374&md=3ff9c4351ea1a9ce907611b5ec3554f9

Christ these are cheap - the ipod dock could do with going though

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I dunno, but at least it gives you an idea of pricing.
:make_fac: