Official A/V Thread

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Does anyone here use electrostatic headphones?

I've been somewhat into headphones on an on and off basis. Most of my electrostatic headphone experience is limited to STAX.

Do you have any questions I could possibly help you with?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I've been somewhat into headphones on an on and off basis. Most of my electrostatic headphone experience is limited to STAX.

Do you have any questions I could possibly help you with?
which STAX headphones have you used (and how do they compare, to each other, and to dynamic headphones)?

Neo Ash

which STAX headphones have you used (and how do they compare, to each other, and to dynamic headphones)?

I've tried the SR-407. The main problem with STAX vs other brands is the lack of dealers in the USA. This presents a problem for me and likely you. Most people will want to audition the headphones that cost north of $1k.

The STAX sounded excellent and had great build quality. If you like electrostatic speakers, electrostatic headphones (aka ear speakers) are a logical choice. The refinement and detail presented surpasses what the vast majority of dynamic headphones are capable of. You would have to spend a good deal more to get the same detail, even frequency response, dynamics, and ultra-quick transient responses. Also, the electrostatics don't sound like they are playing inside your head; it's more like you're listening to an in room stereo system. A fantastic layered naturalness of the music is presented.

There is something to be aware of before jumping into electrostatic headphones. They offer next to zero portability. An amplifier, specifically for electrostatic headphones is a must. Plus, you're not going to be making any sort of fashion statement by wearing them. Additionally, they can present what some feel like is an analytical presentation of the music; this is somewhat amplifier dependent. Depending on your taste, auditioning the headphones with various tube and solid state amplifiers (aka "energizers") is very worthwhile. It's easy to see how a STAX setup could get fairly expensive in a short amount of time. But keep in mind that a modest STAX setup will perform as well or better than a much more costly dynamic setup. These headphones really show what they are capable of with high resolution source material; these are not the type of headphones you want for low resolution mp3 listening, they will reveal the compression.

My advice would be to get one of their "systems" to get you going. It will come with the headphones and an amplifier. SRS-2170 system (or whatever you’re willing to spend) will get you started for around $800.

Neo Ash

@terry.330 - Did you ever get the problems with your Jolida sorted out?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Not yet, procrastinating. Been using my sorely neglected headphone setup for the past few weeks.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Slightly on topic in regards to headphone - anyone use the Audio Technica M50s? I am thinking of getting a pair.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Vintage Hi-fi, dunno how vintage it is but I got myself a Beosound Ouverture with Beolab 2500 speakers, it sounds ok for a mini system and it has a cassette deck which is nice.

Neo Ash

Slightly on topic in regards to headphone - anyone use the Audio Technica M50s? I am thinking of getting a pair.

I haven't tried those. They look very comfortable to wear. I do know that's a well respected set of cans.

Vintage Hi-fi, dunno how vintage it is but I got myself a Beosound Ouverture with Beolab 2500 speakers, it sounds ok for a mini system and it has a cassette deck which is nice.

Nice. Post up some pics. I would for sure take one of their classic components over the new stuff they are currently making. They have cool looking stuff, but I feel that they place more importance on the looks verses the performance, and unfortunately the price to performance ratio has gone down in comparison to their older products. Their vintage turntables are OK in my book and very good looking. I've auditioned a surround sound setup with BeoLab 5 speakers and felt that equal or even better performance could be obtained at a lower price point.

EDIT - I'm considering a DIY speaker project just for the fun of it. Anyone else into DIY? I've got some unique speaker design ideas I'd like to try out as my DIY skills evolve.

Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
inwpqq.jpg

Here, it's in my study atm, might move it to the living room once I get a pair of Beolab 6000's to go with it. It's no PIONEER though.

Last edited:

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
High Quality 240-line VHS is the total Cat's Ass. it walks all over inferior "High Res HD" like Blu-Ray Disc.
it is evergreen, perennial and timeless, and it will absolutely smash the crap out of the 100,000,000,000p 3-D Crystalvision R.E.A.L. Holography
that will be dominating the Home Video scene in 2025.

Long Live VHS forevermore. it is the Future, and whoever thinks otherwise is a woefully uninformed Berk
in the obvious employ of SAMSUNG or LG's marketing department....

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Hey guys, kinda just throwing this out there, I've got a Onkyo HX Pro tape deck I no longer use, it needs a heavy cleaning as it was in storage.... Anyone interested in it?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
POST.

I couldn't stand to see that mongos name at the top of the forums anymore let alone the AV thread.

Anyhoo gonna be sending my amp back in this week...

We'll see how it goes.

Again.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Can anyone recommend a high end CD player (that's not outrageously expensive), preferably one that plays mp3 CDs, or is SACD, DVD-A, Blu-ray, etc. Brands might be Denon, Sony, Marantz, Emotiva, Oppo, Yamaha, etc.

Neo Ash

@Terry.330 - Good luck with your amp. Let us know how it turns out.

Can anyone recommend a high end CD player (that's not outrageously expensive), preferably one that plays mp3 CDs, or is SACD, DVD-A, Blu-ray, etc. Brands might be Denon, Sony, Marantz, Emotiva, Oppo, Yamaha, etc.

High-end CD only players don't do mp3. If you want that many options, you'll want to look at a DB player. The Oppo is an obvious recommendation. I've got an older Yamaha DVD player (~10 years old) that still works great. It was used heavily to play mp3’s the first few years I owned it, and it's also been used for a ton of DVDs. It has always been reliable and trouble free; that DVD player is still in use today in the master bedroom for the occasional DVD. All of the Yamaha gear I have owned over the years has been reliable and well built. Don't waste your time with Emotiva, it's a joke IMO. Emotiva is a brand that masquerades as high-end and is, in my opinion, highly overrated. I remember the first time I auditioned some Emotive stuff; it was at a HiFi show. I literally started laughing as soon as I exited their room. Needless to say, they were painfully outclassed by the overwhelming majority of other exhibitors.

Last edited:

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
I'll 2nd the Oppo suggestion. I've had 3 of their players over the last 11+ years and all have worked well with about the best format compatibility out there. They are great for region-free use too which is a relatively unadvertised function of most of their gear. Their stuff seems to retain their value over time as well. The first 2 players I had (DV971H & DV-980H) retained their original purchase price/value amazingly well and was able to sell them relatively quickly once I moved up to the BDP-103 which I have now.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Do you guys have surround sound setups (DVD audio, Blu-ray), or do you just stick to stereo (two channel) setups? Most recordings are stereo.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Do you guys have surround sound setups (DVD audio, Blu-ray), or do you just stick to stereo (two channel) setups? Most recordings are stereo.

My hack-job TV audio is stereo yet it is wired for 5 speakers. Some 6 packs were involved in that. Certainly, surround recordings do exist. I use them to test proper speaker output on my computer which has 5.1. It does nothing for the tv, which has no name and is a shame. oooo idea.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I used to do 5.1 surround at the old house, but when I moved I never bothered to connect the rear speakers, and at this point I don't really intend to. My wife doesn't like the audiophile "experience" when watching movies, and so few games have decent surround sound that it's nearly worthless to me. I do still have a center channel in the mix though, with my receiver I prefer using it over a pure stereo setup for most things.

Now, in my computer room I just set up my old CRT with the express purpose of playing old games, so naturally surround would be worthless. I'm just going to kick it with some decent bookshelves, and maybe a sub down the line. That's all 8-32 bit systems need.

miisalo

Astra Superstar
Just read interesting article about local test where 500 euros Denon 5.1 amplifier was ABX tested against 2000 euros stereo amplifier and then ABX tested against different +4000 euros stereo amps in the homes of audiophiles.

Test result: In the AB part (amp is known) people found huge differences, but X part confirmed that in reality no hearable difference was found. Not even with different speaker setups etc. This confirms the same as the other ABX tests. Stereo amps having better sound quality than surround amps is just myth when comparing modern equipment. The might be some measurable differences but ABX test confirms that human cannot hear them, at least using normal listening rooms.

I have to confess that I didn't expected that low price point for "perfect amp". But as an "engineer" I'm not surprised. Differences in modern amps are other than audio quality of DA converters or amplifier circuit. And hifi scene is full of bullshit. Like lexicon bd player that had oppo bd player inside, or Iwontmentionthename amplifier costing more than 10k having basically under 1000e marantz inside with bit customized firmware.

Neo Ash

If I'm listening to 2 channel material on my 5.1 setup, I always switch to "pure direct" 2-ch mode. I find it pretty annoying listening to stereo material with all channels playing. My preference for music is, of course, on a 2-ch only system. I have some concert DVD/BD's, most also came with a CD. The CD soundtracks see way more use.

Just read interesting article about local test where 500 euros Denon 5.1 amplifier was ABX tested against 2000 euros stereo amplifier and then ABX tested against different +4000 euros stereo amps in the homes of audiophiles.

Test result: In the AB part (amp is known) people found huge differences, but X part confirmed that in reality no hearable difference was found. Not even with different speaker setups etc. This confirms the same as the other ABX tests. Stereo amps having better sound quality than surround amps is just myth when comparing modern equipment. The might be some measurable differences but ABX test confirms that human cannot hear them, at least using normal listening rooms.

I have to confess that I didn't expected that low price point for "perfect amp". But as an "engineer" I'm not surprised. Differences in modern amps are other than audio quality of DA converters or amplifier circuit. And hifi scene is full of bullshit. Like lexicon bd player that had oppo bd player inside, or Iwontmentionthename amplifier costing more than 10k having basically under 1000e marantz inside with bit customized firmware.

I agree there's way too much snake oil in A/V. What Lexicon did was egregious. My biggest problem with all the bs is with ridiculously priced speaker cables, interconnects, and power cables. At one point I was buying some pretty expensive cables. I no longer do that. I came to my senses and now purchase quality cables that are well constructed/crafted. All of my recent cable purchases have been under $200, which is a lot less than I was spending in the past. Chances are that whatever you are listening to was recorded and or also mastered with Canare, Belden, or Mogami cables. Why use something else or more expensive than what was likely used in the studio?

Now as for whether or not amplifiers sound different. That subject has been debated to ad nauseam. There are pros and cons to both sides of the argument. I can respect all the various opinions. It has been my experience, that I can absolutely hear a difference between amplifiers. The main pre-amp I use in my 2-ch system allows me to have up to three amplifiers connected at any given time, and I do this often. This allows for me to have my main amp connected for critical listening along with other amps that I can switch to based on my mood or listening preference. Sometimes, I just want to kick back and listen to some tunes, in that case I'll switch to a warm/lush/smooth sounding amp. At that point I'm just lost in the music and no longer concerned about critiquing whatever equipment is connected, and have shifted out of an analytical listening mode.

Last edited:

miisalo

Astra Superstar
Well, I thought earlier that I hear differences amps but myself doing bind test and abx opened my eyes...errr...ears. Seems to be that it psychological. Article does mention that some early surround amps had so bad quality that it could be heard, but current amps are different.

In the test I mentioned, they had 150 listenings and most of them against audiophiles setups just to because they thought that old believe of different amps work with different speakers was true. And so the people would have time to "get used to amps". But ABX test result was 49/51 which equals to random. Actually few of the listeners didn't even take the X part because they couldn't hear any differences. Others that heard them,got perfectly random results = they imagined the differences. Note that in this setup, volumes were first balanced. Earlier tests have proven that even minor change in the volume is registered by brains and normally so that louder feels better.

But article does mention that you don't buy mechanical watch because its more accurate than digital, it just feels better. So sometimes you don't buy amplifier because it has better sound quality.