Official A/V Thread

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Outside of the Darbee crap there's a few other slight changes that make the D(ick) model a little better. Get it if you can spare the money, but still, turn that Darbee crap off completely.

If you decide to get the regular 103 model (is it still available?), remember to use HDMI out 2 for video output. HDMI out 1 has ever so slight DNR that can't be turned off.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I ended up getting the 103D...Its pretty awesome player! I tried the Darbee & seems to add more detail, why dont you like it?

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
It is IMPOSSIBLE to add more detail than there already is. Think about it; how would it be possible?

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Also impossible. The Blu-ray player, unless badly engineered (which is not a problem with Oppo), will send out all the detail on the disc. An algorithm in the HDMI chain or the player is not going to help his display "reveal more detail". It may seem like it, and a lot of people are definitely being fooled by this Darbee crap, but it's all complete and total BS.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Kristian is right, the Oppo is already a reference player on the highest quality digital format we have. Assuming the TV is properly calibrated, if you messed with the image at all you are making it look some way other than the director intended. On most of the reviews I saw, on the pictures that showed the "improvement" it looked like the brightness and contrast were way off on the TV set itself and the Darbee was just correcting a bad calibration.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
didn't realize y'all were talking about video

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Here we go, the best 4:3 television experience money can buy.

TV: Sony Trinitron KV-32FS100
Receiver: Sears AM/FM Stereo 8Track Play/Record System Model 400.91605 600
VCR: Panasonic Omnivision PV-V4522
DVD-R: LG DVD Recorder DR1F9H
LD: Pioneer LaserDisc Player CLD-V2600
Speakers Soundesign Full-Range 0632B 52 8ohm
switch 4 port composite switch

Everything works except no audio from DVD-R. DVD-R is not currently connected in a way that it can record anything. It is in place primarily for the ability to play full screen DVDs and also VCDs. Audio goes through the sources into the VCR, through the tv and into the receiver. This is done so that the overall volume can be controlled with the TV remote. Built-in TV speakers are disabled.

Connection diagram
Untitled-25_zpsylcs1fkv.jpg

Price history...
Spoiler:
TV: Free from a guy getting rid of it a year or two ago.
Receiver: was my parents in the 70s, hand-me-down
VCR: bought new in the late 90s for $60.
DVD-R: $20 at garage sale this year. Was "used once" but had some paint on the channel buttons. I fixed it.
LD: $20 shipped on Ebay a couple years ago, as-is/untested purchase.
Speakers: $6 for pair at a rummage sale last year.

Large pictures
Spoiler:

DVD-R test playing Gundam 0083 VCD
20160620_210753_zpswqbb0xa8.jpg

LaserDisc playing Yessongs LD
20160620_211438_zpsgni7o6ap.jpg

"stack" photo
20160620_211612_zps0lbwx0wm.jpg

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
So i have had the Oppo 103d for a few weeks now & man it produce a really nice picture. I used to watch my downloaded movies through my laptop & it gave a shitty dark picture & now they look pretty amazing.

Anyway, here is the Darbee thing...To me there is subtle differences without it. Not sure if its me justifying the price or the picture is artificial enhancement, i really dont care...It looks great.

20160609_012559_zpsmfkvbucw.jpg

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Blew out my Grados. Don't forget to turn down your amp when you set you turntable needle down.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Blew out my Grados. Don't forget to turn down your amp when you set you turntable needle down.

Damn that sucks, how high did you have your amp turned up? I've never heard of a needle drop blowing anything out.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
About 90%. I must have bumped the knob because I never listen to anything that loud and always turn the volume back to zero when I'm done using it.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Damn Terry, that sucks dude. Just look at it as an excuse to by even more badass set of headphones.

Yes. ALWAYS mute or switch sources before cueing an album. I wouldn't dream of doing it any other way. Most people don't realize the stress that those thuds and thumps can place on mid/bass drivers. Often people are unaware of the stress; this is especially true if they always keep the grills on. I have witnessed extreme woofer excursions when a person failed to hit mute.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
did not know that about cueing an album. glad my speakers have not blown, i will definitely modify my habits from here forth.

Neo Ash

A few months ago, I finally added a tuner to my setup. I didn't think it would get much use, but wanted to give it a try; I was totally wrong.

I recently added a Magnum Dynalab MD205 Signal Sleuth. I was simply interested in seeing if there would be any noticeable improvements. After inserting the 205, the improvements were shocking. Stations that were previously totally out of range are now very listenable, even the weakest stations now sound great and even better if I flip my tuner to mono mode. This thing is clean! No unwanted distortion or trash; this was one of the things that shocked me the most, I was certain it would dirty up the single. Boy was I wrong. If you enjoy listening to FM, this is a must try piece of gear. Pair it with a good tuner and a quality antenna and you'll be set. This thing is great and by leveraging the meters like those found on a Magnum Dynalab tuner, it become shockingly good. The ability to tweak and fine tune the single is insane. Now, lower power NPR stations sound great. On stronger stations, I usually put it in bypass mode. With strong stations I have not noticed any negatives with it actively amplifying; for example it takes the single from a 9 to a 10 on the meter without degrading the sound.

MagnumDynalab205.JPG

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Damn Ash, that tuner and sleuth setup is crazy cool!
Is that the antenna you were talking about just above the tuner in the photo?

Tried listening to baseball games on it? Looks badass to say the least.

Last edited:

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Long overdue "system update" so to speak.

I set out at the beginning of the summer with the goal of a new record player in mind to replace a really junky Audio Technica ATLP120 table I had bought on Amazon about 6 years ago.

After talking a bit with Neo Ash and reading loads of internet posts on the subject I went to my local Hifi shop and listened to a Denon and some Music Hall tables and ended up purchasing a brand new Music Hall 5.3. -A huge upgrade over the old Amazon.com special I had before. much quieter noise floor, and stable in the shaky environment that is my living room that is equipped with a floor like a wrestling mat.

New MMF5.3 record player:
Spoiler:
20160618_172209_zpsrlknznrq.jpg

I had bought one of those Bellari red tube preamps to go with the MMF5.3, but no matter what I did it buzzed like a SoB. I returned the gimmicky Bellari and bought a U-Turn Pluto Preamp to hold me over until I found better- the Pluto was much better in the buzzing department, but a little less full sounding then the Bellari, but I would say the Pluto was still an overall improvement in definition from my Marantz AV preamp's built in phono stage...

Things got real when Ash found me an ebay listing for a pre-owned AcousTech PH-1 Premium phono stage. The price relative to the Bellari and Pluto was steep, but compared to a new phono stage from Sutherland Engineering I got the PH-1p a little less than half price.

I am very happy with the PH-1p and it has been a drastic improvement over the previous budget phono stages - even my hard to impress flac file playing friends have remarked how clear and detailed it sounds.

Sneaky Sutherland:
Spoiler:
20160618_172147_zpsvfx3hcqs.jpg

Moon shot:
Spoiler:
20160614_225443_zpstofqzp2s.jpg

Preamp Pr0n:
Spoiler:
20160614_223509_zpsz7by0ngc.jpg

Gold!!
Spoiler:
20160614_223439_zpsmclnwkqa.jpg

Living Room with Both TVs firing:
20160618_173413_zpscna0tpi0.jpg

Straight on System Attack!
20160618_172522_zpsicvzdqlu.jpg

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Dope. Keep that TT covered though my 5.1 is a dust magnet.

Sold my Schiit Valhalla headphone amp. Redundant since I got my Peachtree amp that has a built in headphone stage. Not as full or warm sounding but much cleaner.

Also if anyone wants an acrylic platter for a Rega or MH table on the cheap hit me up.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Keep that TT covered though my 5.1 is a dust magnet.

Yeah the piano black definitely needs a wipe down from time to time. Dust cover came off for photo time, I leave it on usually.

Rest of my kit is mostly supplied by Neo Ash: Bryston 2blp amp, and the anchor of the set up: Rega Appolo CD Player.
Found my Marantz Av preamp on the cheap after learning about audiogon from Ash. Everything sounds real nice- have to give him major thanks for all his help and advice.

The Marantz is a little too complicated for a stereo setup, but it does an OK job of sorting everything that comes at it from the turntable to the Ps4. It does not support 4k pass through which is a bit of a bummer. And it can get a little tripped up with the Ps4 and the whole hdmi handshake thing on occasion.

Neo Ash

Damn Ash, that tuner and sleuth setup is crazy cool!
Is that the antenna you were talking about just above the tuner in the photo?

Tried listening to baseball games on it? Looks badass to say the least.

That's the one. Magnum Dynalab SR100. They go for around 50 bucks. It uses a 75 ohm input, but an adapter is included if you need one.

Most of my listening is NPR; lots of great music content.

AMAGSR100.jpg

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I've always wanted to try out a MD tuner, it's just never been in the cards for me. Have heard nothing but great things though and they still support their old gear including upgrade paths. You don't see that very often these days.

K-2, nice pickup on that Music Hall. I used to have the OG MMF-5 and it was a phenomenal TT. I'm sure you'll enjoy that TT for a long time, with the included cart that table is a no brainer IMO.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
JibbDesk.jpg

Sorry, I'm not baller like some of you guys but I was pretty happy yesterday. I've had this SX-828 for years but it needed a little bit of TLC, so it was living in the basement with my other unfinished projects. For some reason yesterday I got a hair up my ass to finally take care of it. All of the switches and pots were scratchy, so it just needed a deoxit bath, but on this particular model the pots are hard to get to (you have to take the unit half apart to get at them) so I had been putting it off. Anyway it's done now, and the only issue that it still has is that the "stereo" indicator lamp is burned out, but I have a replacement. This sounds so much better than the BPC amp that it replaced. Now I just need to find some nice desktop/bookshelf speakers to go with it, as the ones pictured are just some big-box store home theater speakers that someone gave me.

The SX-828 was actually the top-of-the-line receiver in Pioneer's product line in 1972, and cost about $480 back then (which is almost $2500 today). Crazy. I actually have my rooftop antenna hooked into it, and combined with its excellent tuner I can pull in just about any FM station under the sun. Would be cool if I had a nice AM antenna I guess, but I can listen to baseball games with my satellite subscription.

The headphones that Ash gave me for Christmas also sound about 10x better with this receiver than they did with the BPC POS. Thanks again, Ash!

Neo Ash

View attachment 38668

Sorry, I'm not baller like some of you guys but I was pretty happy yesterday. I've had this SX-828 for years but it needed a little bit of TLC, so it was living in the basement with my other unfinished projects. For some reason yesterday I got a hair up my ass to finally take care of it. All of the switches and pots were scratchy, so it just needed a deoxit bath, but on this particular model the pots are hard to get to (you have to take the unit half apart to get at them) so I had been putting it off. Anyway it's done now, and the only issue that it still has is that the "stereo" indicator lamp is burned out, but I have a replacement. This sounds so much better than the BPC amp that it replaced. Now I just need to find some nice desktop/bookshelf speakers to go with it, as the ones pictured are just some big-box store home theater speakers that someone gave me.

The SX-828 was actually the top-of-the-line receiver in Pioneer's product line in 1972, and cost about $480 back then (which is almost $2500 today). Crazy. I actually have my rooftop antenna hooked into it, and combined with its excellent tuner I can pull in just about any FM station under the sun. Would be cool if I had a nice AM antenna I guess, but I can listen to baseball games with my satellite subscription.

The headphones that Ash gave me for Christmas also sound about 10x better with this receiver than they did with the BPC POS. Thanks again, Ash!

Jibs, are you kinding? That's a sweat and sexy receiver! Clean retro looks that don't look outdated, and the wood cabinet sets if off. If I wasn't on the wrong coast, it would be awesome to give it a listen. My dad has a similar Pioneer, now I'll have to find out the model next time I'm over to visit. That was a very nice receiver that was neck and neck with what Marantz had to offer. Let me know if you need any help while speaker shopping.

I'm jeleous of your rooftop antenna; I should do that one of these days.

Glad to hear you are still enjoying the cans!

P.S. - Just great...now I'm gonna end up shopping vintage receivers.:annoyed::keke: