How to tell if your MVS game is a possible boot

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
awesome. Any reason why the board looks different?

The scans site doesn't have every variation of boards ever made. It's more useful to compare what the mask roms look like than actual boards.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
awesome. Any reason why the board looks different?

They probably used what they had. The version on mvsscans uses a pro-cto board which is a decryption based board but it doesn't even have the CTO installed. Could have been a transitional period.

petercat

n00b
ok got it. just wanted to be extra cautious cause the cart has a repro label. thanks guys.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Is it possible to tell just by the sticker? There is a craigslist ad in my area with svc chaos and strikers at a good price, but they probably wont let me crack them open and check.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Is it possible to tell just by the sticker? There is a craigslist ad in my area with svc chaos and strikers at a good price, but they probably wont let me crack them open and check.

The carts are clear you so don't have to open them to check.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just to clarify, the clear carts are the boots 99% of the time. The official ones came in black shells and also have serial numbers on the label which is in blue.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
You mean the ones Japhei claimed to release?

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Just to clarify, the clear carts are the boots 99% of the time. The official ones came in black shells and also have serial numbers on the label which is in blue.

Really?!
Ill stay away those clear carts

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Really?!
Ill stay away those clear carts

Just to be clear (no pun intended): the clear cases are boots 99% of the time just for some games (SVC and Strikers 1945+ I guess?). I have Garou, Metal Slug 3, Viewpoint and World Heroes 2 all with clear cases and all original.

Regards.

TheIronSheik

Kuroko's Training Dummy
My Spinmaster MVS cart is a clear case and it's legit. Metal Slug X uses a blue see through case. I think it depends on the title.

TheIronSheik

Kuroko's Training Dummy
If I'm buying on eBay and I can't see pictures of the boards, I go by if the label is legit. If so, then I will buy it, and so far I have not been disappointed.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Thanks for the guide. I'm pretty new to MVS carts so am just trying to learn how to spot boots.

Am I right to assume that if the NGH number matches and they look the same as the scans then they're legit? I've noticed some of the other numbers on chips are slightly different. Is this just a different serial or batch number?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It depends. World Heroes Perfect contains chips from World Heroes 2 Jet, for example.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
It depends. World Heroes Perfect contains chips from World Heroes 2 Jet, for example.

Would the Scans on the site show this though? For example my Puzzle Bobble has the numbers 96 & 68, but looking on mvs-scans.com it looks like this is legit.

ThGame

Geese's Thug

Is windjammers a legit clear cart mvs title?? I just bought one and ive noticed most of them are clear from what ive seen. It has serial #s

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Is windjammers a legit clear cart mvs title?? I just bought one and ive noticed most of them are clear from what ive seen. It has serial #s

That statement was pertaining to only SVC Chaos. Windjammers are usually clear.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Would the Scans on the site show this though? For example my Puzzle Bobble has the numbers 96 & 68, but looking on mvs-scans.com it looks like this is legit.

Yes, the scans on that site should reflect this.