How to tell if your MVS game is a possible boot

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Go to ack's site: http://mvs-scans.com

He has scans of all MVS games in high resolution.

1. If your cart's boards looks a little different from the scans you may have a boot or an SNK repair.

2. If your cart's boards look NOTHING like the scans then you have a boot for sure. If the cart in question contains all windowed eproms, it's a boot. If it's either Ironclad, Diggerman or Ghostlop it is a homemade cart which is the only way you can get them.

If your cart is like case #1 then post a new thread and a picture of the carts boards in a clear close photo. If you can get the text on the chips in the pics it would help.

If your cart is like case #2, do not make a thread.

Sticky please.

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
If you have boards (legit or bootleg) that dont match up to anything on the site and would like to contribute scans, please pm me.

Scans of missing labels are also welcome.

thanks
-ack

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The main thing to look for is non-windowed chips with the appropriate NGH number on them. The presence of one or two windowed chips does not mean it's a boot, especially if the rest of the chips are correctly labeled. Half the posts here could be avoided with that simple rule.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
There are some boots that have mask roms with NGH numbers on them though.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
Is there anyone who has scanned guts of AES carts? similar to nowalls's MVS site?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Is there anyone who has scanned guts of AES carts? similar to nowalls's MVS site?

It's the same principle, the chips are usually the same in the AES cart, only the PCBs are different.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
There are some boots that have mask roms with NGH numbers on them though.

Could be the left over remains of a sac cart to make a bootleg. There were FF2 maskroms in C3 and C4 in a puzzle bobble boot I have.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Not the case though as that's the usual. This one looked like a legit cart, all mask roms with the NGH number on them. iirc it was a MS3 cart. I took pics of it but imageshack deleted the images a while ago and the files were on my PC that tanked.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Not the case though as that's the usual. This one looked like a legit cart, all mask roms with the NGH number on them. iirc it was a MS3 cart. I took pics of it but imageshack deleted the images a while ago and the files were on my PC that tanked.
Sounds like a one in a thousand situation.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
WHP carts have ROMs with both 090 (WHP) and 064 (WH2J) though.

kasemase

New Challenger
Very nice site. This was the first time I've seen a Fight Fever MVS cart. I guess they really do exist, but I can never find them on sale.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
I didn't really want to create a new thread for this, but I suppose this has to do with identifying boots. I have a question:

Why did'nt SNK give their JAP carts serials?

If they did, where did they put them? Did they have a separate silver sticker with the serial number, like early released US MVS titles?

I mean is there really any way to tell if a JAP label is original? For US realeases there are serials (sometimes scratched) and holo labels that assure you of the fact that they are original labels/carts.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
On JP carts they used the silver stickers on the side with a serial number after a certain period. Some were on the side and some on the label but it wasn't a consistent thing as some jp carts never had them when others of the same name did.

I'm guessing the jp carts with serial stickers were sold to arcade ops in the US.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
So in short, there is no way to tell if a JP label is original itself? Forgive me if I sound dense, I'm just trying to get this straight.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
All jp labels are made of the same material. I've never seen a fake jp label.

jew90

Geese's Thug
So in short, there is no way to tell if a JP label is original itself? Forgive me if I sound dense, I'm just trying to get this straight.

You can always compare good scans of it to a known original label and try and work it out from that..

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I don't think there's any difference between the way the Japanese carts and the English carts are done. They're both inconsistent, but the system seems to be about the same. I've never noticed any difference. As Xian Xi said, sometimes they have the separate silver label, as did some English carts.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
Many thanks to ack for providing such valuable website/resource, I just got Irritating Maze and thought it was a boot (it doesn't have serial number on English label), turned out to be absolutely genuine and original.

Now it's time to go through all my carts and see which is/are boot.

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
I have a metal slug on a AOF2 board and the chips are not windowed or mx the only label they have is MS16 and MS32 with their corresponding chip D1 to D4 for the 32M and W1,3 and 4 and a Q1 for the 16M ones! original jap label! then is a boot? probably an old one? also the M1 and S1 have windows but they have the red crayon on them! and there is a bridge from pin 13 on the W4 that goes to a 3JIT because the chip is piggy backed on the probably original one! any thoughts?

Hashmech

New Challenger
Awesome guide Ack! Bookmarked!
Confirmed my Bust-A-Move Again is the legits. Dang... now I have to check all my carts

corebass420

Crossed Swords Squire
If you have boards (legit or bootleg) that dont match up to anything on the site and would like to contribute scans, please pm me.

Scans of missing labels are also welcome.

thanks
-ack

Man. Awesome site. Thank you so much for the time you spent on it.

petercat

n00b
hey guys. Im new here and cant start my own thread. I really need an expert opinion on a viewpoint board i got. the chips on board 1 look just like they do on MVS-scans.com but the board itself is labeled prog 4096 and looks more like a puzzle de pon board. board 2 looks like it should. Does this mean its a conversion or something? Thanks for any help guys. Just trying to make sure i didn't get ripped off.