Pulstar AES (Boot or Legit?)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You might be able to see the chips from the slots on the cart. Look in the top slot to see the chips on the bottom board.

caren103

King's Dry Cleaner
Here at Ebay Spain, a guy has been selling a complete Jap Pulstar AES, at first without telling it was a conversion.

I think someone contacted him, because he added (in smaller/not bold letters than the rest of item description) that it was a conversion.

That conversion came from Atomikwave too: I was looking at a bid from him for one Pulstar conversion; somebody bought it; one-two weeks later that guy was sellng that Pulstar... coincidence? I think not.

Anyway, I think I have at home some picture which marks where to press an AES cart to open it: it was useful to me; I'll post here if I find it.

But the risk is there: you can damage the sticker (from light marks/crease/wrinkle to slashing it in two)...

Too, there are legit carts aroung there which can have: reprinted insert, and/or reprinted cart sticker, and/or even reprinted manual.

Imagine someone own a expensive game with the insert sunfaded.

If someone can provide to that someone with a high quality reprinted insert, then if he plans to sell the game and do not say the insert is a reprinted one... more buyers will be interested in purchasing the game, price will be higher, and if someone finally opens the cart, he will find a legit cart...

EDIT: Here is the picture (I found it in the internet a time ago, but I can't remember now where):

neogeoobrircartutxgrape.jpg

Last edited:

xorthen

Banned
I'm convinced that it's legit. It's also kicking my ass. Which is why I am selling it. :crying:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Does your insert have the feint cartridge hard case indentations in it?? If it doesn't,I would state that it's a reprint from that alone.
BB

TLH

Zero's Secretary
Does your insert have the feint cartridge hard case indentations in it?? If it doesn't,I would state that it's a reprint from that alone.
BB

BB what do you mean by feint cart indentations? I am considering buying this cart, but fear from past posts that it is an Atomikwave conversion. thanks..tlh

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The AES hard case has border edges that will press into the insert after a period of time leaving the insert with feint indentation marks. The insert should have signs of aging wear as well.
BB

BB what do you mean by feint cart indentations? I am considering buying this cart, but fear from past posts that it is an Atomikwave conversion. thanks..tlh

xorthen

Banned
BB

Yes, it does have feint indentation towards the top which is pretty common on most carts. I am pretty confident that it's legit because the guy I bought it from says he buys his games directly in Tokyo. He's also sold me lots of MVS carts which were legit. But he claims that the Pulstar I bought is 100% authentic. I'm going to bet my money on it that it's true because he runs his own shop and has tons of stuff which is authentic in stock at all times.

TLH

Zero's Secretary
Got it - Is there any other tell tale signs of a conversion. It is becoming increasingly difficult to tell from pics...I probably won't buy the cart unless the seller opens it first. That said, I think Xorthern is likely an honest guy who really doesn't know if the cart is real or not. Nice price, but I am reluctant to take a chance...thanks, tlh

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
If you ever need reassurance,feel free to send it to me. I'd know immediately.
I'm certain that the cart doesn't need to be opened as it's not a matter of the chips being legit. Ultimately it matters but suppose it needed repair and somebody used legitimate chips from an MVS cart? That does not change it's authenticity.
Basically what I'm stating is that The insert,the manual and the cart sticker are what truly matters here in regards to authenticity.
If you own a copy of Pulstar with all legitimate paper media(sticker,insert& manual) less the original chips on the pcb's,you technically still own an authentic copy of the game.
BB

neoconverted

Banned
Hello

I'am Atomikwave
Your game are legit 100 % , it's not my conversion , i can recognize easily my conversions and your game are legit , any doubts.
best
neo-converted

xorthen

Banned
If you ever need reassurance,feel free to send it to me. I'd know immediately.
I'm certain that the cart doesn't need to be opened as it's not a matter of the chips being legit. Ultimately it matters but suppose it needed repair and somebody used legitimate chips from an MVS cart? That does not change it's authenticity.
Basically what I'm stating is that The insert,the manual and the cart sticker are what truly matters here in regards to authenticity.
If you own a copy of Pulstar with all legitimate paper media(sticker,insert& manual) less the original chips on the pcb's,you technically still own an authentic copy of the game.
BB

This. I can also do high quality scans of the cart sticker and insert.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
BB
WTF?

No you don't. You own an illegal pirated copy with legitimate artwork.

neoconverted: Get a new hobby that isnt destroying Neo Geo software, you piece of fucking shit.

And all you people who for some reason buy an AES to play MVS games should stop supporting this business which in turn floods the Neo Geo marketplace with crap.

Last edited:

warmachine

n00b
I don't see how taking someone's word for it is going to resolve
the issue of whether the cart is a conversion or not, Especially
if that word comes from someone who's business is selling conversions.

Considering that the difference between a legit and a conversion
is about $200.00 - $300.00. It would be well worth someone's time
to make sure that the cart appears as authentic as possible.

The only way to know for sure is to open it up.

TLH

Zero's Secretary
The cart is open and it is legit. I agree that the only way to know for sure is to open the cart. That said, I am relieved that the cart is real. With all the fake stuff out there today its getting really hard to tell whats legit. This was an honest seller who just wasn't sure and was unwilling to open the cart. tlh

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Still waiting to see the pics of that one, and yeah bet that was a D'oh moment :blow_top: