Pulstar AES (Boot or Legit?)

xorthen

Banned
I purchased this Pulstar AES from Akiba-Connect off of ebay. He says it's legit. But, I'm afraid to open the cart and damage anything. Is there a safe way to open AES carts? I've bought from them before and they sold legit stuff. Anyways, here are some images.

DSC02869.jpg

DSC02870.jpg

DSC02872.jpg

DSC02874.jpg

DSC02876.jpg

DSC02877.jpg

DSC02878.jpg

DSC02879.jpg

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If it's a boot or a conversion, it's incredibly well done.

The only way to find out is by cracking open that cart. Start from the bottom, applying pressure to the side that gives, you'll see when you put presure on one side and the other which side has the tabs (it's been awhile so I forget which side). You'll separate the bottom slightly, just try tokeep it pulled open by putting soemthing like folded paper in between the two halves and then push on the side to release those tabs, then the cart should come open. Just don't open it too far so the label will stay intact and won't get creased.

Then upload us some pics of the boards!

(if anyone can explain this better feel free to do so, it's been years since I've opened a cart)

xorthen

Banned
If it's a boot or a conversion, it's incredibly well done.

The only way to find out is by cracking open that cart. Start from the bottom, applying pressure to the side that gives, you'll see when you put presure on one side and the other which side has the tabs (it's been awhile so I forget which side). You'll separate the bottom slightly, just try tokeep it pulled open by putting soemthing like folded paper in between the two halves and then push on the side to release those tabs, then the cart should come open. Just don't open it too far so the label will stay intact and won't get creased.

Then upload us some pics of the boards!

(if anyone can explain this better feel free to do so, it's been years since I've opened a cart)

If you have a camera you should record a video of you doing it. :p

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
The paperwork and sticker with it seem to be of good quality. They aren't faded like the one MagicT tried to pawn off on somebody.

xorthen

Banned
I just spent the past 15 minutes trying to open up an AES cart as practice. There's no way I can open it up. I really want to open up the cart but I'm afraid of damaging it.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
I buy from him on a VERY regular basis. He's never sold me a boot and I don't think he's going to start. When he sells carts with kit pieces, he does reprint the kit pieces, so worst case is you have a high quality reprinted insert.

there are some high quality pulstar conversions being sold, if you have doubts, the only way to know is opening the cart and posting pics of the pbcs.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
there are some high quality pulstar conversions being sold, if you have doubts, the only way to know is opening the cart and posting pics of the pbcs.

This.

You need to open it up. If you trust him then let it be but if you have doubts there are consequences, you might ruin a cart that is in great condition if it is legit.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
This.

You need to open it up. If you trust him then let it be but if you have doubts there are consequences, you might ruin a cart that is in great condition if it is legit.

Wouldn't it suck to screw the thing up just to find out it is not a conversion.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Someone ripped open a Pulstar AES cart before and tore the sticker in half.

xorthen

Banned
I've decided to let it be. In a worst case scenario, if it turns out that it was fake, I have the guys name for reference. I'll probably sell it in the future after I've had my fun with it. It certainly appears like its authentic and it has that NEO cart smell as well. The manual seems very good condition as well.

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The real problem lies with the manuals and sticker being counterfeit....
I had somebody sell me a legit copy with a FAKE cart sticker years ago before those repros started being released. I never really took time to notice until I was ready to let it go and had to sell it as a converted cart.I also sold the manual but kept the insert.
I was PISSED because I paid TOP dollar for it and I'm guessing the seller attempted to open the cart and ruined the original sticker.
Even if you are a pro at opening up carts,mistakes happen and opening that particular cart is too great a risk imo.
Again,if the sticker and manual are legit,you should be fine.
BB

Last edited:

Robert

20 Year Member
You shouldn't give yourself headaches with such an issue. Everything seems perfect, so consider it just is. You'll fully enjoy your cart.

xorthen

Banned
The real problem lies with the manuals and sticker being counterfeit....
I had somebody sell me a legit copy with a FAKE cart sticker years ago before those repros started being released. I never really took time to notice until I was ready to let it go and had to sell it as a converted cart.I also sold the manual but kept the insert.
I was PISSED because I paid TOP dollar for it and I'm guessing the seller attempted to open the cart and ruined the original sticker.
Even if you are a pro at opening up carts,mistakes happen and opening that particular cart is too great a risk imo.
Again,if the sticker and manual are legit,you should be fine.
BB

Did you happen to scan or take any high quality pictures? I could do some high DPi scans of mine, and if anybody else has a copy we can compare manuals and stickers.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Does the CRC check with the Unibios detect if the cart is legit or fake?

No it doesnt, the CRC is more for checking if a rom gets corrupted and stuff.

Since most high end conversions use legit SNK chips the only way to spot a conv is by looking at the manual, insert, sticker and soldering job. And usually in that order.

xorthen

Banned
Isn't that atomikwave guy French? I'm very suspicious about this cart for two reasons.
1. The guy who was selling his Blazing Star and Pulstar on here said he bought it from a French guy.

2. After ordering from neo-amusement, I received a guys name on the packaging whose name wasn't Japanese. It's Vincent something. I'd have to look again.

Now, I'm no detective so I can't really figure out if theres a connection or if its just a coincidence.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
No it doesnt, the CRC is more for checking if a rom gets corrupted and stuff.

Since most high end conversions use legit SNK chips the only way to spot a conv is by looking at the manual, insert, sticker and soldering job. And usually in that order.
Surely you'd look at the soldering first?

I really don't think the artwork is sufficent if its a decent quality boot. Many variables occur in printing.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Surely you'd look at the soldering first?

I really don't think the artwork is sufficent if its a decent quality boot. Many variables occur in printing.

I said soldering last only because you dont want to break anything opening the cart if it is a legit cart.

But bottom line is buy from a trusted seller, always. The doubt that you are having could lead to you destroying a legit NGH cart in beautiful condition just to see that it is in fact legit.

If you have your doubts I would just return it and get it from someone you trust.

TLH

Zero's Secretary
Good advice all. That said, this Atomikwave stuff out of France has been popping up alot lately. The only way to tell is to open the damn thing! I have thought about buying an Atomikwave off ebay just to see how good of conversion it is. From the pics, its really hard to tell a conversion. These Atomikwave conversions are almost impossible to detect from pics on ebay. tlh

opening homecarts is not rocket science, there is a tutorial at jammanation and you can always practice on cheaper carts until you build enough confidence to open an expensive one.