Playing a Jamma PCB in your MVS cabinet

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
How hard is it to get a Jamma PCB board up and running on a standard MVS cabinet? I've got a 4 Slot hooked up with the regular MVS harness.

What would be involved with say trying to get a Virtua Fighter 2 PCB working (since it only uses three buttons, Punch, Kick, Block).

Ideally I don't want to hack or cut any wires. Would I just be able to use a Jamma to MVS Harness adaptor or something?

Has anyone done this?

Nightmare Tony

*Account control passed, on to Tony's family.Ex Ro
1. Some games require -5 volts. Make sure you get that wired in.

2. The speaker sound on the MVS cabinets is wired slightly differently than mono and you risk frying your sound amplifier. Pin 10 is usually + speaker and L is - speaker. On the MVS, 10 and L are + speakers for left and right and the -s are grounded.

A cheap and dirty way to fix this up, find the common ground to the -s on both speakers and remove the grounding then connect them together. The sound will be out of phase that way, thouh so reverse one of the speaker lead sets to end up like this:

10 ------ +spker- -------- +spker- ------ L

R3LL1K

n00b
How hard is it to get a Jamma PCB board up and running on a standard MVS cabinet? I've got a 4 Slot hooked up with the regular MVS harness.

What would be involved with say trying to get a Virtua Fighter 2 PCB working (since it only uses three buttons, Punch, Kick, Block).

Ideally I don't want to hack or cut any wires. Would I just be able to use a Jamma to MVS Harness adaptor or something?

Has anyone done this?
Sorry bro but Virtua Fighter 2 is a Sega Model 2 board which isn't Jamma. You would need to buy or build a Sega Model 2 to Jamma adapter and then go from there.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Sorry bro but Virtua Fighter 2 is a Sega Model 2 board which isn't Jamma. You would need to buy or build a Sega Model 2 to Jamma adapter and then go from there.

Yeah for those types of adaptions to JAMMA I would just build.... the nice thing with the jammaboards jamma->mvs is they have the audio circuit on teh adaptor. Then most of your variations on jamma you can just get a fingerboard and edge connector and then just do your own adaptor to get you to standard jamma.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Yeah for those types of adaptions to JAMMA I would just build.... the nice thing with the jammaboards jamma->mvs is they have the audio circuit on teh adaptor. Then most of your variations on jamma you can just get a fingerboard and edge connector and then just do your own adaptor to get you to standard jamma.
Unless there's a dip on the board to make it 15kHz, you'll either best case see nothing or scrambled graphics, or worse case ruin your monitor.

Medium res. Scan rate is all wrong.

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Yup I'll be sticking with the Standard Res jamma games then. Eventually I'll move everything over and build a dedicated CPS2 jamma cab to go beside the MVS.

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Quick question on getting sound to the speakers when running a Jamma PCB to an MVS Cab

The Tekken 2 PCB I picked up has an onboard volume nob so I can adjust the volume up/down. It works no problem, I think I'm just getting Mono though.

However, I can't seem to find the volume control on this 193 in 1 board I got off eBay. Could it be the little black nob near the dip switches? I'm not sure if anyone has a PCB similar to this. Do all Jamma standard PCB have some form of volume control on the PCB or secondary sound PCB? I'm just wondering if an MVS cabinet, like mine, would need to have a "in-line" volume control circuit built in. Any help would be appreciated!

This is what the 193 in 1 board looks like
193_0020_in_0020_1_0020_image_0020_copy.jpg

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I ended up finding the volume control, it's the circular orange philips pot (R13)

On a side note this board runs like sh*t. The framerate on almost every game I played is terrible. I would not recommend it. I'm sticking with OEM boards...

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I ended up finding the volume control, it's the circular orange philips pot (R13)

On a side note this board runs like sh*t. The framerate on almost every game I played is terrible. I would not recommend it. I'm sticking with OEM boards...
Lol.. What do you expect from emulators.

That trimpot should really be labeled VR1.