Consolized Hyper Neo

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Hello everyone.

Pictures will follow shortly...

Just finished messing about with a Hyper Neo, thought I'd do my version of consolizing on it (Nowhere near as neat as the pros we have on here.)

Lots of people will probably be thinking - "Why bother". I think "why not?". I fancied a project, and I already have superguns / modified wiring looms. Also I have 3 Rev2 mobos and these things are cheap as chips in the UK.

--I've only got Yellow, Green and Blue phono sockets (eBay!!!!). Once the red and white ones arrive, I'll switch the sockets over to make it a neater look. Hence these aren't too beautiful inside.
--Also thinking about spraying the casing
--Might epoxy over the soldering.

Power:
SC200 PSU wired in via the unused port under the JAMMA edge.

Controls:
Neo Geo style joystick port added for P1. It's such a ball-ache to drill these out and then wire them up, so I've only done P1.

Video:
Phono sockets for R, G, B, Sync, Gnd and Blanking (3V). Connected via a special lead which is basically scart to 21 phonos.
Yeah - I could have panel mounted a scart lead, but I like the look of a neat row of phono sockets.

Audio:
Phono plugs (currently via wires under the unit. I will probably drill more socket holes tomorrow.

Last edited:

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Jamma edge and Power Socket
2v1m5xc.jpg

Main wiring inside:
t6tnys.jpg

Video connections outside
2r2b0j4.jpg

Video connections inside
25f50r9.jpg

Controls Outside
fw16it.jpg

Controls Inside
2yuzqqu.jpg

SSS

neo retired
personally, if I were ever to do that to mine, I'd get a spare jamma harness and pop it on the edge connector and use those wires for all the connections vs soldering it so you can't use it in a cab now. otherwise, looks good.

does the sc200 even power that? I was under the impression they could handle a 2 slot, that's about it.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
I always thought an SC200 was underpowered for a H64. At least myself and Falk came to that conclusion some years back when attempting to consolise a rev.2 mobo.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The SC200 is strong enough but only difference is that it's best to not use the +12v line since the SC200 has a max continuous of 25 watts. You can use just a regualr +5v PSU that supplies at least 4A.

The Hyper uses the same sound chip as the MV1C but has 2 of them. One I believe is set for mono and one for stereo which is switchable.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Your wiring looks pretty damn neat...even matching colored zip-ties. Looks like a good start

Glad someone is consolizing a Hyper too. The idea always gets crapped on, but for me, its the only way my gf would let me get away with having one in the house haha...all neat and no superguns connecting boards, ect ect

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I have kicked around the idea of consolizing my Rev 1 as it never gets used. Of course if I did that I wouldn't likely use my Rev 2. So far, I have been more than happy using my supergun, but someday I will likely get bored enough to do it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I wouldn't mind doing one but I would want to change the enclosure.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Looks very nice! IDK why so many people have a problem with consolizing a Hyper 64 (aside from the obvious "there's only 4 games argument.") That looks very clean overall! I'm all about having my games in cabinets if I can, but I can appreciate a fine clean consolized board, and that is a nice clean consolized board! :)

BTW, El Capitan, it seems that NeoEsZ wants a consolized Hyper64, judging by his post in Neo Wanged; I'd PM him if you feel up to selling that one and/or making another.

-Collin

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I usually go by the Consolization parts cost:amount of games on format. If it's almost equal or higher than a cost of a game on the system I just pass on it. But of course if you can find an amazing deal on parts, why not?

In this case it would be about $60:4 games but keep in mind in the US we need an encoder which can range from $30-100 more. That's about $40 per game.

Where as a MVS would be about $150:155+-3, about $1 per game.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
I'm no pro at making these, and I think that buyer was in the US - this doesn't have a component encoder, so wouldn't work over there.

I just like doing the odd project. Currently staring at a NeoCD shell next to an MV1C.... It's a matter of time before that one gets done!

P00t

Fuck eBay & PayPal,
I just like doing the odd project. Currently staring at a NeoCD shell next to an MV1C.... It's a matter of time before that one gets done!

Loads have already done that though John, thought about doing something else?

I know 300Wins started a N64 for the MV1C, but doesn't look like that will be finished anytime soon, I'd like to see one of those completed.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Loads have already done that though John, thought about doing something else?

No no. A few have done it but ONE PERSON did a shit load of them, almost 100 I believe.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Finally, someone doing one of these right! No need for that hefty enclosure the other one had. The board is already enclosed just fine the way it is. It's silly to add extra bulk to a system, especially one that is already so big.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Finally, someone doing one of these right! No need for that hefty enclosure the other one had. The board is already enclosed just fine the way it is. It's silly to add extra bulk to a system, especially one that is already so big.

Totally agree - the casing is tough as nails.

I have a few Hyper Neo stickers which is as much "Case modding" as I expect will happen...