Cave's Future Plans

agustusx

Marked Wolf
I conveniently stole this thread from shmups, very relevant info considering all the interest here in ESPGaluda2 and Mushi Futari. Figure some of you may want to read this

According to Asada's last blog post, Cave is working on 5 new titles. This does not include ES2BL or DFKBL. (he doesn't specify much details, but all together they total 5):

1)A completely new arcade game ("completely" implies it's not a sequel to anything)
2)Original Xbox 360 game
3)Xbox 360 arcade port(s)
4)Development on "new hardware"

At the Cave festival on 12/27, he'll be able to talk about it.​

As my sig says, Pray the Pork gets a Port!. It would fit #3 pretty well. I know they are working on Guwange, but lets hope there is more coming as well.

EDIT: Might as well mention I have also read that Deathsmiles is geting a new DLC, something in the line of verion 1.1 MBL. Supposed to be out this spring.

As much as I love MMP, I can't see it getting a full business port. Same with Pink Sweets really... They'd be best off putting these games into a compilation. It's not that they aren't worthy, but if sales numbers for Futari are disappointing to them at all, then they cannot hope to push that number higher with these games.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Supposedly MMP is getting an XBLA release at some point. I don't think I'd buy it if it were a full-priced retail release. I watched a gameplay video not too long ago, and was really turned off by it. 4 minutes of boss-milking (on just the first level alone) is not my idea of fun.

It's not that they aren't worthy, but if sales numbers for Futari are disappointing to them at all, then they cannot hope to push that number higher with these games.

From what I've seen, Futari's sales numbers are pretty good for what it is. Not as good as the sales of Deathsmiles, but that's to be expected, since Deathsmiles is far more accessible (even the original arcade release).

Last edited:

agustusx

Marked Wolf
There are times when I am very business conscious, and other times when I don't give a hoot. Of course I'm sure Cave will be smart do things in a fashion that gets them a return on their investment. As much as I like discs, if a game is only available via the marketplace I will purchase it.

I realize that Pink Sweets and MMP are Cave's fringe titles, but I'm still very much interested in them. From what I have read with MMP I can make it harder on myself if I choose to, or not, which I like much. The bullet patterns are a good bit different from what they normally churn out so that is refreshing.

Out of Cave's line-up these games are prolly the most dissimilar to anything I have from them. If we had more companies making quality shmups there would be more variety to choose from. In that case I might not care as much about these games.

I'm no Cave whore, but I am a graphics whore. That makes it hard for me to go back 20 years and pick up a game seriously. With Psyiko out of business Cave makes the best looking shmups.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
That is extremely exciting.

I've sorta had this wish in my head for a while that Cave would make a Cave All-Stars game similar to what Batrider was for 8ing. That would be ultimately badass. Get Reco, the Ketsui heli, a DDP ship, and Ageha and that would be totally tits.

astrodan88

King's Dry Cleaner
Supposedly MMP is getting an XBLA release at some point. I don't think I'd buy it if it were a full-priced retail release. I watched a gameplay video not too long ago, and was really turned off by it. 4 minutes of boss-milking (on just the first level alone) is not my idea of fun.

Don't let that video fool you. MMP is very playable on a variety of skill levels. The boss milking is there, but one can score respectably by chaining medals. And consequently, the chaining medals in MMP is one of the most enjoyable scoring mechanics you'll ever experience.

It's a blast to play for the 1CC and the chaining here is a thrill, not a chore (I'm looking at you DoDonpachi) ;)

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Don't let that video fool you. MMP is very playable on a variety of skill levels. The boss milking is there, but one can score respectably by chaining medals. And consequently, the chaining medals in MMP is one of the most enjoyable scoring mechanics you'll ever experience.

It's a blast to play for the 1CC and the chaining here is a thrill, not a chore (I'm looking at you DoDonpachi) ;)

True. My fav Cave game by far.

I usually milk the stage 1 boss but after that I try to keep my rank down by dying every so often while keeping the medals maxed.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
This is awesome news as long as the 360 ports are region free... I'm getting ancy about Galuda 2. I'm not a huge fan of ESP Galuda 1, but I'd probably buy 2 anyway if it's region free. I'd def. buy Gunwange, Pink Sweets, or MMP in an instant if they were region free.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
The boss milking is there, but one can score respectably by chaining medals. And consequently, the chaining medals in MMP is one of the most enjoyable scoring mechanics you'll ever experience.

Medal chaining is alright, I guess...

I usually milk the stage 1 boss but after that I try to keep my rank down by dying every so often while keeping the medals maxed.

...but dying on purpose to manage the rank doesn't sound like much fun to me either.

MMP is starting to sound like Raiden Fighters Jet, but with boss milking, extends, smaller hitboxes, better bullet patterns, and chubby girls. I already have RFJ, so not sure if want.

Eh, if it's an XBLA release, I'll probably get it.

I'd def. buy Gunwange, Pink Sweets, or MMP in an instant if they were region free.

If they're XBLA games, then they're pretty much guaranteed to be available to everyone.

astrodan88

King's Dry Cleaner
...but dying on purpose to manage the rank doesn't sound like much fun to me either.

It really does feel different than the usual Raizing fare (though I love Raizing). Suiciding is a much smaller factor than other Raizing (or Craizing) games.

The main reason medal chaining is so fun instead of annoying is that you can "vacuum" the medals by switching between your main shot and secondary weapon. This means that you can fill the with screen medals without worrying about not being able to catch them all. When you see all those golden goodies fill the screen then... *slurp* all gone. Wow, it's really satisfying.
Usually it's a games aesthetics that pulls me in, but here it's all about the gameplay: creative bullet patterns and the fun scoring.

I don't mean to sound like a broken record but I really think if this game was widely available, it would be among Cave players' favorites. It's not nearly as divisive as Ibara and Pink Sweets.

If you love cave you'll appreciate the slight break from norm this game represents. Try it; I guarantee you'll like/love it. ;)

Last edited:

agustusx

Marked Wolf
It really does feel different than the usual Raizing fare (though I love Raizing).

The main reason medal chaining is so fun instead of annoying is that you can "vacuum" the medals by switching between your main shot and secondary weapon.

Yeah I love medal chaining even in Raizing games where it causes unintended deaths. It gets the heart rate up.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Medal chaining is alright, I guess...

MMP is starting to sound like Raiden Fighters Jet, but with boss milking, extends, smaller hitboxes, better bullet patterns, and chubby girls. I already have RFJ, so not sure if want.

MMP is nothing like RFJ. The scoring system is very cavish. Sure the hit boxes are a little bigger, extends come quick, and the difficulty ramps up when you have a large stock of extra lives...but I don't think that makes it anything like RFJ.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I only care about two things. Will they continue to release their 360 games on region free disks, so I can play them without having to buy another system? And, will the XBox Live Arcade Games be available on the American Marketplace? Considering that Guwange is ALL in Japanese (And that just makes it look cool as hell) I don't know what stupid ass Americans would think of it. When 98' came out everybody bitched about the end of round screens with Japanese text. They wouldn't hear the end of it if they released the game in all Japanese. But, fuck em' I'd still buy it.

I hate saying that Mushi is the only Cave game I own and after playing more and more of it, I want to own more of them. So hopefully they'll keep making new games and everybody will be able to play them. As much as I want to play Death Smiles, I don't want to play 65 for the game and 200+ for a Japanese region 360. I wish they could re-release the game with the added DLC their planning under a "Best Hits" label with a reduced price and on a region free disk.

agustusx

Marked Wolf
I only care about two things. Will they continue to release their 360 games on region free disks, so I can play them without having to buy another system?

I think we are all in the wait and see corner. I'm invested in a J system anyway so it don't matter. It's better for me if they aren't locked however for obvious reasons however.

Saturn2dfreak

Mickey's Coach
I think we are all in the wait and see corner. I'm invested in a J system anyway so it don't matter. It's better for me if they aren't locked however for obvious reasons however.

maybe for u, but not for US 360 owners. :oh_no:

agustusx

Marked Wolf
maybe for u, but not for US 360 owners. :oh_no:

I completely sympathize. But I guess I'm prepared for the invetiable shaft that us US gamers always get. I remember games like last bronx/shining force/Panzer dragoon Saga had more complete releases in japan. Last bronx had a complete extra disc and modes if you had the J version. Panzer dragoon Azel had some bonus minigames that were stripped from saga. Shining Force 3 only got 1/3 of the game stateside. This may not seem related but I think you understand where I'm coming from.

I hate it, but acknowledge there is a chance the region free business may not continue for retail releases. I'm a big skeptic but hope for the best.

Skat72

Kabuki Klasher
I already plan on getting a JP 360 for some of the shmups that have come out that were not region free. How hard is it to set up a JP 360 account to purchase some of the XBOXLIVE DL's? If muchi is a JP only DL, that alone is enough for me to set up a JP 360 account.

agustusx

Marked Wolf
I already plan on getting a JP 360 for some of the shmups that have come out that were not region free. How hard is it to set up a JP 360 account to purchase some of the XBOXLIVE DL's? If muchi is a JP only DL, that alone is enough for me to set up a JP 360 account.

I am prollly wrong, but there isn't a ton of JP marketplace stuff. Deathsmiles does have MBL and a future DLC, but I woldn't pay for the soundtracks to Otomedious :)

But to answer your question, its a lil bit of a pain to have a JP account honestly. You need to get points cards from overseas to fuel it. elixir has a good guide on getting going over here

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23501

I didn't do it this way meself, but I think it covers most questions you may have.

If cave releases any XBLA games, Im sure they will be for all regions. So if the pork gets a port without the disc you won't need to worry.

Skat72

Kabuki Klasher
Awesome, thanks for the link. It does look like it can be a bit of a pain, but of there ever ends up being some good JP region only games, I will most likely go about DL'ing them. I hope MMP is released for multiple regions.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
If they're XBLA games, then they're pretty much guaranteed to be available to everyone.
Pretty much, but I tried to download Call of Duty Classic here in Korea with my US account and got the message "This download is not available for your region" for the first time. So it is possible.

Fan service bullshit for Japan will flop even harder than their games, in the West.

agustusx

Marked Wolf
Fan service bullshit for Japan will FAP even harder than their games, in the West.
^^fixed

you mean like this?
2ik8dmw.jpg