poot's art

SSS

neo retired
why is it that almost everytime i post i get a message telling me that a mod has to check my post first and will post it for me later?

I think they instituted a system by which new members posts are checked to make sure they aren't spammers (we've had increasing rash of these recently). I think when you get to a certain # of posts you'll no longer need to be checked.

poot

n00b
ok, that makes sense then. i actually had an account here back in 2007 but it doesn't work anymore so i had to register again.

well looks like one of my posts never got uploaded so i'll just type it out again. i'm working on an animated nakoruru sprite in vector and will most likely raster it when it's done. i'll have something uploaded soon.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Looks good, but just a personal taste criticism... I don't care for the look of the faces. Too anime-ish for me. :/

poot

n00b
Looks good, but just a personal taste criticism... I don't care for the look of the faces. Too anime-ish for me. :/

even jubei and adon? i just did what fit best with the pixels underneath.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
even jubei and adon? i just did what fit best with the pixels underneath.

Jubei and Adon look good. With Nakoruru, though, it looks more off-model. Also, consider the lack of detail that the low resolution forces on the original sprites. I realize that Nakoruru is meant to look more anime-like than most of the others, but given the sprite source, for my money, you're not going to find a better look than this picture.

Again, please take all of this as the constructive criticism it is meant to be. Your work continues to blow me away.

I'm just hoping you'll consider doing Genjuro or Basara. :)

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
wow dude, those animations are way nice!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Amazing work, I do have to agree with Deuce about the faces, but other than that this is incredible!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Stop it! No sir, you are not derailing this with witty and upitty comments. Turn down the knob and act well.

poot

n00b
Good art, but where's poop's art?

www.scatterbrainstudios.net
http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=188492&highlight=poot's

thanks for the compliments, even though they are several months old! :lolz:
sorry for being MIA. i've started on one recently. i'm trying to figure out a work flow that's fast and efficient for sprites so that when (if) i make a fighting game it won't take 10 years to do it.

some things i should point out: even though the resolution is 4x bigger, the contrasts are barely there because of the thinner lines. i'm probably going to shade it like kof12 style to see if that helps but the way it is right now, i'd need to at least double the thickness of his lines.

btw, anybody thinking of doing some original sprites and wants to save some time, here's a great tutorial http://kiwi-rgb.deviantart.com/art/Speed-Spriting-with-Photoshop-117628734

Last edited:

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Perhaps a different coloring style (not [just] line thickness) would help? The coloring looks "pillowed" as they say in pixel art, where the lighting is always central to each portion of an object and gets darker around the edges. It works and it doesn't.

There are a lot of tricks in coloring animations. Perhaps the method you have works for what its made for, especially if it's one of many frames? For instance, it would seem that the bottom of his left foot should be light to be consistent with the coloring of the rest of the image, but making it dark makes that entire leg disappear and you're only focused on the action leg. Pretty neat on that one, poot. I'd almost be inclined to do the opposite with action foot and add some light around the ball/tip to create the illusion of a streak and/or signify the edge of the hit box.

poot

n00b
Perhaps a different coloring style (not [just] line thickness) would help? The coloring looks "pillowed" as they say in pixel art, where the lighting is always central to each portion of an object and gets darker around the edges. It works and it doesn't.

There are a lot of tricks in coloring animations. Perhaps the method you have works for what its made for, especially if it's one of many frames? For instance, it would seem that the bottom of his left foot should be light to be consistent with the coloring of the rest of the image, but making it dark makes that entire leg disappear and you're only focused on the action leg. Pretty neat on that one, poot. I'd almost be inclined to do the opposite with action foot and add some light around the ball/tip to create the illusion of a streak and/or signify the edge of the hit box.

yeah his foot disappears and that's what i was worried about. it wasn't my intention to add focus to his striking leg, i was just following his original colors but maybe that's why the original artists did it this way? if that's the case then it works with low resolution but with thinner lines there are less tricks to hide things and leave it to the viewers imagination.

i can't raise the resolution and follow the color pattern that it originally had because there is less contrast now. i want to keep it dynamic but simple so i've been redoing it in the kof12 soft lighting. i'm doing two versions though. when the kof12 version is done i'm going to finish the original scheme with some changes so that parts of his body don't disappear.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
You are exceptionally good at this.

poot

n00b
You are exceptionally good at this.

thanks

i finally finished the kof12 version but it's a little boring. i tried doing it as best i could to match how kof looks but i don't know. it didn't save me too much time and if i were to use that style i would have to find a much faster workflow. i'm still working on the old version to see how long it will take to complete a sprite that way.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
You say it's boring but I don't really see "boring" attached to that picture. It's got some great shading, and the mesh on the arm is terrific.

Once you perfect your process/workflow and can chug out a few of these in a row, I bet you could come up with some more amazing animations.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The original arts have great style. And even your "boring" KOF XII sprite with a low number of colors can come to life with a few layers of differential shading though.

poot

n00b
well when i say boring i mean it's a little less interesting to look at. the problem with adding another layer in kof12 style means that every layer of shadow comes with 3 or 4 gradiation layers with it. it would probably make it look even better but it also means that it will take even longer to complete one sprite :(

i want something that looks good and that won't take too long to animate. i plan on animating this sprite at some point and looking at the original animation where it came from, many of the frames are doubled so i might add some tweens to make it look smoother but still be the same amount of frames. if this was an all original sprite i could use this method http://kiwi-rgb.deviantart.com/art/Speed-Spriting-with-Photoshop-117628734 to zip right through everything. animating it would be another problem though.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
That looks incredible. Looking at the sprite however I see the arm being positioned differently, at least the fist looks to be a bit more towards the chest and the elbow seems more rigid on the original sprite. I still like your version better though, it looks more natural.

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
LOVE Adon and Mai, and really all of your work is incredible!

poot

n00b
thanks

the arm was redone to show more torque during his kick. i didn't like the old one so i took some liberties to change it.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The shading on the arm definitely gives it a more 3D feel.