"New" Sonic Collection coming to DS

pepharytheworm

Super Sidekicks 3
I would get it just cause I like playing video games in bed. My nomad is good but it gets kinda heavy. By the way I like the snk ports they release I hope they release more. I don't emulate and some of the games are too expensive even if you count NGCD. They should release a sonic portable collection that has the GBA, GameGear, NGPC, and Ngage releases. Would you not buy that?

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
This is going to sound bad, but I've purchased these games so many times, if I do decide to play this I'll probably just download it.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I don't know why they always leave out sonic cd in these sonic collections. I'm not going to buy this game and I already own the original sonic cd. I just don't know why they always do that.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
(Would be the right system to release SegaSonic on in terms of control scheme)

pepharytheworm

Super Sidekicks 3
I don't know why they always leave out sonic cd in these sonic collections. I'm not going to buy this game and I already own the original sonic cd. I just don't know why they always do that.

It is on the Sonic gems Collection though. Loads a lot quicker and better looking opening. Sound is not as good, close though.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Unless it has SegaSonic the Hedgehog, SegaSonic Cosmo Fighters, Sonic Eraser, Sonic Crackers, or some pieces of Sonic effing X-treme on it, there is no reason to ever release another Sonic compilation. Well, I guess a comp of the GameGear games would be OK, since they aren't ALL ported...

Edit: Forgot Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car

Last edited:

J. Max

judas,
I would get it just cause I like playing video games in bed. My nomad is good but it gets kinda heavy. By the way I like the snk ports they release I hope they release more. I don't emulate and some of the games are too expensive even if you count NGCD. They should release a sonic portable collection that has the GBA, GameGear, NGPC, and Ngage releases. Would you not buy that?

The NGage and NGPC games are the same...

This is a bad idea...how many times can they release the same games? They weren't that good to begin with!

pepharytheworm

Super Sidekicks 3

This is a bad idea...how many times can they release the same games? They weren't that good to begin with!

I thought that the NGage version was based on sonic advance, at least gameplay videos look that way.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Woulda got it if it included the Game Gear games.

bokmeow

If the "save anywhere" option is available, I may well consider this. I always get screwed on the collection of Chaos Emeralds, so to be able to collect them without having to play through from scratch is nice. NGPC's Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure still has the best save scheme.

fake

15 Year Member
No game is good enough to buy 6 times.

True, but that's not the issue I was responding to. I was responding to the quote that "they weren't even that good to begin with."

J. Max

judas,
True, but that's not the issue I was responding to. I was responding to the quote that "they weren't even that good to begin with."

1 and 2 are excellent. 3 is good. S&K is pretty good. But the formula gets old after a while. I wish that they would include Sonic CD and Knuckles Chaotix in one of these...Sonic CD has only been re-released one other time, and Knuckles has NEVER been re-released to m knowledge.

What I meant by that was that they weren't good enough to repackage 12 times and resell them over and over.

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
1 and 2 are excellent. 3 is good. S&K is pretty good. But the formula gets old after a while. I wish that they would include Sonic CD and Knuckles Chaotix in one of these...Sonic CD has only been re-released one other time, and Knuckles has NEVER been re-released to m knowledge.

What I meant by that was that they weren't good enough to repackage 12 times and resell them over and over.

Sonic CD was rereleased on the Saturn before the Gamecube, wasn't it? I'm sure it was. I seem to recall that's where the updated intro cartoon came from.

Anyways: Sonic was rad@$$
Sonic 2 was almost rad, but a touch glitchy
Sonic CD was just merely rad

Everything else was pretty much "MEH" until the NGPC one hit, which was more or less just Sonic 2 with Sonic 3's soundtrack anyways.

If this collection looks right and sounds right and plays right (I know, it's a lot to ask.....) and is less then $20 I may pick it up.

acg12xu

Trippin' Balls
They're probably going to fuck up like they did with the Genesis Collection and not include Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Incorrect.

SonicN on N-Gage is essentially Sonic Advance.

Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure for Neo Geo Pocket Color is an entirely different game. A lot of the zones draw inspiration from other Sonic games (primarily Sonic 2), but the level designs and boss fights are entirely new. It also happens to be my favorite game in the series.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Sonic CD was rereleased on the Saturn before the Gamecube, wasn't it? I'm sure it was. I seem to recall that's where the updated intro cartoon came from.
Incorrect. Sonic CD was released on SEGA CD, PC, and Gamecube. And on PS2, but only in Japan.

Everything else was pretty much "MEH" until the

NGPC one hit, which was more or less just Sonic 2 with Sonic 3's soundtrack anyways.
Sonic Pocket Adventure has unique level designs, unique boss fights, a unique art style, and a soundtrack the borrows from Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles, and Sonic Jam. It also has a sweet head-to-head mode, a puzzle feature, and Sonic 2-esque bonus levels. It's an original game, and the precursor to the Sonic Advance series.

If this collection looks right and sounds right and plays right (I know, it's a lot to ask.....) and is less then $20 I may pick it up.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Finally, this is what I think a Sonic compilation needs for me to consider it "worth it".

Genesis family:
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 w/Knuckles
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 w/Knuckles
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Blue Sphere (What you get when you plug Sonic 1 into S&K)
Sonic Eraser (Puzzle game on the MegaNet Modem)
Sonic CD (SEGA CD)
Knuckles' Chaotix (SEGA 32X)
Sonic Crackers (Unreleased prototype)

8-bit:
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic Chaos
Sonic Triple Touble
Sonic Blast
Sonic Labyrinth
Tails' Adventure
Tails' Skypatrol
Sonic Drift
Sonic Drift 2

All 8-bit games should be the Master System versions (to avoid screen cropping) with the Game Gear versions' color pallettes (which were slightly larger than their SMS counterparts).

Game Boy Advance:
Sonic Advance
Sonic Advance 2
Sonic Advance 3
Sonic Battle
Sonic Pinball Party

Misc systems:
Sonic Pocket Adventure
SegaSonic the Hedgehog

I only listed 2D games because we're talking about the DS here. I would buy the above compilation even though I own all the listed games (except SegaSonic) for the mere convenience of being able to easily take them with me.

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcotrigger
Incorrect. Sonic CD was released on SEGA CD, PC, and Gamecube. And on PS2, but only in Japan.

Everything else was pretty much "MEH" until the

NGPC one hit, which was more or less just Sonic 2 with Sonic 3's soundtrack anyways.
Sonic Pocket Adventure has unique level designs, unique boss fights, a unique art style, and a soundtrack the borrows from Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles, and Sonic Jam. It also has a sweet head-to-head mode, a puzzle feature, and Sonic 2-esque bonus levels. It's an original game, and the precursor to the Sonic Advance series.

Scratch Sega CD off the list as I was talking about rereleases. I forgot about the PC version - was that released before the Saturn version? Which cartoon did it use? I didn't think much effort was put into any Sega games on PC in the mid 90's. I never really played many of them, but they were generally referred to as inferior.

Also, I love Sonic Pocket, so don't get me wrong, but it was very heavily based upon Sonic 2 and there is no denying it. They may have mixed it up a little, tossed in a Knuckles boss fight, ect., but whatever....... it is much closer to Sonic 2 portable then an original game.

The GBA ones......... I just couldn't get into them, so I can't say too much, but to me Sonic Pocket felt more like the originals where as the first Sonic Advance felt more like the Dreamcast games done in 2d (to me anyways).

At any rate, I'd have to say that if anyone is going to play a version of these games aside from the original, go for the Saturn version as the games were ported and optimized for the system instead of being emulated. It's a nice package.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Quote:

Also, I love Sonic Pocket, so don't get me wrong, but it was very heavily based upon Sonic 2 and there is no denying it. They may have mixed it up a little, tossed in a Knuckles boss fight, ect., but whatever....... it is much closer to Sonic 2 portable then an original game.

Many of the zones have similar themes. That's the only similarity.

The level designs are completely unique.

The boss fights are completely unique.

The soundtrack borrows from Sonic Jam and Sonic amd Knuckles.

The art style is unique in that it's the only Sonic game to combine the potbelly old
style with the post-Sonic Adventure style.

It has two multiplayer modes. One involving collecting rings, one is a head-to-head.

The puzzle system is entirely new.

The ramps are taken from Sonic CD.

The game is a unique title and if you think differently then you haven't played enough of it. It has recycled zone names and a bit of a recycled soundtrack. That's it.

Clessy

Banned
Sonic CD sucks. There, I said it.

Finally a man that speaks the truth. Came out after sonic 2 and was vastly dated compared to it. Now I would of died for a Sega cd collection of sonic 1 2 3 and back in the day with cd audio.