Emulation status

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Cool. Awesome to finally see this coming together.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Basically, what will happen is that the MAME guys will get everything going, then someone else will take the source and work on adding in stuff like hardware optimization and such to make the emu take advantage of nice graphics cards and so on.

It's kind of funny seeing the blood in Asura Zanmaden come out as multicolored confetti.

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
multicolored - because those are untextured polygons that should use low-res textures...Drew says he will fix it in few days
confetti (polygons) - because there are some priority bugs, that make objects show in wrong order (like right order is backdrop layers, then 3D ground, then 3D char models, then 2D effects, then GUI - lifebars and stuff). Right now everything that is 3D overlays everything that is 2D, and since there are some 3D effects on projectiles, special effects, blood particles, their 2D sprites get covered by those untextured (yet) 3D polygons which makes the confetti stuff on screen

Deuce

multicolored - because those are untextured polygons that should use low-res textures...Drew says he will fix it in few days
confetti (polygons) - because there are some priority bugs, that make objects show in wrong order (like right order is backdrop layers, then 3D ground, then 3D char models, then 2D effects, then GUI - lifebars and stuff). Right now everything that is 3D overlays everything that is 2D, and since there are some 3D effects on projectiles, special effects, blood particles, their 2D sprites get covered by those untextured (yet) 3D polygons which makes the confetti stuff on screen

Thank you for that needless and redundant explanation, all of which could be deduced by anyone with even the slightest bit of knowledge of how emulators actually work.

And yes, since you didn't seem to get it last time, the "thank you" was very sarcastic.

Your English is pretty good, but you really need to work on understanding the subtleties of the language if you ever hope to hold a real conversation in it someday.

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
For someone who speaks english on internet only, I already know a good share of slang, but yeah its not perfect yet.

On topic: In preliminary build I was sent for testing, all those red/yellow/green polygon chunks and ground are fixed, now you see actual 2D sprite effects and ground texture (albeit with wrong palettes for now), so for everyone else this will be fixed in next MAME update

Yao

Quiz Detective
For someone who speaks english on internet only, I already know a good share of slang, but yeah its not perfect yet.

On topic: In preliminary build I was sent for testing, all those red/yellow/green polygon chunks and ground are fixed, now you see actual 2D sprite effects and ground texture (albeit with wrong palettes for now), so for everyone else this will be fixed in next MAME update

awsome:glee:
can't wait to finally play SSAZ online. Black Shroud, I am thankful for any information on the emulation status you post here.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
Thank you for that needless and redundant explanation, all of which could be deduced by anyone with even the slightest bit of knowledge of how emulators actually work.

And yes, since you didn't seem to get it last time, the "thank you" was very sarcastic.

Your English is pretty good, but you really need to work on understanding the subtleties of the language if you ever hope to hold a real conversation in it someday.

Wow, that's a tad out of line, even for you.

Now, to add something to this thread. It's good to see a great deal of progress has been made to get Hyper 64 emulation going. Maybe one day, I can get some good play-time in on Buriki One, since the only person I knew that had a board and that title has since sold it.

Last edited:

Deuce

Wow, that's a tad out of line, even for you.
How's that? This fool pesters me for who knows how long for help with identifying creatures from SSRPG, offers not a word of gratitude when I do so, and acts like some kind of walking Horn of Plenty when it comes to knowledge of the SamSho series. He took my offhanded comment (obviously in jest to anyone who actually understands English) and used it as another opportunity to show how much more he knows about emulators and the inner workings of games than other people. I may not be a programmer, but I can figure out easily enough when something has a texture glitch, palette glitch or something similar... and I'd wager that most others here could do the same with minimal effort.

To put it simply, he's earned my overall dislike, and as such, he'll be treated with all the courtesy of a destructive invasive species.

Last edited:

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
I guess I was inattentive, and your sarcasm didnt made it easier, but now here you go:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177727&page=15
As I said english is not my native language, thus I may or may not understand the sarcasm. In regard to my english skills and my SS knowledge, Im afraid criticizing them wont change them, so this is going nowhere. From now on, I will try to refrain from responding to your forum posts as to not hurt your feelings with my destructive invasive english. Thanks for all and take care.

On topic:
Drew has more progress on HNG64:
http://ajg.mameworld.info/
Now ring in Buriki One and road in racing games are visible. He also said that he is close to figuring out SSAZ bug that causes background element to shift after the camera, instead of being fixed.

Also discussion about HNG64 sound emulation can be found here:
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthread...109&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1
Maybe someone can provide some useful info to devs regarding the sound system

Last edited:

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
Would one of the homos mind telling me how SSAZ plays in comparison to the NG titles? What title does it play most like if it's at all similar to any? I've never touched the game and will definitely give it a shot as soon as emulation is ironed out.

Deuce

Would one of the homos
:spock:

mind telling me how SSAZ plays in comparison to the NG titles? What title does it play most like if it's at all similar to any? I've never touched the game and will definitely give it a shot as soon as emulation is ironed out.

It's kind of its own beast. It's got elements of 3 and 4 and SS64, all rolled into one crunchy, chocolatey treat. It plays primarily in 2D, though the 3D element plays a significant enough role in two aspects: a, your typical dodge maneuver, and b, location-specific damage. A hit to the torso or head is going to do a lot more damage than something that glances off the enemy's arm or leg.

Control is more loose than the NG games, and the pace is slower. It's very deep, though, and the move lists for all the characters are extensive. If you can, try firing up Samurai Shodown! 2 for the Neo Geo Pocket Color, as it's based very directly on Asura Zanmaden.

A - Weak slash
B - Strong Slash
C - Unique attack/throws
D - Dodge

Tapping a direction + attack usually will result in different moves. fwd + C is usually your basic body-toss throw, while f, f + C will net you some kind of either unique throw or bigger attack.

When POWed, certain moves can be powered up by pressing A+B with the joystick command to activate them. This reduces the time left that you can remain POWed, but there is no onscreen indicator of how much time you have left. You can usually net 2-3 POWed specials if you do them quickly, but as long as it's still at max, you can activate your super.

The most obvious change with this one is that the Slash and Bust designs look different from one another, to varying degrees. Genjuro and Ukyo don't change much at all, while Asura and Shiki change radically. Bust Shiki actually has completely different normals and specials from her Slash counterpart.

On that note, Enja Kazuki and Suija Sogetsu (the Bust incarnations) in this game are, for all intents and purposes, separate characters (and NOT the same as the half-assed garbage variants that Yuki Enterprises shat out for 5/5S/6). Both fight without weapons completely, and have a different focus. Enja Kazuki is slow, but ridiculously strong. He fights using only punches, while Suija Sogetsu only uses kicks and is generally faster. Both have "transformation" moves that effectively net them super armor, remove their ability to block or jump, and completely change their movesets.

It's honestly a fine game that never got the attention it deserved.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
On that note, Enja Kazuki and Suija Sogetsu (the Bust incarnations) in this game are, for all intents and purposes, separate characters (and NOT the same as the half-assed garbage variants that Yuki Enterprises shat out for 5/5S/6).

[[[[hugs]]]]

no homo.

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
Cool writeup. Definitely extra motivation to finally get a PC stick.

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
In case someone needs MAME++ 0.136u2, you can find it here.
Better turn auto frameskip off when using it, since it will skip more frames than needed (unlike normal MAME)

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
Last edited:

Deuce

Did they get the sprite/3D priorities sorted out?

JimmyDean

n00b
WTF! I was just congratulating the guy on his progress, goddamn! And for future refrence, I don't give a shit about my rank. I really don't give an effing shit. What I do give a shit about is playing hyper 64 games! Jesus Christ! Sorry, but honestly, WTF!