0029.png

00352.png

00211.png

00231.png

00173.png

0024.png

SSS

neo retired
At least sam sho games load now. They're still a long way off though.

it´s only 2d stuff for now and no sound, still a long road to go.

still, some top notch production snk pulled for the hyper64 releases.

a 2d game on it would have looked incredible.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Wow, I'm good for something! Glad it helped him with his progress. That reminds me, I need to capture all the hidden cars in RE.

SSS

neo retired
SNK really lost the source code to these games? I keep imagining a rapid emulator build like what happened with the CPS3 after encryption was broken. Really would love to play Sam Sho 64 with some anti aliasing.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I had no idea the H64 ran in medium resolution. Looks nice. Never had the chance to play one in person...did the cabs use Medium res monitors like the Model 1 and 2 games did? Or was it mostly conversion cabs running these games...

SSS

neo retired
I had no idea the H64 ran in medium resolution. Looks nice. Never had the chance to play one in person...did the cabs use Medium res monitors like the Model 1 and 2 games did? Or was it mostly conversion cabs running these games...

It's standard res AFAIK. At least the fighter board runs on normal monitors, it was designed so it could be easily dropped in MVS cabinets.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
They might have output at standard res, but it looks like they used a higher resolution internally, if these screenshots are accurate.

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
As I recall, some of samsho64/2 games reviews said that there was some trick, so games "appear as if they run in high resolution"

SSS

neo retired
It's just an interlaced picture, gives more vertical lines than the neos standard progressive style image. Like running a naomi in 15khz through a capcom IO. It's not high res.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
512x432 resolution was the actual resolution of the overall output, which matched the 2D artwork and backgrounds (not very high, and well within the range of a standard-res monitor). The 3D that made up the characters was lower, though, which made them look pixelated and blocky. I imagine it was just pixel-magnified.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Once the emulation reaches 100%, SNK will probably release a H64 collection for consoles or put the games up on PSN and XBLA.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Oi, Shroud. I have both SS games, as well as Buriki-One. If they're looking for videos to test their results against, I can see about scaring something up, if you want to pass the word along.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Oi, Shroud. I have both SS games, as well as Buriki-One. If they're looking for videos to test their results against, I can see about scaring something up, if you want to pass the word along.

My youtube channel has more than 100 Hyper Neo vids.

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
(reposting from my forum)
I contacted Kale/Angelo Salese to ask about future progress of SSAZ emulation (next step of which should be making 3D models and ground visible). He said that he and Haze are mainly 2D experts and dont have necessarily knowledge of the 3D stuff. This means we will get some emulation progress only after someone from 3D MAMEdev experts decides to work on HNG64 driver in its present state - when it will happen is completely unknown unless I will manage to contact them myself.

On a brighter side, I should remember that other HNG64 games display 3D models, and the reason why SS64 and SSAZ dont, may be simply because their very gameplay was unaccessible to any testing for all but several recent days. Since both games now properly enter gameplay, and their problem is basically 3D textures being invisible, theres a big chance that this 3D problem can be solved in same fashion as it was solved previously in other HNG64 games.
(end repost)

I also sent him testing results, a link to SSAZ article on my site, and a link to sirorim youtube channel (which has alot of SSAZ video footage) to use as references.

Right now I am interested in possibility of ripping 2D sprites from SSAZ (backdrops/effects), and since several sprite layers are displayed there at same time, I would need a way to enable/disable different sprite layers. Maybe I should ask mamedevs about mame cheat file that will allow to toggle those layers on/off..

@ Deuce
SS64 and SSAZ games right now display only 2D stuff, that means user interface (menus, lifebars), 2D backdrops, and special effects from hits/special moves.
Therefore, in those games testing larglely comes down to which 2D effects are displayed and which arent. I think I got most of them checked, but you can test games, too, this basically involves performing all special moves of characters both in MAME and on actual hardware. Since both SS64 and SSAZ are emulated faster than they should, inputting some special moves can become tricky.

As for Buriki One, its controls dont respond in MAME right now, so you can only view (and check emulation quality) of the intro. In last update they fixed palettes of all the textures, and major graphics bugs there consists in some parts of 3D character models missing. I dont think Buriki One will have much to test until they will fix the controls.

Video references, well I sent them this
http://www.youtube.com/user/sirorim
as video reference source for SSAZ

and I think this channel (which I havent sent to them yet)
http://www.youtube.com/user/SupremeJudge
can serve as reference for Buriki One

Last edited: